AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi,

I have a 5.1 setup in the basement and have 4 speakers upstairs to use for airplay.

Can someone please recommend a receiver that can support 4 speakers in zone 2 and can play airplay. Ideally I would like to control the music and volume from my phone since the receiver will be in the basement.  I don't want airplay to play in zone 1 at all.  Is there a receiver out there that can do this?  I am also open to using external airplay devices to achieve this.

Thanks in advanced for any help received.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The trouble is there's a bit of a dance that goes on with starting airplay. It involves switching zone 1 temporarily. You might be better served just using a second AVR for this. I've got an X3000 driving a family room setup and an E300 in an exercise room.

Also note, the Airplay feature in most (all?) AVRs is audio-only. For both video and audio I'm experimenting with using a Raspberry Pi running OpenElec. This feeds into an HDMI port on the AVR and gets me independent input for Airplay (among the many other streaming functions the XBMC-based distro provides).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts