AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found this forum after desperately browsing amazon/google for a list of low-mid entry receivers that support zone 2. I had almost pulled the trigger on the Pioneer VSX-519V-K but realized the Zone 2 was just a pre-out.

I have a 5.1 speaker set, and I want to hook 2 more speakers for a Zone 2. What are my options, I don't really need the "latest thing", and I will be using analog audio for my Zone 2.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Make sure the AVR is a 7.1, the surround back channel L/R amplifiers power Zone II..

Just my $0.02...

·
The Village Idiot
9,560 Posts
Most do - some do not.

Look for something like the Onkyo 608 - it has powered zone II and is in the same budget area as that Pioneer.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaber /forum/post/20927752

Thanks, so you're saying that almost any 7.1 have zone 2 nowadays?

Most step-up 7.1 AVRs have the powered Zone II options. The entry level AVRs typically are only 5.1, but if it is 7.1...

Usually they don't include Zone II capability in the entry level models...

Just my $0.02..

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaber /forum/post/20927752

Thanks, so you're saying that almost any 7.1 have zone 2 nowadays?

Most receivers sold for $300 and above have 7 amp channels built in and/or have preamp out to external amp for zone 2. Moving up to the next level 9 amps and 7.1 main zone + internally powered stereo zone 2 costs lots more money. So it shouldn't cost that much for what you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help.

So the Pioneer VSX-1020 seems to be a good choice, and I could get a used/refurbished one for under 300. (I assume people buy the 1021 now that 1020 is discontinued)

Some neighbourg is selling his Yamaha RX-V663 for 300$, but this deal doesn't sound as apealing as the Pioneer.

The Onkyo SR508 also seems perfect.

Any preference between all three? Pioneer seems to output 110 watts per channel compared to the Onkyo's 80 watts...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts