AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the Note to DIY Blackout Material screen users thread ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=185251 ) and noticed most people are worried about gain. I on the otherhand need to get rid of some.

I have a 1200 lumen Sony CX10 LCD, which will be replacing with an HS10 within the next year, which is also 1200 lumen. I am not projecting very large picture, maybe 100" at the most.

With my current Projector on a white screen I am lighting up my living room like it was daytime on some scenes, on some gray fabric I am testing I am getting similar results but not quite and bad.

I am currently shooting on the backside of some Satin fabric (Platinum Gray) that is nearly the same color are Glidden Universal Grey.

Today I bought some Thermo Suede from Hancock Fabric, I compared it to Blackoout and found Thermo Suede have a finer thread count, I ever rubbed my hands against and on the counter, it did not seem to fowl too easily.

Currently I am thinking about painting the suede with a slightly darker shade of gray than Universal Grey, I may even go as deep as Veil or Dover Grey (Glidden Paints) or even Gray Hawk PPOC-44 from Behr.

With all paints I think I will go with a Matte finish, like those used on the sample cards.

I know there are several threads on screens but they seem to revolve around getting gain. Currently with a gain of 1, or zero gain, I am getting about 63 lammberts on an 80" screen. I would like to end up around 30 lamberts or below for a 100" screen.

This is the part where I say, any suggestions?

Also some pictures of Frames under construction would be really nice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well since nobody responds to my threads on this board I suppose I will respond to my own.

After some experimentation last night I think I will not go any darker than Veil Grey. I am also thinking if I were to try to mix a Veil Grey shade equivelent with Gesso, the pearlecent partical would help reflect the colors properly yet still give me deep blacks.

sombody elses opinion would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well the pearl will raise your gain and your big thing was about lowering the gain.

I was also thinking about the Veil color, but concerned about the loss of white on my 1000 lumens pj. Let us know how this turns out and if you are happy with the brightness you are left with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thinking is the pearl would raise the reflectivity of the so whites will be white while blacks would not be affected as much. Of course I could and most likely be wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your pj is too bright, why not turn the contrast down? Have you calibrated with AVIA or Widescreen disc? I just painted with grey tropics on thermosuede for Sanyo Z1. This is barely grey and helps the blacks a bit. I will probably go one shade darker.

Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have any calibration discs. currently I am only really fooling around with this machine as it is only temporary and will mainly be used around town, at house parties and bike races.

The screen on the otherhand is a big deal because I do not want to have to make another one when I get my actual HT projector.

I think i am going to go just a hint beyond universal grey with this first attempt.

Where can I get a calibration disc? How much?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think you'll need anything darker than universal gray with an HS10. They have decent blacks for an lcd. Make your room darker and calibrate the pj properly you will see big improvement. Also it is easier to paint darker later than to paint it lighter later...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Im glad to see the thermo suede is appealing to others here.. I love mine, ive gotten a few scuffs on mine as im constructing my room around it :D function vs form.. My image is around 85" 4:3 and im using a M20x 1900 luman projector and definatly am going to go a shade of grey havent decided what shade yet, but i feel i can go pretty deep as my image is way to bright as my room is small... We watched Vertical limit a few days ago... The room was like day with the lights on for most of the movie as all the snow covered scenes... Felt it was way to bright and my blacks are very black also, so feel a shade of grey would be even blacker and the whites would till be bright white but more life like. My image is stuning non the less byt i will tweek it to pefection using a grey shade.

My black bars are very black yet not as black as my screen masking, a medium shade of black should pull the blacks in deeper to more closly match the masking... Im very happy with viewing in the day time however as it is definatly bright enough with the sade open and some lighting in the room. That the reason for the high luman PJ in such a small screen, besides the ability to take the PJ else like in the yard for a drive in in the summer :D

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.