AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Framing of my first theater room is almost done.
I need to decide if I'll be using a 2.35 screen or 16:9. Room is 20 depth x 15 wide. First row at 13' which gives me a 123" screen.

How easy is it to use the zoom method with the RS40? Is it something my non-techy wife can do? Do I have to adjust the focus and lens shift every time? If so, I think I'll get tired of switching between ratios after a while... My movies are mostly 2.35 but I plan to watch as much 16:9 HD cable on it.

Either ratio screen are available with 40' radial MAX curvature. This looks interesting but does it complicate my setup? Both of my seating rows are straight and are 100" wide centered in the room.

Now I have to secure the ceiling for where the RS40 bracket will hang. I'll be using whisper clips with two 5/8 and GG. Simple plywood on top of the sheetrock should be good for the 32lbs projector? I don't want to screw the bracket in the joist to keep it decoupled.

Calculations (based on the HD990) comes up to mount it between 12'-25' with the middle at 16'. Since the RS40 vents at the front then should I mount it at 12' so the hot air from front exhaust doesn't bother me at the first row?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but if you send your RS40 directly to me, I'm sure I can figure it out for you even if it takes a while.
Lucky!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
A curved screen is only advised if using an anamorphic lens - would just make things worse if using the zoom method. I know, complicates things if you're planning on starting with zoom and then adding a lens later.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Do you lose brightness when you use zoom? Any way around that?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaico /forum/post/19607655

Do you lose brightness when you use zoom? Any way around that?

- when using the zoom method vs a lens, it will be somewhat (25% ish) less bright because with a lens the whole panel displays the image

- for any given screen size, using a closer projection distance maximizes light output

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/19607641

A curved screen is only advised if using an anamorphic lens - would just make things worse if using the zoom method. I know, complicates things if you're planning on starting with zoom and then adding a lens later.

I though that most curve screen was more then 40' radial. Hence I was told it works well without lens...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.