Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal.

I recently purchased the RCA 52" rear projection HDTV. Wasn't too impressed with picture quality, until I purchased a DVI cable and hooked up my Comcast HD digital cable box to the television using the DVI input. WOW. HD channels look amazing now, and even the regular channels look much better.

Only problem...when the TV is in DVI input mode, the zoom function doesn't work. I can't change the screen format from widescreen to cinerama to 4:3 to 16:9 etc etc. I'm worried about screen burn-in, because most of the channels are coming through in 4:3 aspect ratio with vertical black bars on the left and right, and since the zoom function isn't working, I can't expand the picture to fill the entire screen. The only thing that fills the whole screen are the HD channels broadcasting in 16x9 (like Discovery HD and some ESPNHD broadcasts).

Anyways, this is annoying. Does anyone have a clue as to why the zoom function stops working when the TV is set to the DVI input mode? Or does the DVI input completely eliminate the ability to expand the picture?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind...I just figured it out! Had to go into the Setup menu on my HD box and fiddle with the 4:3 override. Now the picture is stretched automatically on the non-HD channels.

Sweet!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Just to complete your question, the set you have is unable to scale video over the DVI input -- as you found out, you need to scale it via the video source prior to inputting it to the set.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.