AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1748 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion on this set or is it to new?

I was all set to get the commercial Panasonic 50" when a previous TV I had took a dump and now I have a fair amount of store credit at one of the super stores. They sell the 50" consumer Panny and this Zenith which is actually a few dollars less than the Panny. Now I guess I need to rethink what TV I am getting as the commercial model is out of the question.

·
Registered
950 Posts
This is a brand new model. I did not know it had started shipping already. I don't think you will find any reviews yet. Click on the Zenith flat panel link in my signature for more information. There is a link to the specs on the Zenith website.

Robert

·
Registered
950 Posts
The CR is a little better on the 42". For some reason, they only list 5000:1 for the 42" even though it uses the new 10,000:1 rated panel.

Robert

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Exact same design as the 42" which makes it a very wide motha'. Noticed they dropped the 2 Toslink Ins so any DVI adapter or cable connections are out except for HDMI. With the issues we are having so far with HDMI this may not be a good thing...or it could mean HDMI is now better implemented.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I too noticed this new tv as well from the BB website. My gf's parents are thinknig of getting as big a plasma tv as possible within their buget (under $3k), and this is perfect! If this is anything like the 42 inch zenith everybody here praises about, I think I'll go with them to pick it up this weekend.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It looked pretty good on display(PQ) and it is new LG glass, like Vizio. The question is the electronics. Are they as good as LG and Vizio models? The Vizio has been having some QC issues with fans and other things. Maybe this Zenith would be a good deal if it is reliable.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Saw this tonight at my local CC. It was mounted in the place where the 50" Panny used to be, and the 50" Panny was nowhere to be found. It was next to a Pioneer, and I have to say that it actually looked BETTER, and in fact was one of the nicest looking sets there. Going to keep a close eye on this one as the holidays approach, if it drops under $3k I just might have to give myself one for Xmas

·
Registered
304 Posts
anyone know for sure whether it has cablecard? I know what was written above, but I would think it would be trying to dupe it's sister LG model.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It doesn't... saw it in cc and they had it advertised as having cablecard capability and had a big sign on it apologizing for advertising that it had it when it didn't. That and fact that the specs I posted above are right from the Zenith website tells me ah no it doesn't.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Folks,

New to this and looking at 50" plasmas. Went to BB last night to see about the 50" Maxent 3 I've read about here and this Zenith caught my eye. They had pretty much the full selection of Pioneers, Panasonics, LG, Toshiba and Samsung and to be honest the PQ on this Zenith set was the best of the bunch. It was also one of the least expensive.

Am I missing something that I'm not thinking of? Even the little things seem to be lining up right (I probably want the speakers attahced vs a commercial model) as this will be a family room set and there will be plenty of times when the kids just want to turn on the set and watch without going through a HT setup. And I like the speakers on teh side vs the bottom as it fits my application better.

Just wondering if I should be looking for other things. And just any more feedback on this model.

Thanks - you folks have a fantastic forum here.

J

·
Registered
971 Posts
The trick is two fold: One, every place has their own set-up and settings quirks (it's not easy to A, B sets and compare SD, HD and DVD -near impossible without twisting arms); Two, it takes a while to really critically look at these sets(as an example, I used to not notice the Screen door effect on ED sets, now I see it easily--not good). All that being said, if you can adjust that Zenith( I agree it looks good to me) or any other brand to look the best to you, I'd strongly consider it. You may not get the ultimate, but the differences are getting rather small. A good buy with a return policy goes a long way. Happy shopping.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd just like to say that I saw this plasma in action, and it looked terrific. Great brightness, detail, color saturation, sharpness - it just looked really fantastic all around.

The BB that I went to yesterday had all the popular models - LG, Panny, Pioneer, Sony, etc., but this plasma just looked crisper and more vibrant.

I was scratching my head when I noticed that it was the cheapest of the bunch.

Of course, the settings could've been maxed out or whatever, but even if the settings had been tuned down a bit this set would still look fantastic judging by what I saw. I had pretty much not even considered a Zenith (I think my grandpa used to buy Zenith CRT's?), but after seeing the one yesterday I'm doing some serious thinking.

I guess BB could be trying to move some of these, but I'm pretty sure the more expensive sets have bigger profit margins, so .... hmmmmm.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Heads up, CC is showing a rebate on these until 12/31/05

Looking more and more likely that I'll be getting this one for Xmas

1 - 20 of 1748 Posts