AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about hooking up a whole house audio system to a receiver... in the process of doing research I noticed some receivers have multiple zones. Can you get the zones to all play at the same time? or are they independent of each other?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Each zone allow independent source selection, but you can choose the same source as the main zone if you want to.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
You don't necessarily need an AVR with on board multiple zones if you want to play the same source as is in the main zone throughout the house, rather you can use an impedance matching speaker selector . This can be connected to an AVR's "B" speaker jacks, Zone 2 jacks, or to an external inexensive stereo amp that would be connected to the AVRs Zone 2 pre-out jacks.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18298221

You don't necessarily need an AVR with on board multiple zones if you want to play the same source as is in the main zone throughout the house, rather you can use an impedance matching speaker selector . This can be connected to an AVR's "B" speaker jacks, Zone 2 jacks, or to an external inexensive stereo amp that would be connected to the AVRs Zone 2 pre-out jacks.

I want to make sure I understand exactly what a speaker selector does and how it works.

Is the following what you do to use one? (1) Connect an output pair from your "B" jacks, Zone 2 jacks or amp to a single input pair on the speaker selector; (2) Run speaker wire to speakers from each of the output pairs (up to 8 total pairs) on the speaker selector; (3) Select on the speaker selector which of the 8 output pairs are "on" and which are "off"; (4) Enjoy.

The one in the link appears to have 8 manual buttons on the front - are these just manual toggle buttons (i.e., press the button and the output associated with the button switches between the on and off state)?

Is it powered (i.e., is there a power cord you have to run from the speaker selector to a wall outlet)?

Does it respond to a remote control (i.e., could I set up a Logitech Harmony remote to select which outputs to turn on)?

Does it provide some indication (e.g., LEDs) that indicate which of the 8 outputs are turned on or off?

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
That was just one example of one as there are various kinds some of which I'm sure have LEDs and/or some remote control capability. It is not powered, rather simply acts as a "switch" to select various speaker sets connected to it using the buttons on the front. However, it is wired such that there are no impedance issues you'd normally have with connecting speakers in either parallel or serially.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks - that's what I figured.

I've been looking at getting a 3 zone AVR (1- family room, 2 - living room, 3 - back deck) such as a Pioneer VSX-23. Seems to me now that I think about it, I'd be perfectly content with a 2 zone AVR like the Pioneer 1019 or 1020 and a speaker selector to feed the 3rd zone whatever is in the 2nd zone. It'd be a rare situation where we'd want to listen to something different on the back deck from the living room.

Then I could also wire speakers to other rooms if I ever felt the urge (and I just might at some point).

I guess I just need to satisfy myself whatever AVR I get has enough juice to feed multiple speakers - I assume if you're powering several sets of speakers, you'll get weaker output, and potentially some sound quality degradation.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
At average volume, likely not as AVRs only use about 5W when fully powering a 5.1 setup. Although ideally, using a separate external stereo amp would certainly solve any problem if additional power was required.

Although certainly more expensive then what I suggested, this is more likely what you are looking for as it has LED and a remote control.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18301066

At average volume, likely not as AVRs only use about 5W when fully powering a 5.1 setup. Although ideally, using a separate external stereo amp would certainly solve any problem if additional power was required.

Yeah, I'm not really that worried about it. We're not the stereo-crankin' types (at least not any more :)), and the back deck isn't exactly an environment for discerning listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18301066

Although certainly more expensive then what I suggested, this is more likely what you are looking for as it has LED and a remote control.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the original one you linked would be just fine. It's not exactly rocket science figuring out which speakers are on (ummm ... the ones you can hear?), and I don't think we really need speaker selector remote capability. (Might be nice to, say, use mute from the back deck, but we can do that just as easily by controlling the AVR - if the 2nd zone mutes too, so be it. Might need to upgrade to RF of course if we want to be able to do that, but we'd have to do that anyway.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information guys. So I really do not need to spend a bunch of extra money getting a receiver with zone 3. I can just use the switch selector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts