AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my outdoor Zone 2 setup and cannot find a clean, clear solution of how to do so. I have a good idea of what needs to be done, but want to run my proposed setup by a more experienced AV community before buying something that won't work.

Existing AV Receiver & Outdoor Speakers: Onkyo TX-NR676 with Zone 2 Speaker-level outputs going to 2 Yamaha outdoor speakers.

Proposed Subwoofer: Dayton Audio IOSUB (RMS 150-watt @ 4-Ohm)
Proposed Amp: Fosi MO-3 (RMS 150-watt @ 4 Ohm)

I'm hoping that I can run the Zone 2 Line Out RCAs to the Amp, and then speaker wire to the Sub. However, I'm not sure I can control the volume of the Zone 2 Speaker-level outputs AND Zone 2 Line Out RCAs with the Receiver's volume control at the same time, OR that I would even get signal on both at the same time anyway (Onkyo's manual mentions using either Speaker-level outputs OR Line Out RCAs, but not both at the same time. It also mentions that volume using the Line Out RCAs would need to be controlled by the device - the amp).

IF I can't use the Zone 2 Line Out RCAs, then my thought was to use speaker-wire-to-RCA converter cables to connect to the Zone 2 Speaker-level outputs. In which case I would need to hook into both Left and Right positive (red) and negative (black) speaker wires in order to obtain a mono-signal, correct? Also, wouldn't this decrease the power going to the outdoor Yamaha speakers?

Ideally, I'm looking for a low-budget solution to add bass to my outdoor setup, and to be able to control the sub's volume along with the speaker's volume (much like adding subwoofers to your car). I'll be able to "dial-in" the sub's frequency and base volume with the amp, allowing me to "set it and forget it".

If anyone has had a similar experience, sees any fault with my proposed idea, or has any insight - I'm happy to hear.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
which onkyo model do you have? and you should be looking at the IOSUB2. a typical audiosource ( amp100vs) outboard amp will do the trick. you should be able to control the volume via the onkyo.

what I have done in my backyard, and might work for you is I use the 8" omni speakers (TIC gs-3 - dayton has an equivalent) as well as a couple of " regular" outdoor speakers ( advent) . you may be surprised at the low end the omni. I have the omni down low against a cinderblock wall on one side of the backyard and the advents against the house (on stands) so that the sound is directed towards the middle of the yard.

The amp100vs and its ilk have A+B speaker outputs. hang a pair of the GS-3 on A and pair of outdoor rated speaker on B...

be sure to check out ebay for multichannel amps - you can find great deals on used russound/crestron/sherbourne amps.

also, if you are not using a music-over-wifi for zone source control, you should think about it. Sonos is the gold standard ($$). HEOS close second, play-fi or Dayton's hi-fly are viable solutions as well but more budget friendly.

hope it helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, smithsabom.

I typically use Apple Airplay to run iTunes to Zone 2 while we're out on the deck - if that makes any difference at all. I've found that the Onkyo's Zone 2 is a bit flat compared to the Pioneer Receiver I used to have (that burned out), and Onkyo doesn't offer much to adjust Zone 2 levels - hence the need to add some low-end.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR676, which has Speaker-level outputs for Zone 2, as well as Line Out RCAs for Zone 2.

Although I have not been able to test it yet, I'm not sure if I can use BOTH Speaker-level and Line Out RCAs at the same time. As well as control the volume for BOTH via the Onkyo receiver.

Ideally, this would be the easiest solution IF I can control BOTH outputs working at the same time:
Receiver > Zone 2 Speaker-level outputs > Outdoor Speakers (current setup)
Receiver > Zone 2 Line Out RCAs > Amplifier > Passive Subwoofer (new addition)

It appears that the Dayton IOSUB2 is near identical to the IOSUB, but features an internal crossover so that I can run the "satellite" speakers from the sub rather than directly from the Receiver. In which case the connection would look like:
Receiver > Amplifier > Subwoofer > Outdoor Speakers

This could work as well, but it may limit my ability to adjust the subwoofer's frequency and volume on the amp without messing with the Outdoor Speakers, correct?

I may just need to bite the bullet, order the components, and just try it out. If it doesn't work - hope for a good return policy!

Thanks again, and if there is more insight out there - let me know!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Thanks for the reply, smithsabom.

I typically use Apple Airplay to run iTunes to Zone 2 while we're out on the deck - if that makes any difference at all. I've found that the Onkyo's Zone 2 is a bit flat compared to the Pioneer Receiver I used to have (that burned out), and Onkyo doesn't offer much to adjust Zone 2 levels - hence the need to add some low-end.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR676, which has Speaker-level outputs for Zone 2, as well as Line Out RCAs for Zone 2.

Although I have not been able to test it yet, I'm not sure if I can use BOTH Speaker-level and Line Out RCAs at the same time. As well as control the volume for BOTH via the Onkyo receiver.

Ideally, this would be the easiest solution IF I can control BOTH outputs working at the same time:
Receiver > Zone 2 Speaker-level outputs > Outdoor Speakers (current setup)
Receiver > Zone 2 Line Out RCAs > Amplifier > Passive Subwoofer (new addition)

It appears that the Dayton IOSUB2 is near identical to the IOSUB, but features an internal crossover so that I can run the "satellite" speakers from the sub rather than directly from the Receiver. In which case the connection would look like:
Receiver > Amplifier > Subwoofer > Outdoor Speakers

This could work as well, but it may limit my ability to adjust the subwoofer's frequency and volume on the amp without messing with the Outdoor Speakers, correct?

I may just need to bite the bullet, order the components, and just try it out. If it doesn't work - hope for a good return policy!

Thanks again, and if there is more insight out there - let me know!
a couple of things:

you should be able to use both the inboard amps, as well as the zone 2 pre-outs (*should** I have done this with my Denon) although you may not have to

what are your outdoor speakers?

If anything, get just the ISOSUB2 and put them in line with the speaker out puts and run the current outdoor speakers off of the sub terminals and see how it sounds.

There are other outdoor subs, some are not so pricey. some are VERY pricey. check out monoprice for a burial passive sub ( https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31035)
on sale for 159. claims to get down to 39 hz, but is not very sensitive at 82 db. but it also supports satellites.

also check out outdoorspeakerdepot.com ( https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com...r-in-ground-subwoofer-crossover-omsub200.html) for another passive sub.

they have a 12" burial model as well ( https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/12-500w-in-ground-subwoofer-outdoor-speaker-depot.html)

but spec-wise check out their 8" outdoorspeaker ( https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/ap850-8-outdoor-patio-speakers-outdoor-speaker-depot.html) 250/pr and a claimed low end of 33 hz, but with a 90 db sensitivity...

good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for your help, smithsabon.

I have a couple of Yamaha NS-AW150's outside - 120W Max / 6 Ohm.

2 reasons I'm concerned with running sub directly off of the AVR - 1: The Onkyo Zone 2 signal seems flat (no ability to adjust tone in Zone 2), and banking on the sub's crossover for frequency and volume (without being able to control it) may not allow for best results. 2: I've heard mixed reports on running passive subs direct from the AVR - some "okay", others "meh / underwhelming", all to say that a passive sub really needs more power than the AVR can provide.

I was able to test a set of bookshelf speaker on the Line Out RCAs AND the Speaker-level Outputs. Although the RCA's DID provide a signal, it was very weak and was NOT controlled by the Zone 2 volume - bummer.

My plan is to split the Speaker-level outputs between the Outdoor Speakers and Amp:
Receiver > Zone 2 Speaker-level outputs > Outdoor Speakers
Receiver > Zone 2 Speaker-level outputs > Amp > Passive Subwoofer

Only downside I see is that it may rob some wattage going to the Outdoor Speakers - right? Is there any reason this WOULDN'T work?

If I find that this new setup under-powers the Outdoor Speakers, I could try a 2.1 channel amp and run both Outdoor Speakers & Sub through the amp...

Anyway, thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts