AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An a/v dealer I know asked me if I have had any problems using my skyworth dvd player with newer movies. He had heard that the powers that be are including new software on dvd movies that prevents region 0 players from playing anything.

As I no longer have my skyworth, has anyone else had a problem or heard this.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have 3 region free players and none of them will play an RCE disc unless I manually switch the region to 1. If your player is auto only and does not allow manual setting of regions you are not going to be able to play RCE discs.

Bob H.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not quite the answer...but Charlie's Angels is a RCE encoded disc.

I don't remember if it said so on the package. It had been so long since I'd fooled with the settings, I had to dig out the manual for my player to figure out how to switch from R0 to R1!

·
Registered
271 Posts
As i understand it rce encoding works by asking the player if it can play the region its from, say 1. Then asking the player if it can play an additional region, say 2. Some players go around this by manual switching. A better way to do this is to only answer yes the first time and on following attempts say no.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT HUNZEKER
Final Fantasy is an RCE and on the back of the booklet in tiny tiny writing it says "Warning this disc is copy protected".

Bob H.
I rented Final Fantasy a few nights ago, and it played fine on my Skyworth--I observed nothing unusual at all.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Most Region 0 players now have work arounds to play RCE disks. On my Toshiba I have to insert the disk and press STOP before it gets to the WMOD (World Map Of Death !!) I then go into the *Time* screen and tell it to start playing at 1 sec into the movie and away we go. :) But of course I can't get to the extras at all. :(

BTW - all DVD players sold in Singapore are Region 0.

Other brands have different work arounds. Some (Pioneer I think) have no trouble at all with RCE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.