AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I have never watched or even seen glimpses of an HD-DVD movie. That said, with the reasonable cost of purchasing a used player and movies I am tempted to give it a whirl.

I currently watch blu-ray thru an Oppo BDP-83 on a Sammy 58" plasma. The quality is stellar, both sound and image. Will the HD-DVD be a major let down in comparison to the point where I won't even want to bother with it?

Very curious. Thanks to anyone who will chime in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You will notice virtually NO difference between HD DVD and Blu-ray on your set-up.

As a matter of fact, some movies are available in BOTH formats and sometimes the HD DVD encoded version looks better than the Blu-ray version, and in some cases it is the other way around.

Sound should be the same as well.

Bear in mind though that HD DVD is a defunct format now and no new titles will be issued anymore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The selection on HD-DVD movies is getting extremely slim these days. I made this same move in the middle of last year with the purchase of an Xbox HD-DVD player (for $40, and I later bought a BD/HD-DVD combo player for my PC). I picked up a bunch of them in a short time. My Blu-ray collection has only recently caught up to my HD-DVD collection because I was getting HD-DVD's at something like a 5 to 1 ratio to BD's.

Would I do that now? I don't know...I think I would judge that on my access to cheap HD-DVDs. My local Fry's (where I got the Xbox player) stock is getting really slim these days. They used to have a huge section for HD-DVDs and a large bin full of them...the section is a small fraction of what it used to be now...and that bin no longer holds HD-DVDs. Today I probably wouldn't do it because of my nearby stock situation. I would check out nearby stores first to see what they have.

As for Quality...no different than BD as far as I can tell. I'm not a huge one on getting perfect audio/video though, so there probably are significant differences, I just don't notice them. Extra features are lacking on HD-DVD's though, due to the amount of data one of them can store. In my experience you will almost always get more extra content on a BD than you will on an HD-DVD.

You want cheap HD for older movies (meaning no new ones are being produced, they stopped around the time Transformers came out)...it's a decent way to go...not quite as attractive as it once was due to the reduction in stock with most places for HD-DVDs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I know the format is dead. The market on used HD-DVD movies seems pretty strong, and the prices always seem real fair. I may have to give it a shot.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSE /forum/post/18285540

Thanks guys. I know the format is dead. The market on used HD-DVD movies seems pretty strong, and the prices always seem real fair. I may have to give it a shot.

Yeah I didn't even consider used movies. That definitely opens up possibilities for your collection if you are willing to buy them used. I'm sure there are plenty of people ditching their HD-DVD collections in favor of going to one format with BD.

I just don't buy used optical discs at all. Personal choice on my part.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As others have said, there will be no real difference in quality - sure, some discs that have been released on Blu-ray after the fact may be lossless now vs. lossy on HD DVD, and if you're a person that notices that, it may make a difference to you. I can't think of any releases where the video is hands down better on Blu-ray vs HD DVD (Spartacus coming up may change that). And some discs may have better supplemental packages (Top Gun) on Blu-ray. But overall, quality is going to be virtually identical as your Blu-ray experience.

The bottom line is whether there are enough HD DVD titles that you are interested in that warrant investing in it. With over 400 domestic releases, I think it's quite safe to say yes - but that's a call you can make yourself.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sorry, I have to disagree. The fact is that it is a defunct format. In addition to no new software no new players are being produced meaning if you have problems with hardware you could be SOL. Remember the players were only manufactured in large scale for about 18 months which started with the A2. The A1 was in short supply after the early adopters snapped them up assuming BD was going to fail after their abysmal launch in June 2006.

Sure there are some decent titles out there but many are on BD now AND BD software prices are much more reasonable. Sure they may be more than HD DVD, but you can buy the BD software with confidence that you will have playback hardware available for a much longer period.

·
Banned
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita /forum/post/18342909

Sorry, I have to disagree. The fact is that it is a defunct format. In addition to no new software no new players are being produced meaning if you have problems with hardware you could be SOL. Remember the players were only manufactured in large scale for about 18 months which started with the A2. The A1 was in short supply after the early adopters snapped them up assuming BD was going to fail after their abysmal launch in June 2006.

Sure there are some decent titles out there but many are on BD now AND BD software prices are much more reasonable. Sure they may be more than HD DVD, but you can buy the BD software with confidence that you will have playback hardware available for a much longer period.

But that is also what is great about digital formats, you can back everyone of the HD DVDs onto a hard drive and play them back with a computer.

As Long as PCs exists, there will be hardware to play the videos back on.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyscroll /forum/post/18285429

You will notice virtually NO difference between HD DVD and Blu-ray on your set-up.

As a matter of fact, some movies are available in BOTH formats and sometimes the HD DVD encoded version looks better than the Blu-ray version, and in some cases it is the other way around.

I've never seen a BD that looked better than an HD-DVD (unless it was a completely new master or up-dated transfer). Actually, there are more HD-DVDs that look better than the BD versions (THE THING, MI:3, etc.) BD's initial releases were easily worse than HD-DVD and some current disappointing BD releases still bear that out. So far, I have not felt the need to change any HD-DVD title I own to BD. Also, I've found the up-conversion of standard DVDs to be superior to any BD player I've seen. (Although there possibly may be some models that equal it that I haven't seen.) So, even though HD-DVD was killed on the eve of it's introduction of a 51gb disc (just imagine), the player will still make your standard DVDs look better than ever.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I bought my A2 when the player price got stupid then started buying up all the cheap HD-DVD movies I liked as the two formats were battling it out. When it finally became apparent that BD was going to win and I wouldn't be able to find HD-DVD movies much longer I went down to Circuit City yet again and bought one of their many demo Panasonic BD10a Blu Ray players for 160.

I still have way more HD-DVD movies then BD but both players look outstanding with a well mastered movie and both do a great job playing back regular DVD's as well, though I'd say the A2 is slightly better even though the Panny has way more picture adjustments and noise tweaks.

They both load extremely slow, but once they play a movie they just work so I'm happy. I WAS hoping to get a LG 200 multiformat that plays both types but never found a good enough price to make it worth buying one and now they are gone.

At least if you don't find many movies for one they really do nicely playing back DVD's so it's not a complete waste of money just for that feature if you find one cheap. The XA2 was their flagship model and does the best quality with DVD's or HD-DVD's IF you can even find one, let alone get a good deal on it.

I still have a couple of working laser disk players too and a couple of SVHS decks as well so I know all about cool but dead formats

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/18350564

I still have a couple of working laser disk players too and a couple of SVHS decks as well so I know all about cool but dead formats

Still love my laserdiscs! It had a great run...for 20 years, it was the best way to view movies at home. (DVD was supplanted by HD in less than half that time.) Look what laserdisc gave us: widescreen movies, extras (commentaries, deleted scenes, etc.), Dolby Digital 5.1 and 6.1, DTS...all developed for laserdisc. Even HD movies first appeared on laserdisc in the 90s (though only on Japanese LDs). One can only imagine what fully-digital laserdiscs would be offering us today, if it had continued. Less compression, that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Well for me the best part was the total lack of copy protection which may be one of the reason it was finally killed. For a long time if you wanted the very best audio and video Laser disk was it and my favorite A/V store just down the street had a huge selection of rentals.Then one day they discovered DVD and the other format was gone in like a month
There still is a fairly active laser disk forum on the news groups.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/18350701

Well for me the best part was the total lack of copy protection which may be one of the reason it was finally killed. For a long time if you wanted the very best audio and video Laser disk was it and my favorite A/V store just down the street had a huge selection of rentals.Then one day they discovered DVD and the other format was gone in like a month

That's because many stores were given financial incentives not to carry LDs. (Just as Sony paid Warner Bros nearly half-a-billion dollars to eliminate HD-DVD) The push was on to make DVD successful and LD was an obstacle. Remember Kevin Smith opening his Laserdisc CHASING AMY commentary with the words "F*** DVD"? Of course, years later he had to back-pedal, but it was certainly how many felt at the time.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
By the time my HD DVD players all give up, im sure im gonna be able to buy the same titles on bluray for alot less then I would be paying for it today.

Or just place my HD DVD on a mediaserver for free.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2wrath /forum/post/18349906

But that is also what is great about digital formats, you can back everyone of the HD DVDs onto a hard drive and play them back with a computer.

As Long as PCs exists, there will be hardware to play the videos back on.

Sorry but you are assuming that HD DVD computer drives are plentiful in supply also.

Look I know you guys loved the format, but I think its rather disengenuious to suggest that someone should get into this format COLD at this point in time.

I hope you guys enjoy HD DVD as long as possible, but for someone new thinking about getting into this format there are better HT spending options available like upgrading equipment.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/18350821

That's because many stores were given financial incentives not to carry LDs. (Just as Sony paid Warner Bros nearly half-a-billion dollars to eliminate HD-DVD) The push was on to make DVD successful and LD was an obstacle. Remember Kevin Smith opening his Laserdisc CHASING AMY commentary with the words "F*** DVD"? Of course, years later he had to back-pedal, but it was certainly how many felt at the time.

I have a hard time believing retailers were given financial incentives not to carry LD. The much more plausible explanation was at the time people wanted a device that could also record. LD never gained widespread popularity for that reason alone. If few had it, then there was little reason for a retailer to stock it.

I purchased a laserdisc player in 1989, I think I only met one other person that had a player when LD was popular among HT enthusiasts.

And let's remember Toshiba paid Paramount some too. Backroom deals are nothing new. HD DVD was just another format created by a large corporation. Frankly I am surprised how far Toshiba took the fight when it became apparent by their launch they could not garner anymore support studio wise (I am talking REAL studios here, not some mom and pop operation with a small catalog). If anything Toshiba lost their exclusivity with all but one studio before the launch. I think just as valid of question is what kind of sweet deal did Universal get to remain HD DVD exclusive. If they had given in at anypoint prior to HD DVD streeting there would not have been any reason to continue forward.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon /forum/post/18354638

Some of those Laserdisc transfer PQ are horrible. Check out Braveheart. Yikes!

And another thing with the players, unless you sprang for one of the higher end models, the video signal was plagued with noise. LD was good for its time, but even the most barebones DVD player playing a reference quality disc, pretty much put most LD players to shame.

I remember watching a DVD promo at American TV in Madison in the the spring of 1997. I had never seen a video signal look so clean. At that point I stopped buying anymore LD titles. And when DVD launched with titles around $20 to $30 after most LDs had been priced at $50+, I knew DVD was planning for a much different market.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I started in HD DVD with a Toshiba A2 then purchased an A3 and a Samsung combo player after the format war.Between my three HD DVD capable players I have zero concern that I will not be able to play HD DVD for at least 10 years. If by some chance all my players die I'll just pick up the HD DVD titles I want to replace in the Blu Ray bargain bin or move on to whatever format has replaced Blu Ray.

Until recently I would have suggested people not get into HD DVD at this time. But I've been fascinated by the number of people getting into to laserdisc which hasn't had a new title in almost ten years. Many of them are young people who you can see showing off their collections on youtube.So I really can't see a reason not to get into HD DVD.No new titles are being produced but new factory sealed titles can be purchased for a fraction of the cost of same title on Blu Ray and the quality is the same.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.