AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after seeing it mentioned here a few times favorably I went down to BB to take a look, and have to say I was impressed. I actually thought the picture was better than the Panasonic PD50, though I think BB is notorious for poor feed and poor (if any) set calibration. The comparison was a little tough, since the Panny was on the floor of a narrow aisle so I couldn't get more than several feet away, and the Zenith was in a different aisle so I couldn't compare them side by side. But the blacks and color seemed comparable, and with the Zenith I actually thought the SDE was less than on the Panny. I know this shouldn't be, since they're both 852x480, but I swear the pixels were more noticeable (and for this "test" I got within three feet of both sets) on the Panny. And from a distance the "jaggies" that had bothered me so much on text on the Panny seemed a lot less pronounced on the Zenith.

All that said, I'd still spring for the PX50 if I had the bucks, but for a filler until SED comes along (then bedroom set) I think I'd have to give the nod to the Zenith, especially with the better connectivity.

Has anyone else given the Zenith a good look-see? I wish I knew somewhere other than BB to check it out.

And I know this has been discussed in other threads, but does anyone have an informed opinion of how much more we can expect plasma prices to fall within the next 3-6 months? I so want to buy a good HD and DVD set, but I also need to be money conscious at the moment.

Thanks!

Heidi

·
Registered
137 Posts
heidi,

Several ppl here have been tweaking with this set during the 100 hour break in. At 200 hours I must say that I am very impressed with the PQ .. it does a great job handling HD content and SD looks great. I've had this set on very low contrast and brightness settings with phenomenal results. You can also fine tune it with the service menu (I haven't had a reason to mess with that yet).

The blacks are up to par with the Panny .. colors are fantastic and there isn't any "push" on reds or greens. I've heard some ppl say they had a green push, but easily cured it through the service menu.

One of the best features: custom settings are memorized for each video input. This was a big surprise for me because now I don't have to change custom vid settings for my DVD, Sat, or XBox when I switch from one to the other.

SDE was a big concern for me because I am on the fringe between 7-8 feet viewing distance. I've had no problems with SDE at this distance.

The set looks great in my living room and I can't wait to mount it .. the stand looks good much better than the PD50 .. I like the wider look of the Zenith and even though I really don't need the side speakers, they do sound very good with many different sound options.

With the peace of mind Orbiter, Inversion and White Wash screen protection, you can't go wrong with this set. Definitely worth a BB 30 day trial. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Hello Heidi,

I have to agree with my bud BON3. This set is a sleeper IMO. I am at 150 hours or so and now have Cablecard installed with Comcast Digital Plus. I also agree with both you and Joe (BON3) that the SDE on this set is less apparent than on the PD50U even though pixel size is the same. I believe this has to do with what Panny does to get the Black levels they achieve making the pixel borders more dark but also more noticeable for SDE.

Any Zenith ED owners I have been in contact with seem to have the same plan. Quality ED now at this size and 50" or larger HD in a few years. I suspect this plan is rather ubiquitous no matter the make. In my case I will expect to have Panny once again at the top of the list as was the PD50U.

If you are going ED, perhaps specifically this Zenith ED and you are a cable user then by all means take advantage of the Cablecard if you can. Panny should have offered it but didn't. For me this was a deal-killer. On this ED with the stated feed SD is Good to Very Good, HD is generally excellent, sometimes downright superb depending on station, especially anything 1080i. You will simply love it. Every time I watch something on Discovery HD I am completely reassured about the plan to go ED now and buy HD later.

Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great feedback. I think this just may be the set for me. Cablecard isn't really a huge issue, since I want to be able to use On Demand, and cablecard isn't compatible with that. But I think the other features give this set the edge over the Panny. I think this will be a great placeholder for a few years until I get HD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.