AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have still been trying to figure out whether the mics on my TM700 picked up any zoom noise when doing a fast zoom. There's definitely a 'sliding' sound that can be heard in a quiet room on my TM900 by both the mics and my ears. In a not so quiet room it's not at all noticeable

Do your camcorders have any kind of a zoom noise?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Huntley /forum/post/20773361

Have still been trying to figure out whether the mics on my TM700 picked up any zoom noise when doing a fast zoom. There's definitely a 'sliding' sound that can be heard in a quiet room on my TM900 by both the mics and my ears. In a not so quiet room it's not at all noticeable

I have not noticed any on my HDC-SDT750. Is there a specific test you would like me to try?

Bill

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague
I have not noticed any on my HDC-SDT750. Is there a specific test you would like me to try?

Bill
Oooo that would be appreciated. Perhaps in a really quiet room you could do a fast zoom to 12x and then back to 1x, in IA mode?

I can actually feel the zoom through the body when I do a fast zoom, maybe it's because of the added plastic on the TM900. I just can't remember that to be the case on my tm700

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Huntley
I don't, but it's just more a case of me wondering whether this is normal or not for this cam
My old Sony DVCAM was a prosumer camera and you could hear the tape drive running in your videos. The zoom made noise too. External MIC eliminated it. My TM90 makes way less noise. Can you hear the fan on your TM900?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwc09 /forum/post/20777876

Yes, I can hear a zoom in/ out noises with the on board mic if filming in a quiet room.

External mic would solve this issue.

Quite strange that the TM700 i had didn't have any zoom noise whatsoever.

It's a shame that manufacturers seem to be 'cheapening' their products to cut costs

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Huntley /forum/post/20776912

Oooo that would be appreciated. Perhaps in a really quiet room you could do a fast zoom to 12x and then back to 1x, in IA mode?

I can actually feel the zoom through the body when I do a fast zoom, maybe it's because of the added plastic on the TM900. I just can't remember that to be the case on my tm700

I went to an interior bathroom, closed the doors and zoomed rapidly in and out 5 times on a bar of soap. I was in full auto mode. For playback, I pulled the SD card, inserted it in my computer, plugged in full size headphones and played back with Window Media Player at high volume. I heard no mechanical noises from the zoom. I did breath once, which, at full volume, was pretty loud! With nothing but CFL lighting the color of the olive green bar of soap was spot on!

In four months of shooting, I'm not heard a fan either. I also think the low light performance is good. Personal favorites are a recent Vince Gill concert at night at max zoom and a July 4 fireworks show.

Bill

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for testing it out for me Bill.

I have to say that I don't like added plastic on the tm900, I have a feeling that has something to do with the zoom noise. The metallic top on the sdt70/tm700 probably insulates the zoom better

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Huntley /forum/post/20778630

Thanks for testing it out for me Bill.

I have to say that I don't like added plastic on the tm900, I have a feeling that has something to do with the zoom noise. The metallic top on the sdt70/tm700 probably insulates the zoom better

I have the SD900 and haven't detected any zoom noise picked up on the internal mic, but doesn't mean there isn't any, I just haven't noticed it.

We need to be realistic, these are consumer devices, any mechanical action within them can't be completely silent, and a microphone sat in the same plastic shell may pick it up.

Also different camcorders of the same type may be more or less noisy on zoom. Just the simple difference of the location of a blob of grease added at the factory around some sprockets might make a difference. Also a quieter zoom may become more noisy over time, a louder one may become quieter. For the money we pay we can't expect every single one off the production line to be tested to such a level that tiny variations in operation are rejected to ensure everyone is as perfect as it can be. If you want that, you need to pay a lot more.

As for added plastic and the newer models, I doubt that is an issue, as the metal on prior models was just trim stuck on over the plastic, it was purely cosmetic and not functional. In order to reduce costs, that sort of stuff has been removed.

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Huntley /forum/post/20773361

Do you mean when you recording or when you play back the video you can hear the noise?

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
People are getting really demanding. The zoom lens is a mechanical device, so some noise is normal. People either forgot or have not experienced tape drive noise on a tape-based camcorder.

Zoom noise. Fan noise. What about button noise? Do they click too loud? Get an external mic - problem solved.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.