1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
164 Posts
Haven't seen this, although I always meant to . . . my own fault, really. Another chance to check it out now!

·
Registered
581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk /forum/post/20805499

that price is not so nice...

Agreed. I'd love to have this but not for $28!!!

Would be great for Halloween.

I remember seeing this at the drive-in when I was little.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
on my waiting for price drop list

·
Registered
470 Posts
It sounds like it's got a pretty stacked slate of new extras and Bill Lustig has promised that it's a new transfer from the negative, so while not cheap at least you'll probably end up getting what you pay for. The only part that worries me is the quality of Italian transfers is all over the map, with the best of the bunch having been produced without BU's direct involvement (Inferno and Deep Red, especially). If it's on par with The Bird With Crystal Plumage or The New York Ripper, I'll be more than happy even for that price. If it looks more like Burial Grounds or Cat O' Nine Tails, well...

But hey, it couldn't be worse than MANIAC!, right?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I hope they use that old Anchor bay dvd 5.1 mix, but i doubt it. Any idea what mix was used in blue underground dvd, is it same as in shriek show dvd?

·
Registered
466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/20814051

A rental, unless they fix that unfortunate scanner noise that's been plaguing many of their HD transfers.

I think it's out of hands of Blue Underground and that many Italian films were scanned directly in Italy. Infact that noise can be seen on some other old films from other countries so I might not only blame a scanner?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have little doubt that Shriek Show, Blue Underground and Arrow Video are all having their film scanning work done in Italy. But what does that matter? These transfers are being made at the request of these licensors specifically for their use - wither it's directly their "fault" or not, they have to ultimately take responsibility for them.

The new French BD release of THE VIRGIN SUICIDES has similar noise. My guess is whoever scanned the film used a similar CRT setup to LVR of Rome, is all. I refuse to believe that sort of irregular noise is magically baked into a Hollywood film from less than 15 years ago.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
$17 or I stay with my DVD. I don't care about extras. They should save the money on that and just put out good blurays of the movie at a fair price.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sounds like BU's gone all out on this one. I'm a little curious how much of that higher-than-usual MSRP is because of the restoration rather than the extras...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nah, they had to buy the film lab new HD monitors to replace the CRT's they have been using while "transferring" Burial Ground, Zombie Holocaust, Buio Omega, etc.....

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax1 /forum/post/20863360

Nah, they had to buy the film lab new HD monitors to replace the CRT's they have been using while "transferring" Burial Ground, Zombie Holocaust, Buio Omega, etc.....

Do you have any source for that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts