AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 830 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

I want to buy a zidoo z9x, but before i made purchase i have a few questions.
The Z9x have only one hdmi output, my av amplifier doesn’t support DV, so i have to use a splitter 4K to separate the sound and picture. I have a nas so i don’t need a player with hdd bay.
Someone have already do that ? if yes is it working with dv signal ?
Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
Hello everyone,

I want to buy a zidoo z9x, but before i made purchase i have a few questions.
The Z9x have only one hdmi output, my av amplifier doesn’t support DV, so i have to use a splitter 4K to separate the sound and picture. I have a nas so i don’t need a player with hdd bay.
Someone have already do that ? if yes is it working with dv signal ?
Thank you :)
I haven't tried this so no guarantee these devices work, but you need something a bit smarter than a standard splitter.

This is an HDMI audio extractor which says it does exactly what you want - so worst case, if it doesn't work you can send it back.

What would definitely work is an HDFury device, but you need to spend a lot more to get one of those.

Reactions: Alex_Snr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for explanation and the link. (y)(y)I will try cheap splitter the hdfury is very expensive it will be my last choice if nothing doesn’t work..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Help! My Zidoo Z9X is not detecting one my external hard drives. My 2TB Seagate is not showing up when I plug into any of the USB inputs. Meanwhile, my 4TB WD is detected and plays everything perfectly fine on it. Nothing else is different about these drives. Both are exFAT.

Also, when I try to play blu-ray rips through SMB through the network to retrieve from my desktop computer, everything stutters. I assume the transfer speed is inadequate. These MKV files are bit for bit the same as blu-rays. No additional handbrake compression. Any way to speed this up?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have read somewhere that it is better to have the screen handle all conversions. But when I read about adjustable Edid and HDFury (and to trick your screen into something it is not) it seems the opposite. How the TV handles the signal seems less important? Or is it just different for TV's and Projectors?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Help! My Zidoo Z9X is not detecting one my external hard drives. My 2TB Seagate is not showing up when I plug into any of the USB inputs. Meanwhile, my 4TB WD is detected and plays everything perfectly fine on it. Nothing else is different about these drives. Both are exFAT.

Also, when I try to play blu-ray rips through SMB through the network to retrieve from my desktop computer, everything stutters. I assume the transfer speed is inadequate. These MKV files are bit for bit the same as blu-rays. No additional handbrake compression. Any way to speed this up?
The question in my mind in regard to SMB is: "Are all your LAN ports, or used routers or splitters Gigabyte Ethernet speed ?"...I have no Zidoo Z9X but a reading test perhaps could shed some light on it...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #788 ·
I have read somewhere that it is better to have the screen handle all conversions. But when I read about adjustable Edid and HDFury (and to trick your screen into something it is not) it seems the opposite. How the TV handles the signal seems less important? Or is it just different for TV's and Projectors?
That usually refers to upscaling/downscaling and it very much depends on the devices as to which is best.

The EDID/HDFury tricks are to force the box into outputting something the TV says it shouldn't - eg. BT.2020 LLDV for a non LLDV display or HDR10 for a DV display etc.

Reactions: compingharry

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #790 · (Edited)

As far as the SMB issue goes, my guess would the host machine's network card or how it's set up (and the vagaries of windows networking!).

Personally I have never had a single issue with SMB transfers from my Western Digital NAS drives over SMB (through 5 switches on a network with upwards of 110 clients or so). I can play the 400Mbps jellyfish test no problem and have never had so much as a skipped frame with any UHD remuxed content - this from one Z9X permanently installed in my cinema and two other test boxes (well, one box and one board!) on the other side of the house, several switches away.

However, I also tested a Windows 10 Laptop (circa 2010), a Windows 7 Dual Xeon HP workstation (circa 2008) and a standard HP Windows 10 desktop (circa 2015) and although the two older machines performed with no issues, I had stuttering from the HP desktop.

Although all have gigabit ethernet, I put this down to the network card in the desktop. I know from testing that some of my older NAS drives have approx. half the network transfer rate of the newer ones despite all being gigabit ethernet - all gigabit devices are most definitely not created equal!

There have been several occasions on the Zidoo forums where people instantly blame the Zidoo for poor SMB performance and refuse to believe that maybe the problem lies in the robustness of their network, whether that's software or hardware related. I kind of try to keep out of those conversations, but every now and again I think it's worth a reality check.

In my experience there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the way the Zidoos handle SMB - at the very worst it would have to be seen as an incompatibility, but so far no-one has been able to tie that down.

Reactions: steelman1991

·
Registered
340 Posts
As far as the SMB issue goes, my guess would the host machine's network card or how it's set up (and the vagaries of windows networking!).
Yeah, I kind of assumed so too. I'm using an old MacPro from March of 2009, running MacOS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. Not sure what adjustments to make (could make) to speed things up.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
Yeah, I kind of assumed so too. I'm using an old MacPro from March of 2009, running MacOS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. Not sure what adjustments to make (could make) to speed things up.
Ah yes, the arcane workings of MacOS networking. Designed by Apple in California to work on absolutely nothing...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ah yes, the arcane workings of MacOS networking. Designed by Apple in California to work on absolutely nothing...
I ended up taking my Zidoo back for a refund and will simply use an Nvidia Shield for my 4K blu-ray rips through Plex. It works great for Direct Play. By the way, I side-loaded Plex onto the Zidoo. It doesn't work at all for video. I got music to play but the volume was a fraction of dB as my Nvidia Shield. Weird.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is an Edid library a viable idea?
At the same time I am trying to grasp what essentials are said on a few threads (Pro Vision/Z9x/4k Dolby FEL RPU) and the load of information overwhelms me at the moment (maybe 3TIA's is too much?)...I am thinking: What if I try to feed a 4K file which I have on my computer to Z9x which for now I want to play on a Full HD TV...what do I do? It is a little bit silly to have a serie like Game of Thrones on 1080pMKVx264, Bluray ISO and 4K-MKV.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
Is an Edid library a viable idea?
At the same time I am trying to grasp what essentials are said on a few threads (Pro Vision/Z9x/4k Dolby FEL RPU) and the load of information overwhelms me at the moment (maybe 3TIA's is too much?)...I am thinking: What if I try to feed a 4K file which I have on my computer to Z9x which for now I want to play on a Full HD TV...what do I do? It is a little bit silly to have a serie like Game of Thrones on 1080pMKVx264, Bluray ISO and 4K-MKV.
It already does that - I don't know what the limit is, or if there is one, but I've had 10 EDIDs loaded at once.

It's really for those who like to experiment and ostensibly for those who want to view Dolby Vision on a non Dolby Vision display and you kind of need to know a bit about EDID editing to make full use of it.

Other things you can do is for example restrict the EDID to 400MHz if your cables are not up to 600MHz or kill Dolby Vision if your display is a bit rubbish at DV (I've had that request before). Or if you're using a splitter that doesn't handle EDID very well, you can upload your display EDID to the box.

If you have a full HD TV and you play a 4K file, your TV EDID already tells the Zidoo that 4K is not supported so it would just play in 1080p anyway - no custom EDID needed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't understand the hype about Z9x...although technically it will have a lot of potential...I find nothing about it intuïtive, and there is nothing like a Quick Start. You really have to learn this device. Here I find myself confronted with a Samba Server, who I can access by IP/username/password, but as soon as I see my folders I wonder: why can't I access them...Ah...the Enable password has to be on but I have already used a password and already seen my folders!...Strange scrolling with the pad in Bluray ISO menu's (episodes GOT)...and when I am done...where is the Off button in...Not an intuïtve way to switch between control app windows with those little buttons in the corners. After scanning the shared folders I would expect some posters and so in in HomeTheater as a quick start, just a peak, nothing fancy...but, Nothing at all...why is that? How do I scrape? I open my files via Media Sources and play some files, some lighter, some darker depending on 4K, Bluray ISO, UHD MKVx265 etc. Now I understand why @markswift2003 uses only 4K...It makes everything a whole lot easier...(And yes, I know, this is only the second time I took a quick look at Z9x after reading 40 pages here, but I can't recall being stupid using Pro4K Plus II or Pro Vision...less effort, quick results...) I will take my time getting to know Z9x because from a learning point of view this is a challenge for me. December 2020 I had no Dune or Zidoo...so, no, I had no preconceptions...

·
Registered
StormAudio ISP32 MK1.5 32Ch AES, QSC Q-sys Core & DCA Power Amps, SIM2 Nero 3D-1 & Nero 3, HTPC
717 Posts
I don't understand the hype about Z9x...although technically it will have a lot of potential...I find nothing about it intuïtive, and there is nothing like a Quick Start. You really have to learn this device. Here I find myself confronted with a Samba Server, who I can access by IP/username/password, but as soon as I see my folders I wonder: why can't I access them...Ah...the Enable password has to be on but I have already used a password and already seen my folders!...Strange scrolling with the pad in Bluray ISO menu's (episodes GOT)...and when I am done...where is the Off button in...Not an intuïtve way to switch between control app windows with those little buttons in the corners. After scanning the shared folders I would expect some posters and so in in HomeTheater as a quick start, just a peak, nothing fancy...but, Nothing at all...why is that? How do I scrape? I open my files via Media Sources and play some files, some lighter, some darker depending on 4K, Bluray ISO, UHD MKVx265 etc. Now I understand why @markswift2003 uses only 4K...It makes everything a whole lot easier...(And yes, I know, this is only the second time I took a quick look at Z9x after reading 40 pages here, but I can't recall being stupid using Pro4K Plus II or Pro Vision...less effort, quick results...) I will take my time getting to know Z9x because from a learning point of view this is a challenge for me. December 2020 I had no Dune or Zidoo...so, no, I had no preconceptions...
In Home Theatre you need to add the folders you want scanned under sources. Once added they will automatically scan in any content you add.

I've used several Zidoo & Dune players and have both a Z9X and Vision 4K Solo.

For Bluray (HD & UHD) iso & folder playback I find Dune better.

For mkv can't tell the difference.

I find the HDMI connection seems more robust on the Dune. On the Zidoo I find it a bit weak and the settings always want to output 4K when change the tone mapping option even though I set the resolution to force 1080p. Has something to do with it detecting my 4K TV enough it is off and 1080p projector is on. Dune doesn't care and locks to what I have set as the resultion.

Collection management Zidoo's Home Theatre is way better at the moment than Dune's My Collection. My Collection doesn't even auto scan for new content or allow me to sort the movies by data added. So despite Zidoo's short comings I use it first and only use the Dune if the Zidoo has a playback problem for a particular movie I want to watch.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In Home Theatre you need to add the folders you want scanned under sources. Once added they will automatically scan in any content you add.

I've used several Zidoo & Dune players and have both a Z9X and Vision 4K Solo.

For Bluray (HD & UHD) iso & folder playback I find Dune better.

For mkv can't tell the difference.

I find the HDMI connection seems more robust on the Dune. On the Zidoo I find it a bit weak and the settings always want to output 4K when change the tone mapping option even though I set the resolution to force 1080p. Has something to do with it detecting my 4K TV enough it is off and 1080p projector is on. Dune doesn't care and locks to what I have set as the resultion.

Collection management Zidoo's Home Theatre is way better at the moment than Dune's My Collection. My Collection doesn't even auto scan for new content or allow me to sort the movies by data added. So despite Zidoo's short comings I use it first and only use the Dune if the Zidoo has a playback problem for a particular movie I want to watch.
Very recognizable and good to know :D. For those who buy a mediaplayer and only want to play without thinking too much, Dune seems to be te better choice and I understand why Dune is proud of years of developping their android interface/Control App. If Dune Control App would include an alfabetical keyboard I would not touch a "traditional" remote anymore. Zidoo is fun for "Can you do this?, can you do that?...", understanding what is possible and why it is possible (or not). Playing my ST Bluray from HDD, and "disposable" materials off an USB stick in my small living room (that's why a front USB port is required for me), for some reason Pro Vision picture quality is fabulous out of the box on my old UE32C6000. Question: Is there an easy way to put in login names and passwords?...I find myself using the hardware remote which seems silly nowadays? Maybe I am gonna use my old quadcore music computer as a dedicated server...seems no need to buy Synology, Icy Box or WD NAS...I won't put any energy in HT, but anything that comes standard out of the box is appreciated...

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,198 Posts
I played an MP4 with an AAC soundtrack last night and the volume was so low I could barely hear it. Play same file on my Intel NUC mini PC and volume fine. Any thoughts? Playing both through my Denon A/V receiver over HDMI.

781 - 800 of 830 Posts