AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search and can't find an answer to how to solve this. My channel guide has run out of data, there are no 'failed to connect' type messages on the messages page.


I went into setup and changed the cable service to force the Showstopper 2000 to connect to the replaytv service. Got a "Can not authorize connection" message.


Did a Zones 243 and tried to force a net connect and got "problem transferring information from ReplayTV service" error.


Can anyone help? I'm using Mikeyboy's Showstopper image. Thanks.


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
What software version does it show in 411-zones? You might need an updated drive image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply,


It says it is ReaplayTV Software Version 3.0 - Build 202 (Release)

Built on Feb 7 2002 at 10:39:41



Does that help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is the newest version of software. Tell me about the problem a little more. Did the unit work correctly after the drive was imaged and this problem just came out of the blue? It is odd that you received an unable to authorize connection message. There were no messages in your Replay identifying a problem connecting. You did exactly what I would do with the connect to mothership so to speak. I would try this again at night and see if it changes your result.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
"Unable to Authorize" message is popping up a lot lately on legacy recorders. Earthlink has discontinued many local access numbers recently. Chances are you're dialing a non functional Earthlink number. Replay is working on correcting the problem.


You should try selecting a different local number. You can update your list of local numbers by going into Change Telephone and delete ZIPCODE by pressing "stop". Press the LEFT ARROW and go back one screen, then press SELECT to advance to the zipcode screen again (these steps are necessary for the replay logic to accept there is a zipcode change and dial in). Enter the correct zipcode and KEEP CHANGES on exit.


Another thing you can do is research your Earthlink local number at http://support.earthlink.net/support/ACCESS/ and manually enter the full 11 digits into the phone prefix screen as seen in the attachment. If you have call waiting *70,1xxxxxxxxxx Your replay will call this number from then on.


Other things to keep in mind. It appears (at least in my area) reducing modem speed to 33.6 is becoming a necessity to enable connection. The modem speed panel is accessed by pressing "zones" while in the phone prefix screen. Change it from default to 33.6. Lastly local dialup requirements are ever changing. I'm in the habit of selecting the full 1 XXX XXX XXXX dial out method in setup even for local calls just to be safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Because these local numbers change, you can force the ReplayTV to call the 800# and get an updated list of numbers. But, the most common solution to the problem you describe is to choose a different phone number.


Here's how to force the box to get a new list of numbers....


1. Press "Menu" on the ReplayTV remote



2. Select "Setup" and press "Select" on the remote



3. Select "Change Dialing & Input Settings" and press "Select" on the remote



4. Select "Change Telephone" and press "Select" on the remote



5. Verify that your phone number is correct in the "Telephone Connection" page and press select



6. At this point you will be viewing the "Zip Code" page in setup. Press the "Stop" button on the remote and your five digit zip code should clear.



7. Select the left cursor button on the remote and return to the "Telephone Connection" Page.



8. Press the select button on the remote to return to the "Zip Code" page. Re-enter your five digit zip code and then press the select button.



9. At this point, the ReplayTV/Showstopper should dial out to obtain new "ReplayTV Service Numbers".



10. Select a toll free number (if available) from the new list of numbers and press select on the remote.



11. Select the correct dialing method and press select on the remote.



12. Select "Keep all Settings" and press "Select" on the remote


Then, press 243 + zones, and force a connection with the new number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your help. It looks like I was a victim of a discontinued number. I thought this might be the case, so I called the number with my phone. But I heard all the modem tones when I did so I assumed that it was still a valid number. When I forced it to download new phone numbers, the one i had been using was no longer on the list. I guess that's it. Weird that they don't have a way of communicating discontinued numbers to their customers............


Thanks again!


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
I have a very similar problem to antmarching. When using my local #, I hear the modem trying to connect, but it never does, then displays "problem when transferring information...will try to connect later".

No successful connections for 5 days. I updated my phone # list , and my local # is still there.


I selected a long distance #, and the connection went smoothly but $$$$$, for long distance.


Who should I address the problem with my local # toward. Replay or Earthlink??


Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mossie
I have a very similar problem to antmarching. When using my local #, I hear the modem trying to connect, but it never does, then displays "problem when transferring information...will try to connect later".

No successful connections for 5 days. I updated my phone # list , and my local # is still there.


I selected a long distance #, and the connection went smoothly but $$$$$, for long distance.


Who should I address the problem with my local # toward. Replay or Earthlink??


Any suggestions?
Try lowering your modem speed. As a quick test, reboot by pulling the

plug, if 243-zones net connect works, lowering the modem speed will

almost for sure workaround the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by antmarching
Weird that they don't have a way of communicating discontinued numbers to their customers............
Be careful what you wish for :) We used to get non-stop messages

every day saying "The numbers have changed"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
Try lowering your modem speed. As a quick test, reboot by pulling the

plug, if 243-zones net connect works, lowering the modem speed will

almost for sure workaround the problem.
Already tried that ....powered down unplugged the SS, pluged back up, changed modem speed all the way down to 9600. Force a net connect, it pings, pongs, dings, and dongs, for about 30 seconds, then it displays "problem when transferring information...will try to connect later".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Thans Mikeyboy, but I had no luck with that either. All 11 #s gave me "I'm sorry you do not need to dial the 1 & area code for that #.


I put in the 7 #s in the prefix with pauses at the end, so that it will attempt to connect before it dials the number off the list. I don't get the normal connecting tones I usually hear. Theres a few single pitch tones at defferent frequencies, then it drops the connection.


My problem just apprears to be with the one #, which is my only local one on the list.



Who should I contact to inform that the local number is not working?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mossie
Thans Mikeyboy, but I had no luck with that either. All 11 #s gave me "I'm sorry you do not need to dial the 1 & area code for that #.


I put in the 7 #s in the prefix with pauses at the end, so that it will attempt to connect before it dials the number off the list. I don't get the normal connecting tones I usually hear. Theres a few single pitch tones at defferent frequencies, then it drops the connection.


My problem just apprears to be with the one #, which is my only local one on the list.



Who should I contact to inform that the local number is not working?
Sorry, I didn't see your post. I hope your recorder is connecting by now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Thanks for this info, I just bought an older SS 2000 (S/N begins with an E), and I was getting no love trying to connect during lunchtime, but with the info above, I hope to get my connect problem resolved this afternoon after work. I didn't have this problem with another SS 2000 (S/N beings with a F), but it was a unit that had been in use for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Hasn't been for 10 days now. Course all the long distance ones work fine. I called Panasonic this morning, they're supposed to call back withing 2-3 days.:(


Not sure why the need to call me back. All I wanted was just to alert who ever needs to be alerted, that my local # isn't working, to see if it can be corrected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I'm confused too... My week-old 5080 is hooked in through a cable modem and can't seem to connect to the ReplayTV servers. I'm gonna run out of Channel Guide listings in a few days...


I've tried forcing a manual connection through 243-Zone, but no luck.


Anyone have any suggestions?


-AmoebaMan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AmoebaMan
I'm confused too... My week-old 5080 is hooked in through a cable modem and can't seem to connect to the ReplayTV servers. I'm gonna run out of Channel Guide listings in a few days...


I've tried forcing a manual connection through 243-Zone, but no luck.


Anyone have any suggestions?


-AmoebaMan
are you using the automatic settings or did you manuall assign it an ip address ??
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top