AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forums, but I've already found quite some interesting topics here! I'm currently looking for a DLP projector with zero offset, as displayed in the image below, but I've found it quite hard to browse for said models because the specifications often don't list this information. For my rather unusual application a zero percent offset is extremely important, as I intend to remove the lenses of the projector and substitute them with my own optics.

So far I've found that most models do have an offset, and beamers that don't usually are quite old (meaning other specifications are somewhat disappointing). Can anyone give me some advice on the issue? Information on where/how to look, or specific models would be very helpful!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Yes, but those old ones like the Planar PD8150 or 8130, and the Marantz VP15 will give you a better over all image that the new stuff under $3000 and they will cost you less than $1500. Only thing they do lack is the large light output.. You will probably need to move up to the > $5000 range if you want NEW DLP with full lens shift. Runco LS5 is an option (same as the old (PD8150) but newly manufactures.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for your response. I don't necassarily need a large light output, in fact, that is no issue at all. Vertical lens shift is a moving mechanism right? I've never fully understood the inner workings of it, but I believe the lenses move their angle, right? Does the DMD chip inside the projector move with it? It is very important for me that the angle that the DMD chip reflects to is as close to a 90 degree angle to the surface as possible. The center of the image simply must be at the same location as the center of the lenses.

Since I'll take out the existing lenses, I don't care much for those. Any 1024*764 resolution and up is fine. Here's a summary of what I'm looking for:

-zero offset projection angle (!)

-DLP

-A decent contrast ration (higher == better)

-no 800*600 resolution or less

-no more than ~1500 euro's/dollars

I've briefly browsed for the mentioned models, but those don't seem very widespread in Europe, where do you suggest I look?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
No idea in Europe. I bought my PD8150 from an AVS member last year. Ebay would be the only other alternative. If 720p would work for you the Marantz VP12 is more prevalent and can be had for under $500 on eaby. Personally I would cry my eyes out if I knew you were hacking up a PD8150 They are hard to find an should be used for their intended purpose. Maybe some more info on your project would be helpful to others with suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The projector will be mounted on a trinocular microscope. Using a custom lens-assembly the DLP will project through the camera-port of the microscope, forming an image under the objective. We've built and used this setup previously, and it can be made to work. The problem with the current build is, however, is that we need to angle the beamer in order to project through the camera port. This is a huge pain, and a problem that could very easily be solved if the projection angle, or offset, is zero, meaning that the beamer could be mounted perpendicular to the microscope.

Contrast ratio is equally important, which is why we want a DLP projector specifically. Any contrast below 1:3000 will be practically impossible to use. 

Even a simple/older model that fits these requirements will be great, but sadly I've not been able to find any.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulonas  /t/1521394/zero-offset-dlp-projector/0_100#post_24450764

The projector will be mounted on a trinocular microscope. Using a custom lens-assembly the DLP will project through the camera-port of the microscope, forming an image under the objective. We've built and used this setup previously, and it can be made to work. The problem with the current build is, however, is that we need to angle the beamer in order to project through the camera port. This is a huge pain, and a problem that could very easily be solved if the projection angle, or offset, is zero, meaning that the beamer could be mounted perpendicular to the microscope.

Contrast ratio is equally important, which is why we want a DLP projector specifically. Any contrast below 1:3000 will be practically impossible to use. 

Even a simple/older model that fits these requirements will be great, but sadly I've not been able to find any.

I think most of the 2008-2010 higher end (>$5000) dlp projectors had lens shift including sharp projectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SharpVision-XV-Z20000-High-Definition-Home-Theater-Projector-/291080760834?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item43c5c3ee02
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-XV-Z10000-DLP-Projector-/221386929072?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item338bb073b0

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
This is very simple. Get a refurb optoma HD82 off ebay for $799.99, and it comes with a warranty. You can even extend the warranty with square trade. As far as lens shift, no the DMD does not move. The lens does not change its angle to the dmd, but it does move.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
This is very simple. Get a refurb optoma HD82 off ebay for $799.99, and it comes with a warranty. You can even extend the warranty with square trade. As far as lens shift, no the DMD does not move. The lens does not change its angle to the dmd, but it does move.
I take it this model has a low offset then? Or do you mean it's vertical lens shift makes it suitable? I'm not an expert on projection technologies, but can someone explain to me then how the vertical lens shift works? Or at least confirm that the net-effect of vertical lens-shift is that the projection offset can be made zero.

I'm worried that the lens-shift feature will not be of any use if we remove the beamer-lenses and replace them with our own custom lenses. I figured (in my lacking understanding of projection techniques) that the DMD chip itself should reflect with zero offset, at least in our case specifically, but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Don't know if anyone here has worked for a DLP projection engineering department. I think it is going to up to you to figure it out, as we just normally install them and watch them..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts