AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It might be easier to turn equipment on manually to test and then reprogram Harmony if it solves the problem.
Thanks, Cappy1. That's a good idea. Mele Kalikimaka.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
Hi Mark,
Until I shutdown the Zidoo, it’s perfect (and indeed the HDR flag and info are kept unchanged using the mapping HDR - checked on Envy input).

As soon as I shutdown and power on the Zidoo, most of the time my config is lost and goes back to 60p + hdr auto. Randomly, the hdr setting is kept.
For my test, I kept everything up (my vertex is placed just between the Zidoo and the Envy with a custom edid (edid 11: 4K60-444 600Mhz HDR BT2020 All sound).
But the config is not keeping the config after shutdown. This is really annoying.. do you know if there is any plan on Zidoo side to have the possibility to force it?
Not sure why it's doing that - I have 2 boxes and 1 test board running, all connected to Vertexes, so they have an EDID present all the time, and mine have never reverted from settings I've made manually, even on very early firmware.

Things can get a bit trippy when I'm continually messing with EDIDs, but once things have settled down the config is rock solid.

Try EDID 29 as a test.

This is the same as EDID 11 but restricted to 400MHz which is the maximum you want with the Envy anyway because you would always want 4K60 420 10-bit (400MHz) to match content and not 422 12-bit or 444 8-bit (both 600MHz).

Reactions: DavCap78

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure why it's doing that - I have 2 boxes and 1 test board running, all connected to Vertexes, so they have an EDID present all the time, and mine have never reverted from settings I've made manually, even on very early firmware.

Things can get a bit trippy when I'm continually messing with EDIDs, but once things have settled down the config is rock solid.

Try EDID 29 as a test.

This is the same as EDID 11 but restricted to 400MHz which is the maximum you want with the Envy anyway because you would always want 4K60 420 10-bit (400MHz) to match content and not 422 12-bit or 444 8-bit (both 600MHz).
Thanks a lot Mark, will give it a try.
One question:
Do you use power off or standby?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #525

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use Power Off.
Ok I think I found the problem: the “auto launch at startup” feature.

I used it to start up directly on HT4. But it seems to break the HDMI force config of Zidoo (at least for hdr and frame rate). I saw it with the display input of Envy where during the start up of Zidoo, it’s start with 60p then switch to 23p. When auto launch of HT4 is configured, this step is sometimes skipped. Maybe a ticket for Zidoo.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
Ok I think I found the problem: the “auto launch at startup” feature.

I used it to start up directly on HT4. But it seems to break the HDMI force config of Zidoo (at least for hdr and frame rate). I saw it with the display input of Envy where during the start up of Zidoo, it’s start with 60p then switch to 23p. When auto launch of HT4 is configured, this step is sometimes skipped. Maybe a ticket for Zidoo.
Again very strange - you know what I'm going to say...... :)

I always have HT4 launched on startup. I have HDR set to LLDV (although I used to have it set to Mapping HDR) and frame rate & resolution on 4K23.

There's got to be another variable at play here...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Again very strange - you know what I'm going to say...... :)

I always have HT4 launched on startup. I have HDR set to LLDV (although I used to have it set to Mapping HDR) and frame rate & resolution on 4K23.

There's got to be another variable at play here...
Mmmm strange indeed.
I will confirm this on my next session.
Maybe I should reset my Zidoo..

·
Registered
89 Posts
New session shows that the problem persists. So there is another parameter.. I decided to reset to factory settings... will reconfigure my box.

EDIT: reconfiguration done.. seems mores stable but will confirm it.

I forget to mention that before resetting, I test a restart of the Vertex while Zidoo was running. The result was to put back the config to 60p.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
So I made a thread yesterday asking about a possible replacement for my Oppo 203, as I use the 203 to stream my 4k UHD movie collection. The rips I make are full disc 1:1 in BDMV format. In this way, the Oppo passes Dolby Vision as is to my LG OLED (plays exactly like a disc). But due to the price of getting a backup 203 in case my primary one ever broke, I am looking for an alternative.

Reading into the Zidoo, it seems it may be my solution. Am I missing something or will this stream my afformentioned backups from my Synology NAS (through NFS protocol) in a 1:1 fashion (if compared to playing from the disc), with full Dolby Vision and HDR10 support?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does someone knows how to save or define the default PGS subtitle position on HT4? Each time, the position is reset to 0 (but the brightness setting is kept). My FW is v6.0.80g

·
Registered
89 Posts
New session shows that the problem persists. So there is another parameter.. I decided to reset to factory settings... will reconfigure my box.

EDIT: reconfiguration done.. seems mores stable but will confirm it.

I forget to mention that before resetting, I test a restart of the Vertex while Zidoo was running. The result was to put back the config to 60p.
With the help of Mark (thanks again) I was able to understand how to fix my problem:
  • Display/HDMI Mode was reset by Zidoo to 3840x2160p 60Hz instead of 23Hz
  • Display/HDR was reset by Zidoo to Auto instead of HDR mapping

When the HDMI edid (the one coming from Zidoo HDMI such as AVR, TV, video processor,...) is not available at the start of Zidoo or when Zidoo detect a change on EDID,
Zidoo box will automatically test and re-apply the best settings for the HDMI mode and HDR settings.

To solve this problem (and as @markswift2003 already mentioned), Zidoo must be started when the EDID is available. If Zidoo is connected to an AVR, then your Zidoo should be turn on after the AVR.
In my case it was connected to a HDFury Vertex 2 which was started at the same time as Zidoo. I solved the problem by keeping the vertex always plugged on.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hello.

The more I use the zidoo Z9X I have Random stuttering with hd and UHD backups

Over SMB network and even with usb 3.0 attached drive.

I use a samba share over wired gig network..

I may play a movie almost without stutter, then it will stutter for no reason for fee seconds.

If I go back to same spot in video, it will not do again..

Sometimes when I get constant few second stuttering, I hit pause then play then it may not stutter for a longer time..

Sometimes even hitting 0 key to jump to 0 percent, it will start to stutter almost right away, then if you hit 0 again and again it may play smooth for a while

All random.

Can someone test these bitrate files and see how high you can go without stutter over SMB and attached direct to zidoo usb?

Sometimes I can get 140Mbs smooth, then try Agsin and stutters..

one time I was able to get to 250Mbs..

With my zidoo z9s I had no stutter issues at all with same files, network wired etc.. And was able to play upto and over 400Mbs test files..

I am very frustrated.. I purchased 3 z9x units a and can't even get a full movie to play without stuttering.. at random points..

I even tried Nfs which Agsin worked better but the random will stutter on files that played smooth..

Not sure if memory issue In zidoo, some code in firmware etc. and or bitrate gling Thur network card or codecs..

I have the newest x85 beta firmware..

Hope someone can help... As I'm very disappointed coming from owed many zidoo models over the years..

521 - 540 of 614 Posts