AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Successor to the Z9S just announced - the Zidoo Z9X based on Realtek 1619:

Realtek RTD1619DR will be the basis of the upcoming Zidoo Z9X media player.
The device will run on Android 9.0 and OpenWRT.
The amount of DDR4 RAM is 2 GB, and the internal storage will be 16 GB eMMC memory, there will be one SATA 6 Gb / s port on board.
Video output and input correspond to HDMI 2.0a, audio streams are output via HDMI, or S / PDIF, pass-through audio output is supported.
There is also a Gigabit Ethernet port and an 802.11ac / Bluetooth 4.2 Wi-Fi adapter, there are two USB 3.0 ports and two USB 2.0.
Information about the cost and start of sales will be available in the near future.

Technical Specs:

Color: Aluminum Gray
Screen: LED
Operating System: Android 9.0
Processor: Realtek RTD1619DR ARM Cortex-A55 (Hexa-core)
RAM: 2GB (DDR4)
Flash memory: 16GB eMMC
Wi-Fi: 802.11 AC, MIMO Dual-Band WIFI
Ethernet: 1 * RJ-45 Ethernet Jack (10/100 / 1000Mbps)
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2
HDMI Out: HDMI 2.0a, support 4K @ 60fps, HDR10, HDR10 +, Dolby Vision
Video decoding: HDR, HDR10 +, Dolby Vision, 10-bit HEVC / H.265 up to 4K @ 60fps, VP9 up to 4K @ 60fps, H.264 up to 4K @ 24fps
Audio Decoding: MP3 / WMA / AAC / WAV / AC3 / DTS / OGG / FLAC / APE / SACD / DFF / DSF / APE etc.
Network Protocol Support: NFS, SMB2
USB: 2 * USB 3.0, 2 * USB 2.0
SATA: 1 * SATA3.0
HDMI: 1xHDMI Out + 1xHDMI In
Other interfaces: 1 * IR Receiver, 1 * Composite video and audio port (Cvbs Out), 1 * SPDIF (2CH, 5.1 CH), 1 * 3.5mm RS232.2 * External High-Gain Antenna

Same form factor and socket layout as Z9S but gun metal grey like the X9S, with larger antenna which unfortunately, like the Z9S, are not removable (without surgery!)

With the latest Zidoo front end and the addition of HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, this should beat the new Dune hands down.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@markswift2003 - They should have named it the X9SE... :)

That's good new Mark. It will be nice when you can post some pictures!
Indeed - it does look exactly the same as an X9S! I did post some pics on the Zidoo forum but I think they got taken down by a mod, so I don't want to step on anyone's toes at the moment...

I do wonder if someone at Zidoo is now thinking maybe they started a bit too far up the alphabet ;)

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Indeed - it does look exactly the same as an X9S! I did post some pics on the Zidoo forum but I think they got taken down by a mod, so I don't want to step on anyone's toes at the moment...

I do wonder if someone at Zidoo is now thinking maybe they started a bit too far up the alphabet ;)
Yes, saw your post over there. I expect it won't be too long as DuneHD has their version on their site as you know.

I'll make a WAG and assume the new DuneHD is also built by Zidoo again but of course one will have to wait until they are in the wild.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, saw your post over there. I expect it won't be too long as DuneHD has their version on their site as you know.

I'll make a WAG and assume the new DuneHD is also built by Zidoo again but of course one will have to wait until they are in the wild.
The thing that puzzles me about the Dune is that all the pics are cheesy photoshop renderings so I'm not convinced they're even in hardware yet and the Dune-HD website cunningly shows it as "Sold Out" even though it's not yet on sale.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
The thing that puzzles me about the Dune is that all the pics are cheesy photoshop renderings so I'm not convinced they're even in hardware yet and the Dune-HD website cunningly shows it as "Sold Out" even though it's not yet on sale.
True!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting :)
DV is going to be very important to many people as it is possible in mkv now.
I think this box will only be licensed for DV profile 5 for streaming, I can't see Zidoo sticking their neck out any further than that.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think this box will only be licensed for DV profile 5 for streaming, I can't see Zidoo sticking their neck out any further than that.
From what I understood is that the new method brought forward by makeMKV combines those streams inside the mkv. So single layer is all we need.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
From what I understood is that the new method brought forward by makeMKV combines those streams inside the mkv. So single layer is all we need.
There are UHD BluRay players which will internally convert 12-bit profile 7 (10-bit 4K HDR10 base layer + 10-bit 1080p enhancement layer) to a 10-bit profile 5 single stream for so called "Player LED" DV and such streams can be encapsulated in MP4.

I've also managed to rip DV profile 7 to two separate transport streams but I've not seen anything about combining to profile 5 in software - do you have any links?

What would surprise me is if the player will play local profile 5 streams - Dolby always said they would never licence DV on media players. Now that's changed a bit with streaming since the Sony debacle and that's how I assume the Zidoo is licenced, but we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There are UHD BluRay players which will internally convert 12-bit profile 7 (10-bit 4K HDR10 base layer + 10-bit 1080p enhancement layer) to a 10-bit profile 5 single stream for so called "Player LED" DV and such streams can be encapsulated in MP4.

I've also managed to rip DV profile 7 to two separate transport streams but I've not seen anything about combining to profile 5 in software - do you have any links?

What would surprise me is if the player will play local profile 5 streams - Dolby always said they would never licence DV on media players. Now that's changed a bit with streaming since the Sony debacle and that's how I assume the Zidoo is licenced, but we'll have to wait and see.
Have a look here:
https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21937&p=87811#p87811

I’m still reading up on this to understand what exactly it does and how it’s being done.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: Sledgehamma

·
Registered
315 Posts
Has there been any more news on this product?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has there been any more news on this product?
No, not a thing - new Dunes are starting to appear in the wild, so I hope it won't be too long...

Reactions: Orange_GT3
1 - 20 of 242 Posts