AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Zipato controller short review

Hi guys,

I just want to share my initial experience with theZipatile, if anyone is looking into it you should check out this post before buying.

I bought my ZipaTile from Zipato web shop last week. (You might remember my post about weighing down multiple controllers before deciding to go with Zipatile. I hope I don't regret my decision :D)

So far so good, so here is my two cents on it:

This is a device packed with features, which was actually one of the reasons I decided for the Zipatile instead of Homey. I've decided that the basic sensors you get in it dont suit my summer house exactly so I went ahead and implemented some fibaro relays, philips HUEs, added my Aeon plugs and dw sensors. After I had all the devices in place, it was time to set up the installation.
So let me begin. First the packaging is really nice, and the device itself is pretty solid. The controller came with protective foil, charger, a manual, charger + plug, h7 connector, 4 screws and 4 plastic screw anchors. After mounting it to the wall and connecting it to the boiler outputs, I was ready to add devices.

First I had to register it in order to access the main features of it. The registration was pretty painless and straight forward. It automatically asked me for my phone number and location to customize the first experience - I was impressed. After entering the initial view, the app was lightning fast but the design lacked usability.It took me some time to get used to where everything was, but once I got a grip of it, it went pretty smooth.
Including devices was a breeze, I managed to finish the whole installation - with automation, in just under 3 hours. The Zipato rule creator unfortunately isn't available on the tile itself so I had to use my MacBook Air on site, but never the less, once I got to the app - I was done in a minute.

Once I discovered they had an instructional youtube channel, I was hooked.
Found all sorts of useful tutorials which showed me the features this tile had which I didn't even know about. The gestures, touch manager, etc etc - I was soo hooked, that I ended up playing with it for another 3 hours :D:D:D

So far so good, but lets give it another few weeks to check its reliability and overall stability.
I gotta hand it to them, even though this is the most expensive controller on the market - it is definitely worth it if you are serious about your home.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheers Mark,

Went with the Zipatile as my main solution for the cottage I'm "modernizing".
It is indeed pretty painless, and straight forward.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel suspicious when someone replies to an old thread, but I feel strongly for this one, so will reply to tell you that you would be better off looking for something else. The Zipatile concept may have some merits for a single-room house, or a rented place, where you cannot install wires and such, but the implementation is awful. The support is non-existent, and you are locked into a walled garden, perhaps even much more than any similar hub, with plenty of promises and none of those ever true.

Ignore the eye-candy, and look for a solution that can actually deliver what you are after. I for one use CQC (charmedquark.com), but there are others as well. For the price of Zipatile, you can get a capable computer with CQC running on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts