AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people (in this forum) have asked me to add a DVD Trailer(s) feature to Zoom Player.

Before I go about implementing such a feature, I would like to here descriptions of how it should work.

What I currently have in mind as minimum requirements is as follows:

1. The DVD Drive must be specified.

2. A directory (or maybe a play list file?) containing the trailer files must be specified.

And now comes the tricky part...

How many trailers should be seen? Random order? Anything else I'm missing?

If you want this feature to work "your way", make sure you specify it in detail. Give examples, etc...

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Yay! :)

Your minimum requirements are bang on. For #2, I think just point to a directory where the Trailers are.

Have a configurable # of trailers to play, and just choose them randomly from that directory.

One thing to make sure of is to wait for the DVD to be inserted to even start playing the trailers. In my case I have disabled autorun, so for me the trailers shouldnt play until I press 'Play'.

If you want to get *really* fancy, have multiple directories (1 for THX, 1 for Dolby Digital, 1 for Movie Trailers), and a configurable number of trailers to play from each (again, choose randomly).

Thanks!

Andy K.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
For me, The playlist idea would be great. Bonus for randomiser. The last entry in the playlist would be path to the video_ts (DVD). HD or DVD drive specifyable.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I would think that having a grouping idea that allows for priority between groups would be useful. Within a group the order could be static or random. This would allow for things like a showing a common intro followed by random previews and finally a set Dolby Digital or DTS trailer before the movie. Which brings up another point. How about allowing for JPEG display like the trivia slides used in a theater?

It may seem like overkill, but in order to cover all the bases.... ;)

I supposed that the end result in my mind would be a media play list that allows for the user to chose the source media and assign certain properties based on the media type. For example, a static JPEG might have an option for playback duration along with some information about how to scale the image to the display resolution and aspect ratio, maybe even an mp3 file to play while displaying the image. An mpeg object might have information about how to display in the correct aspect ratio, volume, custom overlay video settings.

There is also some usefulness in tying into home automation software. At least sending a message to indicate to other software like Girder that it's time to dim the lights...

To me, the home theater specific features are one of Zoomplayer's strong points. With a few more tweaks it should be ready for prime time. At which point I'm sure Blight has commercial aspirations for all his hard work.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have already implemented a trailer option in the playlists that media-box uses. In fact, it generates zoomplayer playlists and launches zoomplayer on the fly, depending what content you are browsing. Ofcourse, you can also view your collection (review, etc). I'm adding random trailer support too since some users requested it. Ofcourse this is all only helpful if you use it :)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, good feedback, gives me a few things to think about.

JoeFloyd went a bit over the edge though ... no jpeg, sorry... (and there's no trivia in our local theaters, hmmf!)

I guess if i'll go "ALL OUT", I would make a new configuration file structure for this. Allowing you to specify multiple directories, assigning each a value to specify it's strength. Then specify how many random videos to play properly prior to the DVD itself. Then assign random values to each video in each directory, multiplying that by the strength specification AND allowing you to specify a minimum amount of videos per directory!

Woah... Well, that's a thought. It's probably a bit complex to do all that. I'm afraid that such a system would be easily duped and possibly caused to crash, which means I'll have to put in a lot of anti-sillyness code.

As for notifying girder... well, I can throw another code into that LCD communication interface I implemented in the last beta. An "entering DVD Mode" should be enough for a 3rd party program that somehow has control of your lights to turn them off.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Blight,

I haven't used zoom player in a while so I'm not up to date on the features. I was wondering if it is possible to "Bookmark" the start of a movie (similar to the way the TT player does) so one could play the trailer and then jump straight to the start of the movie, rather then to the DVD menu? Is this possible for zoom player to memorize settings for each DVD?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Er, the AutoLoad bookmark feature was in Zoom Player prior to TT... it has been built upon over a few versions, but it was there in v2.00 I believe.

And yes, per-dvd settings are saved.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is such a great idea, we need a bump here. Yes, being able to automatically run a trailer or two wouild be great and would pretty much make this super DVD player complete. Thanks Blight for your tireless and dedicated work.

Bill

·
Registered
259 Posts
Blight,

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be trying out zoom player when the trailer feature is added. Would it (or is it already) possible to use zoom player to trigger other events? For the full effect, I think it would be great if one could use zoom player to send a command through Girder to trigger the projector, screen, lights and curtains.

I can picture pressing "Play" on my remote and

1. The lights dim (but don't go out)

2. The projector is switched to the right aspect ratio for the trailer(s)

3. The screen lowers from the ceiling.

4. The trailer plays

5. The trailer ends and the lights fade to black. The curtains close.

6. The projector switches to the correct AR for the film.

7. The movie starts.

Maybe this is asking too much, but it would be great if it would be possible. Perhaps even another bookmark to flag the end of the movie (credits) so the lights could slowly fade back up?

What do you think?

-James

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ZP already provides a sort of notification interface for LCD displays, this can be used to do all sort of other things. Not sure how it'll work with girder, someone may need to write a talk-between application, should be rather simple.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Blight,

If you don't want to make it too complicated I think may of us would enjoy a simple "Play X number of trailers randomly from directory Y before a movie starts".

What I'd like to see ideally is two options. First one as above for general trailers. Then followed by a second option "Play a sound track specific trailer after general trailers" and then have a configurable directory each for DD and DTS. I'm not sure if you have a way to know what type of sound track will be on the DVD, but maybe you could do it if that DVD has already been bookmarked.

-apnar

·
Registered
437 Posts
Blight,

Gee, I almost hate to ask this but...

It would be really great if we could specify the time the main movie starts, and then have the trailers start in such a manner that they fill between the current time and the time the movie starts.

It would also be great to allow scheduled intermissions of specified lengths at a chapter break or breaks that we specify. At that time an intermission jpg slide could be displayed along with a countdown timer showing the clock and a countdown timer to when the movie starts.

Regards,

Ira

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'd be happy with a "play X random trailers from Y directory" option. As long as I can still specify particular trailers I want in the main playlist as well.

Something like this would be great:

random trailer

random trailer

DD train trailer

personal intro trailer

movie starts (ripped or in dvd drive)

Brian

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, how about a configuration file that looks like this:

PlayTrailer(R,d:\ railers\\movies) // Play Random trailer at directory

PlayTrailer(R,d:\ railers\\DTS) // Play Random DTS trailer

PlayTrailer(S,d:\ railers\\personal\\myintro.avi) // Play Specific trailer

Using a text editor you could easily specify the number of random trailers you want to play, their directories, specific trailers you always want played, etc...

Is that sufficiant?

And sorry micj, doing specific movie times is problematic with DVDs.

As for detecting DTS... some parts of the movie may be DD (trailers, menus) while others may be DTS (actual movie). It's hard to know which is which, and ontop of that, you can only really know AFTER the movie is already playing, so it's a bit of a catch22 issue.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Blight,

That config sturcture sounds great, and I'd be happy with that. Though I'd still like to find a way to play a sound track specific trailer. I realize that there is no way of knowing before you play a disk for the first time, but how about for disks that have already been played. You could grab the sound track type from the first bookmark location (or store it in the bookmark itself). Then have a config file look something like:

Code:
Code:
RegisterTrailerDir(DTS,d:\      railers\\DTS) // Specify DTS dir
RegisterTrailerDir(DD,d:\       railers\\DD) // Specify DD dir

PlayTrailer(R,d:\       railers\\movies) // Play Random trailer at directory 
PlayTrailer(T) // Play Sound Trak Specific Trailer (if know, else do nothing)
PlayTrailer(S,d:\       railers\\personal\\myintro.avi) // Play Specific trailer
I think this would give a maximum of flexability but still keep it fairly simple.

-apnar

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Very cool option to add. I'm looking forward to another build of ZoomPlayer!

BTW - 1 non-related request would be a discrete key to close ZoomPlayer. Right now, the only way I can get my Theater automation system (Crestron/AMX/Phast) system to close ZoomPlayer is to send it ALT-F4 (via Serial connection). This command can be dangerous to send if the application has already been shut down :)

Oz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.