AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using or has input about this sound card? It is a lot cheaper $ wise, but I want to make sure I still have the quality compared to the M-Audio DiO. Mainly I want the digital input and output, but do not need the decoder part, being my receiver will do this.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i have been using card for about 2 monbths and absolutely love it!!!worked right out of the box and sounds awesome...i did upgrade to the NEWEST drivers right away.

brickie

·
Registered
693 Posts
I agree with everyone...the Nightingale is awesome for the price. I've been using mine for about a year and a half or so and wouldn't change for anything.

Brickie, weren't you the one that I helped to find a place to buy one? Either way, glad to see that you got one and love it as much as I do.

Greg

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
that would be correct...and i'm glad i went with it.

brickie

·
Registered
386 Posts
I used one and loved it. I now have an nforce 2 and the onboard sound is what I am using. I will sell you the pro 6 for a cheap price if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The digital IO works great. The anlog out is so so. Recording analog in is horrible. So as long as you never will want to record analog sound, your fine.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Chemist
The digital IO works great. The anlog out is so so. Recording analog in is horrible. So as long as you never will want to record analog sound, your fine.
I will be using for recording from my satellite receiver, which is digital. It will either be PCM or DD. Will this be a problem?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by orbillius
I used one and loved it. I now have an nforce 2 and the onboard sound is what I am using. I will sell you the pro 6 for a cheap price if you are interested.
I also have the nforce 2 with my A7N8X Deluxe. I just have been unable to get digital audio when recording some video to my hard drive. It always just comes out of the left and center speakers only during playback.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had my Nightengale for about 6 months now, and it works great except for one thing. First of all, I have my sound card connected strictly with the Toslink output to my receiver. It works perfect for DVD playback, MP3, CDs.. etc.. But the one thing that I can't seem to figure out, is how to have the card automatically route AUX sound input to the output. For some reason, the only way I can get the routing to work is to open up the mixer settings, and enable the "Loopback spdif" flag. Then AUX routing to my receiver works great! However, now with this setting enabled, all regular sound processing stops. The DVD, MP3, CD ect.. don't produce any sound. It's quite frustrating. I think what I'd love to see is some sort of option in the sound card that takes AUX or LineIN sound and processes it out the spdif connection, rather than a simple routing... Ok.. I'm done with my little rant.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rgathright
I will be using for recording from my satellite receiver, which is digital. It will either be PCM or DD. Will this be a problem?
Should be fine as long as the app you are using can record via SPDIF. The ones I tried only looked for analog inputs. There was no way to configure them for SPDIF in.

Edit: You can't record DD though. Only PCM.

·
Registered
469 Posts
No digital 5.1 support...

I have this card and the one problem is that you can only play 2ch via the digital output. I haven't tried passthrough with a DVD (perhaps somebody could tell us if this works and with which DVD player software), but you won't get DD output from things like WM9 or games.

I'm not sure if you can record DD encoded material via the SPDIF in. I haven't tried this.

The only bad thing about this card besides the afore mentioned gripe (which some would tell me I am not entitled to gripe about) is that it requires a second slot for the digital I/O. So if you're short on slots, you lose two by using this card.

But at about $35, it's a steal.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the reason I am looking at this card for $35 it is worth the gamble compared to $120. I am just going to attach the digital I/O to the back of my computer and maybe tape it where nothing will touch anything. By you saying it will not do DD5.1, will play audio in all of my speakers? When I recorded something with my current onboard card it would only play out of my left and center speakers.

Where did you find it for $35? I found it somewhere for $40 (which I have been unable to find again).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xkode2002
No digital 5.1 support...

I have this card and the one problem is that you can only play 2ch via the digital output. I haven't tried passthrough with a DVD (perhaps somebody could tell us if this works and with which DVD player software), but you won't get DD output from things like WM9 or games.
Thats not exactly true. I have managed to play full AC3 5.1 Digital output from PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer out the spdif output to my external amp, which has built in AC3 and DTS decoding. When I play a DVD or an MPEG file with an AC3 steam, my amp reads (digital AC3). And believe me, it sounds like digital AC3 also.

I think what you might be confused about is the mixer settings say to set the speaker configureation to (2 speakes) to use the spdif output. That doesn't mean it plays 2-channels only, just that the mixer must be set to that in order to produce sound out the spdif output port. You might want to have a look at the AC3Filter package (can't remember URL). It seems to work pretty good for me.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
This card works fine for DD5.1 output. The settings are a bit confusing becaue for SPDIF it has to be set to stereo. When you run the dolby tests its 5.1. There are a few threads aroung on this issue.

The Nightengale is just one of several clones which use the same chipset. I have the Audio-excel AVM515M. This works with the Nightengale drivers. Visually, the pictures look identidal. Here is the good part, you can buy it today at Directron for $14.99.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK I am sold on this card, but I cannot find where to buy it at.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rgathright
I am just going to attach the digital I/O to the back of my computer and maybe tape it where nothing will touch anything.
That's what I did with mine when I was using it...had the daughter card outside my computer. That was before I "upgraded" to a Revo. If you want a used one, I'd be willing to part with mine for $20 + shipping.

Murray

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i get DD, and DTS with no problems for this card!!!also the "clone" for $14, is a STEAL!!!i may get another one for backup.

brickie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.