AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on picking up an Onkyo 609/360 in the next week or so for my HT and hope to use the Zone 2 out to push another two pair of speakers (one in my kitchen and another outside on the deck).

The 609 doesn't allow you to run a full 7.1 (which I'll be using in my new HT) AND push Zone 2 speakers. Either I give up my surround backs pair or purchase a dedicated Zone 2 amp.

If I give up the Surround Backs and use the line level then the only reasonable solution I came up with was purchasing a speaker selector and using that to choose which of the Zone 2 pairs I was going to use, if not both. But with it being an Onkyo, I worry about impedence issues and over cooking the receiver.

I've also considered a second, Zone 2 only, amp but the volume controls will be hard to reach and not as integrated into the initial AVR amp that will have a Droid app controlling it.

Any suggestions on home wiring and how to integrate this my Zone 2 speakers into this? Are there wall switches that could help?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Check out partsexpress.com or amazon for impedance matching speaker selectors/switches and wall mount volume controls.

I run 3 pair (deck, patio & driveway) off of zone 2 and had to use an external 2 ch amp (ONKYO M282) and speaker switch because my ONKYO (TX-NR3007) couldn't run my 7.1 system and zone 2 very well at the same time. I bought a high-end speaker selector by ATON with RF remote to control volume as well as mute/on/off.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Will you need the same sources for your HT and whole-house/'zone 2' speakers?

You could use any AVR to provide 'zone 2', maybe another AVR that can be controlled from a droid app.

Control can be problemetic for a single AVR driving a HT and whole-house audio. Separating them completely removes that issue.

I lived for a couple years with my a cheap old AVR providing whole-house audio, but I only listened to a single FM station at that time. Now, though, I'm spoiled by Pandora and internet radio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.