AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just received a Zinwell processor, latest firmware, and would like to combine it with my ae200. I tried the vga to component inputs on the panny at 480 and it worked well (using a digital comcast broadcast and a dvd) but when I connected the Zinwell directly to the projector via vga/vga, I get an overly green picture. I mean way overly green, not something that can be adjusted. The zinwell came to me without a manual. Anyone know whats up? Also,the (green) picture in 720 from a regular digital input source is stretched. Does this mean I will only be able to use the 720 with a hi-def source broadcasting in 16x9? I guess it does. Thanks for all responses!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Have you tried to flip the toggle switch on the back of the unit which cycles it from component (YPbPr) to RGB (VGA) mode for direct VGA connection to AE200. You then can toggle through the different resolutions to see which looks best (VGA, SVGA, XGA, or SXGA). AE200 is wideVGA so I suspect VGA will be your sweet spot. Component however may be best at 480p as it allows more color adjustment on AE200. You need to call Zinwell for manual or your salesperson. Maybe BillChiu (an AVS member and Zinwell and Lumagen dealer) can help (try PM him).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply. I'll pm him now and try the switch I didn't know about when I get home tonight. Again, thanks. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huey, I connected the vga to vga and toggled the switch:), but the vga to component cable looked much better. The straight vga connection looked soft at all resolutions compared to the break out cable. This surprised me. Can you explain this? Remember I just using a cable box connected to the Zinwell by composite. Robin

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Some PJ has better color rendition on component mode vs. VGA. My NEC LT150 is the same way. 720p component output looks better than native XGA of the PJ via VGA.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huey, when I set the resolution to 480, looks good, when I set it to 720 it doesn't sync or something. All I get is garble. When I set it to 1080, it is soft (and stretched, of course) All with a digital box again. How can I access 720 or will this projector just not work in that mode with the zinwell.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Are you using a 3 RCA males to VGA (15, trapezoid) male plug breakout cable or are you using VGA male to VGA male cable? If you are using the latter cable then you may need to break pin 13 and 14 (Hsync and Vsync) of the cable as Zinwell sometimes output Hsync and Vsync in addition to sync on green and this confuses your PJ) even when the switch is on "component" on the back of the Zinwell/AVT-3700. My XGA DLP had the same problem until I did this. I believe the latest Zinwell firmware corrects this error but who knows if this is the problem. If you are already using the breakout cable then your PJ may not be sync'ing to Zinwell's 720p. Try to unplug the green component cable and replug to force it to resync after both PJ and Zinwell is powered up. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using a 3 rca to 15 pin male breakout cable. I'd like to try removing pins 13 and 14 but don't know their position. Would you mind telling me how to identify them. Thanks

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If you are already using the VGA->3 RCA breakout cable then clipping won't help or hurt as pin 13 or 14 is not active or hooked up to any cable. It's only active if you use VGA->VGA cable. I suggest calling Zinwell if you can't resync by reconnecting green video cable while Zinwell and PJ is on together to force a resync. Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello Robin Loggie,

I have received your PM and will forward to Zinwell directly over in Taiwan to see if they have some great suggestion for you. As soon as they follow up I will let you know. In the mean time please check with a computer monitor to see if you can set Zinwell to all resolution it has to offer, like 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024.

I will keep you posted.

Bill

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can sync to all resolutions on the projector using vga to vga. I can't sync to 720 using vga to rca. Got your PM and again thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.