AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Thanks for trying that out. Lawrence of Arabia also worked on Dune, with the separate discs selectable when clicking on the poster art. I may for now just use direct source playback on Zidoo, which is fine. I do prefer certain aspects of the Zidoo theatre mode, particularly ignoring 'The', and generally scraping nicer poster art, but Dune My Collection isn't bad when I want jukebox mode. The less 'androidy' aesthetic I actually prefer on Dune. Just a personal thing. And trivial though it is, I don't particularly like my movies displaying a BD icon when they're UHD!
Everyone had different requirements for sure - I don't like any extra bits on the poster wall - I just like to see a wall of images, so I have all labels and titles deselected in settings:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Everyone had different requirements for sure - I don't like any extra bits on the poster wall - I just like to see a wall of images, so I have all labels and titles deselected in settings:

View attachment 3039791
I'll have a look at those settings and give 'em a try! I've barely begun to try out the Z9X. I think I'll find that some things I prefer on Zidoo and some on Dune, which is the reason why I opted for a couple of players, to mix and match. I did notice a couple of instances when I stopped playback of a film I got a black screen where it wouldn't switch back to the home theatre interface, and I had to turn the player off and on to clear. Maybe a handshake issue with my projector/receiver. But nothing too problematic. On the Dune I also sometimes get that black screen, but it finds the GUI again after a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'll have a look at those settings and give 'em a try! I've barely begun to try out the Z9X. I think I'll find that some things I prefer on Zidoo and some on Dune, which is the reason why I opted for a couple of players, to mix and match. I did notice a couple of instances when I stopped playback of a film I got a black screen where it wouldn't switch back to the home theatre interface, and I had to turn the player off and on to clear. Maybe a handshake issue with my projector/receiver. But nothing too problematic. On the Dune I also sometimes get that black screen, but it finds the GUI again after a couple of seconds.
I had a Dune and hated My Collection. To me it was just something they threw together so they can say they have a movie wall! It hasn't been updated for about three years. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I think HT4 is in a different league.

Reactions: Willie

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
I had a Dune and hated My Collection. To me it was just something they threw together so they can say they have a movie wall! It hasn't been updated for about three years. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I think HT4 is in a different league.
You haven't seen the Egreat wall then :oops: That's like someone threw a load of code at a wall and hoped some of it stuck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe it's the utilitarian approach I like about it. Not flashy, but it does the job. Decent poster wall, imdb links and trailers, much better scraper for my needs, no Blu-ray designation for UHD content, and no big androidy icons. Plus I don't like the HT4's need to group everything into collections. Toy Story collection made sense I must admit, but Man Of Steel and Batman V Superman grouped into a 'Man Of Steel Collection' is just silly! And I couldn't find an option to not form collections pre-scanning, unless I missed it? I have to say though, the ability to ignore 'The' is a big improvement on the Dune. I don't want to scroll down to 'T' to watch The Bridge on the River Kwai!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Despite usually being filmed at 24fps, for historical (and now irrelevant) reasons, the vast majority of commercial home releases are mastered at 23.976fps (or more accurately 24000/1001) so the correct setting would be "3840x2160p 23Hz".

You can set the gui to whatever frame rate and resolution you like as long as you have auto frame rate and auto resolution set.

Try these settings:

Zidoo Z9X
=========

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution

Display/HDR: Auto*
Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
Display/Color Settings/HDMI Color Region: 16-235**
Display/HDMI Mode: 3840x2160p 23Hz***

Audio/HDMI Audio: RAW
Audio/Downmix HD Audio output: OFF

* or Mapping HDR for permanent HDR10 or VS10 for permanent HDR/SDR/LLDV/DV depending on EDID
** This sets 64 - 940 for 10-bit content
*** This is personal preference & set this last since changing HDR mode resets HDMI Mode

For no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity, what are your folder names for Spider-man into the Spiderverse and The Big Lebowski? Just want to see if I can replicate and see if there's an issue needs reporting.
I tried these settings and have been really impressed with the results, thanks. Out of curiosity I tried mapping HDR and my projector turned itself off for some reason, but back to Auto HDR and all was good.
Another curious thing with these new settings is that there's now a handshake issue. If I turn my receiver on first, then the Zidoo, it cycles endlessly through HDMI auto source search without locking on. But if I turn the Zidoo on, then the receiver, it works fine.
The video quality seems to have a slight edge on the Dune from the viewing I've done thus far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am having trouble with playback of 3D ISO's that contain Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. The players says: "Can't play video."
Anybody knows what's going on?

Edit: I'm also having trouble to get surround sound from both the YouTube and Netflix app. I'm connected with HDMI to my AVR.
Does someone know how to fix this?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
I tried these settings and have been really impressed with the results, thanks. Out of curiosity I tried mapping HDR and my projector turned itself off for some reason, but back to Auto HDR and all was good.
Another curious thing with these new settings is that there's now a handshake issue. If I turn my receiver on first, then the Zidoo, it cycles endlessly through HDMI auto source search without locking on. But if I turn the Zidoo on, then the receiver, it works fine.
The video quality seems to have a slight edge on the Dune from the viewing I've done thus far.
Can't think of a single reason why "Mapping HDR" would cause an issue like that - all it does is pass through HDR content and convert SDR content to HDR (ie changes colour space and gamma) - as far as the projector is concerned it's no different from playing HDR content with <HDR> set to "Auto".

And with the switch on order you'd expect it to be the other way around - With both PJ and amp turned on, you'd usually want to turn the Zidoo on last so it has an EDID to refer to. Can you select a source discretely with your receiver rather than rely on an auto search?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Maybe it's the utilitarian approach I like about it. Not flashy, but it does the job. Decent poster wall, imdb links and trailers, much better scraper for my needs, no Blu-ray designation for UHD content, and no big androidy icons. Plus I don't like the HT4's need to group everything into collections. Toy Story collection made sense I must admit, but Man Of Steel and Batman V Superman grouped into a 'Man Of Steel Collection' is just silly! And I couldn't find an option to not form collections pre-scanning, unless I missed it? I have to say though, the ability to ignore 'The' is a big improvement on the Dune. I don't want to scroll down to 'T' to watch The Bridge on the River Kwai!
You haven't missed a setting to avoid grouping into collections - there isn't one. A pet hate of mine, but in the grand scheme of things not something I let bother me too much. They can be "disbanded", by "a long press" on the "enter" button I think and then choosing "disband".

Scraping is by and large effective, with the exception of titles with "punctuation marks". These constantly fail to match and require manual intervention to correctly match. Zidoo are aware.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can't think of a single reason why "Mapping HDR" would cause an issue like that - all it does is pass through HDR content and convert SDR content to HDR (ie changes colour space and gamma) - as far as the projector is concerned it's no different from playing HDR content with <HDR> set to "Auto".

And with the switch on order you'd expect it to be the other way around - With both PJ and amp turned on, you'd usually want to turn the Zidoo on last so it has an EDID to refer to. Can you select a source discretely with your receiver rather than rely on an auto search?
What happened when I selected Mapping HDR is that the image re-set as expected, but I thought it was a bit bright so I pressed menu on my projector remote to turn HDR brightness down a notch, but nothing happened. So I pressed menu again and the projector switched off. It could be an unrelated glitch I suppose, but it seemed linked.

Yes I was surprised at that handshake, as I always turn HDMI devices on last as a rule. I was just glad I didn't have to turn my PJ off and on again and potentially damage the lamp. But again tonight, it only worked Zidoo first, then receiver. I'll have to see if I can select discretely, thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
New firmware v6.0.45 Beta version for ZIDOO Z9X/Z10 Pro release

Model: Z9X
Version number: v6.0.45
Download: http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z9X/v6.0.45/Z9X_P_v6.0.45_G_202009252103_ota-package.zip
MD5:
Upgrade method: OTA
Version type: public beta version

Model: Z10 Pro
Version number: v6.0.45
Download: http://apidl.zidoo.tv/Z10_PRO/v6.0.45/Z10-Pro_P_v6.0.45_G_202009252039_ota-package.zip
MD5:
Upgrade method: OTA
Version type: public beta version

Changelog (Google translate):
Spoiler
System
1. Fix the problem that some TVs occasionally switch the frame rate without sound output
2. Enhance local decoding and fix the problem that individual video sources cannot be played
3. Fix the problem that the screen saver occasionally flashes back
4. Fix the occasional lag problem of IPV6 network
5. Fix the problem that some DV movies cannot be played
6. Fix the problem that CEC does not take effect when closed and then opened
7. Optimize online playback

Local player
1. Fix the problem of occasional abnormal playback when setting single loop playback
2. Add the default first audio track function
3. Fix the problem of abnormal display of poster information
4. Optimize the resume function

Music player
1. Fix the problem of occasional playback errors
2. Optimize playback stability

Picture manager
1. Add global folder name exclusion function
2. Add slideshow press OK button to pause function
3. Add the switch whether to scan hidden files
4. Optimize the display UI
5. Add the function of pressing the information button to display picture information
6. Add page turning function

Poster wall
1. Fix the problem of playing the trailer and entering the screensaver
2. Added whether to play the sound switch of the trailer
3. Solve the problem of abnormal selections when the number of TV series is relatively large
4. Modify partial translation
5. Optimize the display interface of the edit box
6. Fix the problem that the poster cannot be saved when rematching and selecting TMDB to match the TV series
7. Optimize poster loading speed
8. Solve the problem that the grid list interface sometimes has no focus
9. Solve the problem that using Douban to match episodes cannot be classified correctly
10. Fix the problem of incorrect viewing and recording data in the main interface
11. Solve the problem that the list is sorted incorrectly after editing the poster title in web mode
12. Fix the problem that the state is not saved after modifying the sort in card mode
13. Optimize the matching success rate
14. Optimize the UI display of the setting interface

File manager
1. Optimize partial translation
2. Fix the problem of playing record error

Quick settings
1. Add the default first audio track setting

Hot key
1. Add PIP shortcut keys
2. Add shutdown shortcut

HDMI IN
1. Add PIP shortcut key function
2. Fix the problem that it will automatically enter the screensaver

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Just received my Z9X and was wondering if someone could help me.

Trying to get DV to work but can't seem to.
I have an LG Oled 65EP and my Z9X is running though an Anthem MRX-1120.
Settings are as follows
Frame Rate Switch off
Display Auto (3840x2160P)
Color settings 4K50-60Hz priority YUV420 10bit
4K-23-30Hz Priority YUV 444 10 bit
Non 4K Priority YUV 444 8 bit
HDMI Color Region 16-235
HDR Auto (when I try Dolby Vision VS10 Engine screen menu goes weird color, plays audio no picture, boots back to menu with setting etc.)
I'm trying play UHD full rips but only get HDR no DV showing on TV

If I rip UHD to MKV with DV would that give me DV?

Trying to work my way through the settings but can't seem to get anything to work.
Would appreciate any guidance. I don't mind reripping some of the full rips to a different format if that helps.

does this play support forced subs in UHD?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Hi Just received my Z9X and was wondering if someone could help me.

Trying to get DV to work but can't seem to.
I have an LG Oled 65EP and my Z9X is running though an Anthem MRX-1120.
Settings are as follows
Frame Rate Switch off
Display Auto (3840x2160P)
Color settings 4K50-60Hz priority YUV420 10bit
4K-23-30Hz Priority YUV 444 10 bit
Non 4K Priority YUV 444 8 bit
HDMI Color Region 16-235
HDR Auto (when I try Dolby Vision VS10 Engine screen menu goes weird color, plays audio no picture, boots back to menu with setting etc.)
I'm trying play UHD full rips but only get HDR no DV showing on TV

If I rip UHD to MKV with DV would that give me DV?

Trying to work my way through the settings but can't seem to get anything to work.
Would appreciate any guidance. I don't mind reripping some of the full rips to a different format if that helps.

does this play support forced subs in UHD?

Thanks
Yes, you'll need to rip to MKV for DV and the output will depend on the EDID (ie the monitor) and the HDR mode chosen.

You can of course force LLDV if the EDID supports it (in which case that option is available in the HDR options) or the support is as follows if you chose <Auto> or <VS10> with a DV EDID:

The settings you posted look good with the exception of frame rate - I'd definitely set "Switch frame rate and resolution"

Bear in mind that the priority colour modes don't apply to DV modes - they're set by the VS10 engine depending on EDID.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks Markswift2003. It's difficult for an old dog like myself to understand these things. I have ripped UHD to MKV DV using DVDFab but still only get HDR when playing. Should I try MakeMKV? Perhaps my OLED 65EP is not compatible with some setting? When I try putting the setting to VS10 the screen changes colour. I then try to play the movie, but it kick the picture out and while the audio is playing it just shows the main screen of the unit with settings etc. Also colours are all weird. When I got into settings it has reverted video to 1080P60Hz. Anyways, appreciate any suggestions. I have also tried setting screen to 3840x2160P 23Hz but same thing happens.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Thanks Markswift2003. It's difficult for an old dog like myself to understand these things. I have ripped UHD to MKV DV using DVDFab but still only get HDR when playing. Should I try MakeMKV? Perhaps my OLED 65EP is not compatible with some setting? When I try putting the setting to VS10 the screen changes colour. I then try to play the movie, but it kick the picture out and while the audio is playing it just shows the main screen of the unit with settings etc. Also colours are all weird. When I got into settings it has reverted video to 1080P60Hz. Anyways, appreciate any suggestions. I have also tried setting screen to 3840x2160P 23Hz but same thing happens.
I've not used DVDFab for UHD, but MakeMKV is fine - I'm using v1.15.2.

When you say that the screen changes colour, do you mean like this:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll try to take a couple of pics

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Markswift2003
Sorry trying to take pics but they don't turn out that well where you can see the difference. I've had a chance to do some experimenting. With the setting mentioned I tried to set the HDR to VS10. The colour goes really bright like HDR but when trying to play a video it kicks me out to the main Zidoo screen, the movie plays audio only and the resolution kicks back to 1080p60Hz. The only way to get it back to 4K is not choose VS10. I tried ripping UHD movie with makemkv 1.15.2 (more than once) and it won't play at all. I know DVDFab does support DV to mkv, but again I can only get HDR to show up on my OLED65. I'm beginning to think that's it's my TV. Hoping somebody on this forum has the same TV and can let me know. If not too much trouble could you post your settings?
Thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Hi Markswift2003
Sorry trying to take pics but they don't turn out that well where you can see the difference. I've had a chance to do some experimenting. With the setting mentioned I tried to set the HDR to VS10. The colour goes really bright like HDR but when trying to play a video it kicks me out to the main Zidoo screen, the movie plays audio only and the resolution kicks back to 1080p60Hz. The only way to get it back to 4K is not choose VS10. I tried ripping UHD movie with makemkv 1.15.2 (more than once) and it won't play at all. I know DVDFab does support DV to mkv, but again I can only get HDR to show up on my OLED65. I'm beginning to think that's it's my TV. Hoping somebody on this forum has the same TV and can let me know. If not too much trouble could you post your settings?
Thanks again for all your help
Have you tried direct to the TV - ie without the Anthem in the HDMI chain just to see if that works?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just received the Zidoo Z9X. However, I cannot find the option to turn off the subtitle. When I go to the subtitle menu, I see multiple options but none of which can turn off the subtitle. Strange. How can I turn off the subtitle? Thanks.

261 - 280 of 321 Posts