AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a recommendation for an AV Receiver that will output audio to a zone 2, even when the original audio source is digital.

My current receiver will not output audio to a zone 2 unless the source audio is analog.

My budget is about $1000, and I like Onkyo... but not married to that brand.

·
Registered
326 Posts
What about the Denon 4520. The prices have dropped and you can grab a nice deal from accessoies4less.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@****42,
Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to take a closer look at the manual.
It's interesting that this unit has 4 Ethernet ports. I find that interesting because the main point of this purchase is so that I can hook the unit into a sonos system.

From the product page:
Zone audio source: HDMI / opt, coax / Network, USB / analog
- / - / o / o

Now, that means to me that HDMI will not be output to a second zone... which is why I need to read the manual.
- Jason

·
Premium Member
90,432 Posts
I am looking for a recommendation for an AV Receiver that will output audio to a zone 2, even when the original audio source is digital.

My current receiver will not output audio to a zone 2 unless the source audio is analog.

My budget is about $1000, and I like Onkyo... but not married to that brand.
The Denon X3100W can output both HDMI and digital to Zone 2. Denon has currently lowered the MSRP on this AVR through March 21.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Which output and input do you want? It can be tricky.

There are basically 4 types of inputs now: HDMI, optical, analog, streaming. All 4 might be treated differently for Zone2 output. Some devices have HDMI output for Zone2, those are usually the best bet, they have the most functionality.

I believe the current Denon lineup, starting at the X3100 and going up, allows for HDMI or analog Zone2 output. The HDMI can play from any of those 4 sources, but the analog output cannot play from an HDMI source. Older generations (the 4520 is two gens older) may have different capabilities.

I wouldn't be swayed too much by that ethernet switch built into the 4520. That is an amazing receiver, but that feature isn't all that much. It's just a switch, not any sort of special ethernet input. And 10/100 switches are less than $10.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The attached diagram is what I am trying to accomplish.
We stream audio from the following sources: TiVo, Xbox, and Roku (all of which route into the receiver via HDMI).

The Sonos Connect has analog audio inputs as well as a digital audio output.
The idea here is that I will be able to route the audio from those three HDMI sources into the Sonos Connect via its Analog Audio inputs... then out to the other rooms in my home.

Sonos makes a home theatre system, but I would prefer to keep my Home Theatre experience powered by a receiver and wired speakers.
Just looking to extend the central entertainment system into other rooms with Sonos.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.
I hope the diagram helps communicate my intentions.

- Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
That won't happen, unfortunately. Your best bet is probably a receiver like we've mentioned, the X3100 or better. Use Zone2 HDMI output, then run that through a box that can convert it to analog. Like this. Or here's a simpler one.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well, the Denon X3100 is *supposed* to be able to do this, but I can't get mine to do it. Here's the "magic" setting that is supposed to allow this:

But despite this setting, my Zone 2 analog pre-outs are dead silent regardless of which HDMI source I pick for Zone 2. (they all work just fine in Zone 1)

I just posted about this issue in the official Denon AVR thread that covers the X3100. Here's a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...model-owner-s-thread-faq-95.html#post32631201

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Spiky,

Looks like that device passes the HDMI signal through while scraping the audio off to the 3.5 mm jack.
Now, if only my current system would output both aud/vid to HDMI WHILE AT THE SAME TIME sending that signal to my wired surround speakers...

... which I am pretty sure it does not.
- Jason

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Spiky
So, I was playing around with some of my Onkyo settings and this is what I found:
If I set the HDMI Control (RIHD) to "On" the Onkyo will send the Audio/Video signal over HDMI to my TV while at the same time sending the Audio signal to my wired surround speakers.

At this point, I am able to use my TV Audio Out RCA (L/R) to scrape the audio from the TV.

I should be able to connect the TV RCA Audio Out to the Sonos Connect RCA Audio In, allowing me to accomplish my goal.

I don't know much about RIHD, so I'm not sure if there is any drawback to doing this.
Any thoughts?
@pclausen
I'm glad you figured it out!

- Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
One of the typical drawbacks with the HDMI Control features is sound might be reduced to Stereo only. You'd both have to check into that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts