AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a chance to see the Zenith P42w24b. It was next to the new Pany 42pa2ou. Both looked very good. I really, really, really want the Panasonic, but the Zenith was $1000 less. Now I know I can get the pany for less yet on the net, but if I could get a very good product locally, then I would. So, how do these two units compare (in your expert opinions). I will appreciate your insights in making my decision to purchase a Zenith locally, or to order a Panny on the net and save a couple of hundred dallors.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
692 Posts
Quote:
They don't.Get the Pana.
Wow...that was informative.

I too saw the same plasma and was impressed with it for the price. I would say image quality was the same if not slightly better then the Samsung model it was next to.

What I really did like about the Zenith was the black bezel. It looked very nice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wonder too.

I saw the Zenith at best buy and thought it looked pretty nice. Both the panny and Zenith are in the current best buy ad. $4500 for panny, $3000 for Zenith. I notice the panny has a higher contrast ratio (3000:1 vs the zenith 1000:1)

I could get the panny online too for 3k, but I want it local so I can get an extended warrenty...

I'd also like to know this

·
Registered
698 Posts
gamer,

you can buy extended warranties online too.Some plasma etailers sell them.You don't even have to buy your plasma from them. bm

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still have not heard from someone who has a Zenith. As to the warranty, I live so far away from any of the Panny service centers that the in home warrenty would have to be the way to go. That is why I am looking at the consumer Panny vs. looking at the commercial Panny.

Don't know anything about the Zenith warranty either.

So, Zenith owners (experts), sound off please.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picture quality on the Zenith isn't bad. It handles hi def signals better than the Samsung plasmas. However, it downconverts the the hidef signal to 480.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
As does the Samsung.

As does the Panasonic.

As do all the "ED" plasmas.

And they look great.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I looked at those two in the local BB recently and they did seem quite close. The Zenith (to my eyes anyway) seemed to show a bit more graininess on their standard color loop. When the loop got to a black and white footage segment (some Eagles concert) there was a major difference which favored the Panny. The Zenith had a ????hue??? that looked gray/green tinted while the Panny looked.....mmmm...black and white, and quite crisp, vs the Zenith which tended toward the soft side. OK, pretty strange to be comparing multi-thousand dollar color panels on a black and white input, but I'd suspect it carries over to other areas as well.

Mort (who also likes Ansel Adams :D)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Just remember that BB does nothing to actually show the strengths or any given plasma. Their feed is usually dirty, and always stretched futher than should be with not enough amplification. Basically, what you see is how the various plasmas can handle a mediocre signal. Kind of makes it a more level playing field. It's when the units get a good signal and are calibrated nicely that particular models tend to stand out.

For the record, I have no idea what Zenith looks like under good conditions, so I can't speak to that. I can only say that BB shows what they look like under poor conditions at best.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I saw that Zenith at Ken Crane's in Buena Park and it looked fantastic to me. They had it on a DVD feed.

They had it at the penny-under-3-grand mark as well.

Very nice and very, very tempting.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gamer
Between Zenith and the Akai, what's the better choice?
I don't know which is a better choice. the Akai 4294 comes with a built-in tuner and side speakers. I don't believe the Zenith does.

Also the Akai has a DVI-hdcp input which, again, I don't know about the Zenith.

The Zenith is made by Lucky Goldstar in Korea and Akai is made by Samsung in Korea.

Personally I liked the looks of the Zenith more than the Samsung/Akai and the picture seemed a bit crisper and brighter. (That may just be brand prejudice since the "Zenith" name sounds better than "Akai").

The Akai might be the better bargain, but I'm intrigued by the Zenith.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That model Zenith does have DVI-HDCP input according to their website.

I too like the Zenith better then the Akai. I have not seen the two side by side, but from memory the Zenith looked much better. (Costco here has the Akai setup with nasty composite cables...it really looks horrible).

Also, I prefer the Zenith bezel and the Zenith brand name.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My wife and I spent the day looking for a plasma. I want to buy it here in Pensacola. We saw the Zenith next to the Panny and with these old eyes I could not see a difference in pq, and we saw them at three difference stores.

The part that is bugging me the most is Zenith with 1000:1 contrast and Panny with 4000:1 look the same to me. If I knew the "why" it would help me decide. I just wish some one who has a Zenith would post good or bad. This will be a bedroom tv with D* and a HD STB, on a stand and I just want to make the right choice. If any one knows the "why", please tell me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Zentih is better because of it's DVI input, and IMO (and most others') it is a nicer looking design. They make a brushed aluminum bezel and I think it is the best looking plasma available at any price.

Funny thing is, the only time the contrast ratio is obvious is when the display is off. The Panny is almost black and all others are a shade of dark grey. Right now I'm watching the Tonight Show in HD and I don't think the blacks could be any blacker on my Pio. I'd be worried that the other pixels would start swirling around the black pixels and get sucked in.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I too think the Zenith is great looking, cosmetics-wise.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.