AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
You might try this:

There is an option inside ZDMC to use the Realtek SoC for playback. ZDMC > System > Video > Playback > Turn on "Play video with external player". Inside ZDMC the Realtek SoC is referred to as the external player. I'm not sure how this combination might work with forced subtitles with MKV's but you might give it a try.

I use primarily ISO's with Home Theater 2.0 and forced sub's are supported.
The problem is still there since the external player will not honor the "default track" flag in MKVs.

You are not seeing the problem since ISOs will playback using mpls instead of direct file.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well that SUCKS!!!!!

ZDMC (at least that version of the Kodi fork) appears to do framerate sync, HD audio bitstream but I have to test it to make sure its perfect.
Does the latest FW / X9s correct the 23.9x playback issues mentioned earlier in this thread?

Does that issue exist when using the Zidoo media player or a side loaded Kodi (or both)?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Does the latest FW / X9s correct the 23.9x playback issues mentioned earlier in this thread?

Does that issue exist when using the Zidoo media player or a side loaded Kodi (or both)?

Thanks
negative, latest firmware is still 23.978 according to the Vertex.

older firmware going back to last year were worse at 23.981. Dune 4K pro has the same Realtek RTD1295 chipset and also has similar issues with the reported framerate so it may be a chipset or SDK issue.

This is with 4K content, 1080P (2D and 3D) is better behaved. Issue is the same with the built in player and side loaded Kodi player.

The same version of Kodi works excellent on the Nvidia shield. I watched Fate of the Furious UHD last night and zero skips or repeated frames. It's lacking ISO/BDMV folder support and no 3D so there are limitations but does an excellent job with 4K UHD HDR MKV + full bitstreaming.

Zidoo / Dune are shelved for a while. i'm currently using Dune 4K Solo (older 2016 model) for 2D/3D BD ISO and either Oppo 203 or Nvidia Shield for UHD MKV playback.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

older firmware going back to last year were worse at 23.981. Dune 4K pro has the same Realtek RTD1295 chipset and also has similar issues with the reported framerate so it may be a chipset or SDK issue.

This is with 4K content, 1080P (2D and 3D) is better behaved. Issue is the same with the built in player and side loaded Kodi player.

The same version of Kodi works excellent on the Nvidia shield. I watched Fate of the Furious UHD last night and zero skips or repeated frames. It's lacking ISO/BDMV folder support and no 3D so there are limitations but does an excellent job with 4K UHD HDR MKV + full bitstreaming.

Zidoo / Dune are shelved for a while. i'm currently using Dune 4K Solo (older 2016 model) for 2D/3D BD ISO and either Oppo 203 or Nvidia Shield for UHD MKV playback.
Good info - thanks.

Have a few Shields already, saw the Zidoo and it looked interesting but didn't do my research before buying one. Just showed up on doorstep today, but will be returning it based on this issue alone.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts

Awesome information! I am going to update my 4K Media Player spreadsheet with this cautionary information.

Mark

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
What happened to the Ourglass X9S thread?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yes, I gathered that much. Curious why.

·
Registered
289 Posts
How do I set movies to “watched” in the home theater app? I can filter on watched but when I first load my movies they all come in as unwatched.

·
Registered
289 Posts
As I've read on this forum, I have been very unimpressed with the 4K performance of the X9s. The image looks very choppy when slow panning and there are noticeable color bands all over the place in the image especially in areas like the sky.

·
Registered
237 Posts
As I've read on this forum, I have been very unimpressed with the 4K performance of the X9s. The image looks very choppy when slow panning and there are noticeable color bands all over the place in the image especially in areas like the sky.
Besides the microstutters every so often, I'm pleased with the UHD HDR performance of the X9S. For my system, I don't have banding and have the best results with 4k, 10 bit 4:4:4 at 23.976Hz. Have you tried different settings?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Besides the microstutters every so often, I'm pleased with the UHD HDR performance of the X9S. For my system, I don't have banding and have the best results with 4k, 10 bit 4:4:4 at 23.976Hz. Have you tried different settings?
I didn't know I could change those settings. Where do I find and change them? I will try your 10 bit 4:4:4 at 23.976Hz.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I didn't know I could change those settings. Where do I find and change them? I will try your 10 bit 4:4:4 at 23.976Hz.
Quick Settings > Display > Advanced settings

Deep Color Mode = 10bit
Color Space Mode = YCbCr 444
HDMI Range Mode = 16-235

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quick Settings > Display > Advanced settings

Deep Color Mode = 10bit
Color Space Mode = YCbCr 444
HDMI Range Mode = 16-235
I tried to change the deep color mode and color space mode settings and they keep getting set back. I”m guessing my display doesn’t support them. Anyone else have any ideas on how to get 4K not to look horrible on the 9s?

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Yes, I gathered that much. Curious why.
Probably because it's a X9S clone. Once you update its firmware to latest Zidoo X9S (why wouldn't you), it's identical to X9S, except for the initial Ourglass logo at boot-up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I tried to change the deep color mode and color space mode settings and they keep getting set back. I”m guessing my display doesn’t support them. Anyone else have any ideas on how to get 4K not to look horrible on the 9s?
Are you in 4k 60Hz when you try to change those settings? If so, change the resolution to 4k 24Hz first.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Probably because it's a X9S clone. Once you update its firmware to latest Zidoo X9S (why wouldn't you), it's identical to X9S, except for the initial Ourglass logo at boot-up.
Actually, no. Once you re-flash with Zidoo firmware, it completely ID's itself as a Zidoo X9S. Even the pop-up requiring MAC address authorization after re-flash ID's the unit as a Zidoo X9S. There is no Ourglass logo at boot-up. At least that's how it is on the two units I bought.

I wouldn't consider it a clone. It's an OEM X9S that was sold to Ourglass with their logo screened on the box.

·
Registered
796 Posts
61 - 80 of 375 Posts