AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(excuse if this is long winded but noob here)

I bought a Onkyo TX-SR 606 recently and love the sound in the room. I also was able to connect the zone 2 output to the existing wiring that the home had to the external speakers near the deck. (This wiring goes from under the crawl space to the outside and has not been used for about 5 years since my previous receiver did not have 2 Zone capability)

Now I connected some 4ohm computer speakers and my surround speaker to the external spot but detect no sound or noise when I turn on Zone 2. I have setup the Zone 2 to activate the powered output in the receiver. when I connect the same speakers to the receiver directly , I do get the output. Now I checked using a multimeter for continuity of the existing wiring (by shorting the wires behind the receiver ) outside the house and I saw a reading of around 5 (ohms I am thinking).

Questions are

1. Is it because of the resistance in the wiring that there is no sound or ?

2. What do I try next or is rewiring the external wires the only option - If it is then what kind of wires are suggested for doing this ( the area is seattle so the wiring will be exposed to lot of wet conditions)

·
Registered
955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_br /forum/post/15520181

(excuse if this is long winded but noob here)

I bought a Onkyo TX-SR 606 recently and love the sound in the room. I also was able to connect the zone 2 output to the existing wiring that the home had to the external speakers near the deck. (This wiring goes from under the crawl space to the outside and has not been used for about 5 years since my previous receiver did not have 2 Zone capability)

Now I connected some 4ohm computer speakers and my surround speaker to the external spot but detect no sound or noise when I turn on Zone 2. I have setup the Zone 2 to activate the powered output in the receiver. when I connect the same speakers to the receiver directly , I do get the output. Now I checked using a multimeter for continuity of the existing wiring (by shorting the wires behind the receiver ) outside the house and I saw a reading of around 5 (ohms I am thinking).

Questions are

1. Is it because of the resistance in the wiring that there is no sound or ?

2. What do I try next or is rewiring the external wires the only option - If it is then what kind of wires are suggested for doing this ( the area is seattle so the wiring will be exposed to lot of wet conditions)

What source are you trying to play in Zone 2? Most receivers will only pass analog sources to Zones 2/3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VCR/DVR , maybe it was missed in the long post but connecting the speaker to the zone 2 output directly on the receiver renders the sound.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Onkyo 606 will only send analogue inputted signal to zone 2.

If you are selecting a digital input (potical / HDMI, etc), then zone 2 will not work as stated in the manual.

The way around this is to run standard analogue AV leads as well as a digital connection to the amp and plug the analogue AV leads into something not in use like CD or Tape. Then select that for zone 2.

It took me about 2 weeks to work the exact same issue out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts