AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting the new Toshiba 36HF73. I noticed on the spec sheet that this set has a zoom feature. So I emailed Toshiba to ask what this was and they said that it expands and crops a 16:9 image to fill the 4:3 screen. That's all fine and dandy, but will it do it on HD material? From what I understand, the set has vertical compression, so that it's only scanning in the 16:9 image space, not above and below it. Will the zoom work here??? If anybody has this set, let me know. That would be a nice feature to have if you are viewing upconverted 4:3 material on an HD broadcast (to get rid of the window box).

Squid

· Registered
12 Posts
Squid,

I'll speak about my experience with a 36HFX73 that I purchased last weekend. There are three "picture size" settings. Normal mode squishes 16:9 images to fit the 4:3 format(skinny people). The compressed mode displays a 16:9 image in a letterbox as expected or squashes an SD picture(fat people). The raster is actually compressed so that the top and bottom of the letterbox are empty of electrons. This way you don't lose resolution. The Zoom mode blows up an image to 1.5 times the normal size. I cant get zoom mode to work with an HDTV feed. It only works when displaying SD format.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by AFoulk
I cant get zoom mode to work with an HDTV feed. It only works when displaying SD format.
Thanks, that's what I figured. Seems kinda pointless to me though. You don't really need a zoom mode for SD. It would be so much better if it worked in HD.

· Registered
139 Posts
Question: You said that "Normal" mode stretches a 16:9 image to fill the full 4:3 A/R of the entire screen, correct? Making people look "tall and skinny", I am assuming.

Does THIS feature work with HD signals?

Also does this set have DVI input? If both questions are a "yes", then one of these sets will definitely be added to my "considering" list. ;)

· Registered
12 Posts
Yes, The NORMAL picture mode stretches an HDTV widescreen source to fill the 4:3 format. I use it to reformat ESPNHD SD programs. Yes, the Toshiba 36HF73 and 36HFX73 have a DVI/HDCP connector.

· Registered
139 Posts
Interesting! :D

Does anyone know if there is a place much like ElectronicsNation.com, only for Toshiba sets instead of Philips?

That would get my blood flowing, really quick-like! :)

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by AFoulk
Yes, The NORMAL picture mode stretches an HDTV widescreen source to fill the 4:3 format. I use it to reformat ESPNHD SD programs.
Now I'm confused. Does the NORMAL mode strectch vertical, or both horizontal and vertical? And what do you mean by reformat ESPNHD SD programs?

· Registered
12 Posts
The NORMAL mode will stretch 16:9 programming vertically to fill the 4:3 screen. ESPNHD stretches SD programming horizontally. By using the NORMAL mode I can bring this material close to its original format. After all the re-formatting I find the picture still looks better than the same material delivered via normal ESPN.

· Registered
139 Posts
Looking over the spec sheets I saw that these sets do 1080i or 540p. I've read a few other threads about this, and they said that the set upconverts 480p to 540p, and that it does a good job of it.

My question: What about 720p? Does the set downconvert this to 540p, or 1080i? Or, does it even accept 720p signals at all?

Question about refurb still stands, if anyone knows of a good place, as well. :D

· Registered
58 Posts
I believe it accepts 720p and upconverts to 1080i. I plan to purchase this set, too.

Keep in mind that there is also a "Cinema Series" model that runs about $200 more. This model has an upgraded video amplifier and virtual Dolby 5.1... not sure if its worth it... some people seem to think that the upgraded video signal is not needed, as the base amp already provides more bandwidth than the screen can display. Typically, that feature may benefit rear-projection CRTs, but not direct view in cases like this.

Can anyone address the above?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.