AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with someone in the product development dept today at Zenith. This new box sounds very interesting. It WILL have a 3rd generation 8VSB tuner and 3 HD inputs! The 3 HD inputs include satellite, cable HD & OTA HD. This makes it unique in that you can FINALLY get a box to seamlessly handle all 3 high def signals (if you're lucky enough to have them). With the 2nd generation boxes, you need an A/B switch to flip between 2 8VSB signals. Although the RCA can accept 2 8VSB signals, it doesn't do it automatically since it doesn't have the Advanced Program Guide. This looks like it will be the premiere STB. The downside, not until the summer.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ken,

Did they say anything about flexibility of upconvert formats?. What I'd really like to see in a box is the ability to set what output format you want for each input format, so you could set it up like the Sony's variable mode, or full native, or native except 720p etc.

With any luck they are monitoring places like this to see the various shortcomings of the other boxes to finally build one that combines all the best features, and avoids some of the bonehead ones.

Tony

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Saw one in Indianapolis this past spring and we discussed it

briefly. At 1K price point and it doesn't do anymore than the

DTC 100. . .how many you think they're going to sell?

Hummer

·
Registered
732 Posts
I just saw the STB at CEDIA's Regional in Chicago. It will retail for $650. It has HD output as well as S-Video and Composite at the same time!It has RGB as well as Component outputs. Also optical as well as coax digital output. They used it to feed their PRO1200 with the 8" guns.

As an installer, it will make my life a lot easier.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I am beginning to like the sound of this Zenith...Let's hope it turns out as good as it sounds so far.....

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
This info is from TWICE, This Week In Consumer Electronics magazine.

Zenith IQDTV-1080

DirecTV / ATSC DTV / NTSC

All Formats>1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, All Formats>NTSC

RGB via VGA HD & Component

Built in DD decoder

Enhanced line doubler

No IEEE 1394

Available June 2001

MSRP $699.95

The 1st generatation Zenith DTV tuner outperformed all other DTV tuners, until the RCA DTC-100 showed up. Let's hope this unit also sets new DTV reception standards, too.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
What I would like to see is the above prima donna Zenith STB married to a Tivo-like HD PVR. Hasn't Zenith announced something like this for availability later this year?

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
182 Posts
Zenith has an opportunity to introduce a killer STB incorporating

the now current technology (DTC-100, tivo & replay applications,

firewire, Direct TV, etc.) for both HDTV and other than HDTV (Digital

& Analog)and sound (all available). They have the technology and they

have the people to put it together. Let's see what's offered and at

what price. It will define Zenith's commitment to this emerging

market. I'd also like to see in their HDTV's custom programmable

applications whereby the picture in a picture could be a computer

screen. Also where the menu could be flexible for additions and

deletions and setup for specialized applications of "convergence".

Anyone have any thoughts or information about something like this happening?

Hummer

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Zenith did mention a TIVO/HD-STB that they thought they might premier at the end of 2001. From the last I saw, this product will now be put off until Summer of 2002.

Lee

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hummer,

Beg to differ with you. The Zenith will do alot more than the RCA. It will have the advanced program guide, ability to handle 3 HD inputs WITOUT A/B switching as you do with the RCA, both VGA and component outputs, ability to output 720p etc. That seems like a whole lot more than the RCA offers. I've got the RCA now and am looking to replace it.

Let me tell the group something now from my own experience. The built-in Zenith tuner in my Zenith HDTV is clearly superior to any other STB unit's OTA tuner I've tried. I say that because it is obviously sharper and more dimensional in terms of its picture quality. If they incorportae those picture characteristics PLUS all the additional goodies that the new box will offer, than I for one will be one happy camper. However, we've learned from the past, that the product that turns up vs. the product we thought was coming, are very often two different things. We can only hope.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ken. . .

You're absolutely correct. I would like to see Zenith put out a much

superior product as the evolution goes forward not just a copycat of

what's currently available. Someday these manufacturers will get bold

and rather than follow the follower, break out and do something really

innovative. I hope it's Zenith, how about your?

Hummer

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hummer, I agree, I hope the Zenith IS that special box. I'd love to buy another Zenith product just to spite BOB.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Ken,

As you know, I also have been looking for that "special" set-top box. I took a different route and decided to try the HTPC route. I purchased the Accessdtv card (discussed more in the HTPC forum). While it has some initial bugs, it is just an amazing card. It matches the picture of the STBs, can record HDTV (with digital audio) and playback at full resolution, and can scale 480i->1080i. My digital cable channels look very good through it, versus my Mits HD400 which was blurry.

While I personally cannot yet record CBS, I recorded ABC, NBC, Fox and WB HDTV and the playback was the same as the reception. The card is about $500 and you need to commit to a $10/month program guide subscription to get new feature releases. The HTPC is not as convenient as a STB, but then again, I have my own Tivo HD now.

By the way, I still get audio dropouts like I did on the Mits HD400. I think that, someday, we will find out that the problem is tied to a "chipset" used either by the broadcasters or in our boxes. No manufacturer is willing to admit this, and they will try to get around this hardware problem through software as much as they can.

------------------

Rich

·
Registered
732 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner available, so here is the info off their cut-sheet.

Zenith/Inteq HDTV Set-Top Box

Receives DirecTV SD/HD and converts to 1080i, 720p, 480i/p

ATSC Tuner- All 18 formats received and converted to 1080i, 720p, 480i/p display

NTSC Tuner - With 3-line comb filter, converted to 1080i, 720p, 480i/p

Aspect Ratio correction 4:3 and 16:9

Switchable Output - 1080i, 720p, 480i/p

Dolby Digital Decoder

Antenna/Dish Tuning Indicator - Visual and Audio Tone

Bit Mapped Graphics Menus

RGB 15 Pin Output

Y, Pb, Pr Out (switchable Hi-Res/Normal)

A/V Monitor Out

S-Video Out

DirecTV Antenna In

2 RF In and Loop Out

Smart Card Slot

Dolby Digital Coax out, Optical out

Fixed Audio Output

RJ11 Phone Jack

It is Silver, and has a curved face.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I called last week and they said November 1 was a ship date. When I asked for pricing, they could not answer (as in did not know). In my opinion, THis does not bode well for a release on November 1.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My Zenith rep called me last night. He said that the ship date is moving up to this month!!! I hope that he is right.The new retail price is up to $1199. I will let you know as soon as they hit my door, as I have 12 now on order!

·
Registered
393 Posts
A msrp of $ 1,199? That seems high in today's market place. Unless this stb is significantly better then what's available now they won't sell too many of these.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.