AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below are the specs off the zenith website.

42" Plasma ED Monitor

Groundbreaking display technology delivers superior image clarity, color and brightness in large-format televisions that are less than 4" thick. Includes built-in EDTV Tuner.

Digital Cable Ready (CableCARDâ„¢)

This HDTV includes a cable tuner which allows reception of digital cable programming without the need for an external cable box.

852 x 480p Resolution

High resolution format produces extremely detailed imagery

5000:1 Contrast Ratio

Extremely sharp contrast between light and dark images

1000 cd/m2 High Brightness

Renders an incredibly bright picture, even in well-lit areas

HDMI with HDCP

HDMI provides an uncompressed transfer of high definition video from a digital video source to a digital display device. HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) ensures copy protection of the content.

Orbiter/Whitewash Function

Picture orbiter and whitewash functions to prevent burn-in in Plasma

Aspect Ratio Correction

Intelligent resizing of video and computer images to 16:9 widescreen or 4:3 conventional formats

RS-232 Controls and NTSC, HD, VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA and DVI Inputs

Compatible with DVD players, VCRs, computers, digital broadcasting, multimedia and traditional video sources

Fan-Free, Noise Free Operation

I would love someone to post a review of this unit, especially how it compares to last year's model with the faroudja chip. I am curious if anyone knows what chip this unit uses.

Last year's p42w46x use to compare favorably to competing major brands, and I am curious if this one still does.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Hello,

Several of us here on AVS have this set and are very happy by all accounts.

When I was doing comparisons on all the usual suspects I found the Z42PX2D to be a good bit better than the Samsung 4232 which I could never adjust to my liking. I used the Panny PD50U as the exemplar due to its excellent PQ. Fortunately BB had a PD50U on both sides of the same aisle and multiple comparisons were made relatively easy. There are only so many consumer sets to be had in ED at this price range so that helped as well.

Having already adjusted the Zenith to 95% or so (to my eyes and others) of the Panny PQ, I pounced on it when BB reduced the price last week. The connectivity of this set is superb. The side mounted speakers make the thing look huge and my wife thought she was looking at a larger screen. It truly fills our space and I have been busy adjusting it during break-in this past week. Finally got into the Service Menu the other night and am very pleased with its extremely comprehensive operational control. My set had a green push most visible in dark/black clothing/shadow detail (also in blondish hair) but that is now well under control after a few color adjustments with the Gains and Cuts.

Not having seen the previous iteration I can't speak to the DCDi comparison. I know LG offers the same set with differing configurations and DCDi in both HD and ED. I considered getting the LG ED but the availability factor and ease of return with BB made the decision easier to go with Zenith.

Basically I passed on the PD50U which I still consider the 'Gold Standard' of ED because of

its slightly higher price after BB reduction, lack of screen outline, more limited connectivity (especially no Cablecard) and somewhat ugly stand (although I could get used to anything...not sure about the wife). The Panny will always have the deepest Blacks however.

·
Registered
729 Posts
"...and somewhat ugly stand (although I could get used to anything...not sure about the wife). "

You mean you're not sure you can get used to the wife!?!? :confused:

:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am getting excite in thinking that the msrp on this tv might drop to $1,499 by thanksgiving. Two things are prompting me to think this. First, is the statement by a best buy executive stating that LG had committed to delivering a plasma at this price by such date. Second, is the rumored pending price drops coming from panasonic, which have the ED panasonic dropping to 1,999. Both of these point to the Z42PX2D being an obvious choice for a price drop versus introducing a new model. If these rumored price drops happen, it might turn into a record 4th quarter of sales for plasma. Let's hope it all comes to fruition.

ccgil

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Well you keep waitin' for those price drops...meantime I'll be enjoying the NFL season and Discovery HD, INHD1 & 2, etc. etc. :p

Just kidding :)

Actually I agree with you although $1500 might be a tad low. More power to anyone who can nab this little jewel at that price!!! Time will tell.

What Panny needed to do for guys like me was make the PD50U with CableCard and a user service menu... and it couldn't hurt to lose the "duck feet".

I'm at 200 hours and this thing just keeps getting sweeter. ESPN HD tonight was just so tasty...and this was 720P feed which previously never really looked as impressive on my Z as 1080i.

Waiting on an Oppo player so I can upconvert. While DVD is very good this humble ED just loves the high-def feeds.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar
Well you keep waitin' for those price drops...meantime I'll be enjoying the NFL season and Discovery HD, INHD1 & 2, etc. etc. :p

Just kidding :)

Actually I agree with you although $1500 might be a tad low. More power to anyone who can nab this little jewel at that price!!! Time will tell.

What Panny needed to do for guys like me was make the PD50U with CableCard and a user service menu... and it couldn't hurt to lose the "duck feet".

I'm at 200 hours and this thing just keeps getting sweeter. ESPN HD tonight was just so tasty...and this was 720P feed which previously never really looked as impressive on my Z as 1080i.

Waiting on an Oppo player so I can upconvert. While DVD is very good this humble ED just loves the high-def feeds.
With my discount I'm sure I could nab it for that price..

·
Registered
137 Posts
the Packers game looked sweet last night .. at first I was bummed because of some distortion .. but then I realized that it was the rain .. damn HD, I don't need to see every raindrop, I wonder if there's a way to filter that out :)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0N3
the Packers game looked sweet last night .. at first I was bummed because of some distortion .. but then I realized that it was the rain .. damn HD, I don't need to see every raindrop, I wonder if there's a way to filter that out :)
There is...switch to NTSC :D

I'm sure you toggled back and forth as I did between the SD ESPN and the HD. It's like living in the Stone Age. :eek:

Of course this is unfair as even these ED panels are not optimized for SD. Temporarily, I still have the 27" Toshiba sitting on the floor near the Z and use it for more proper signal comparison. Of course, still no contest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.