AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I created a specific thread to help make it easier to keep up with Zoom Player development instead of creating an announcement with each final version.
The first post will always be updated with links to the latest beta and final versions along with a useful change list.
I will update this thread with announcement of new version releases, answer any of your questions and even discuss a few technological issues I encounter from time to time.

DOWNLOAD . The full change history

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have released the 4K version of the Zoom Player onyx skin:
http://www.zoomplayer.com/skins/gui/Onyx%204K.zps

To install, simply open the "Onyx 4K.zps"file within Zoom Player.

Make sure you are running version 9.5 to ensure it works correctly.
This skin can be used on a regular 1080p TV to help the visually impaired as it uses really big buttons and timeline fonts that are much easier to read.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I tried Zoom on the suggestion of another forum member and liked it so much that I purchased it.
On my previous Windows install, Zoom worked beautiful out of the box.
I had to do a clean re-install of Windows and somehow Zoom has lots of tearing when playing my .wtv files. I've got it mostly figured out I think. But it should be nice if there was some sort of "guide" on how to get the best picture out of Zoom using all those little codecs and other things it asks to install.

Also, I am having a hard time finding out how to play 3D .mkv files with Zoom.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CZ Eddie:
For the best picture, you set the video renderer to MadVR and read about how to best configure MadVR (MadVR is not specific to Zoom Player and there are many guides to setting it up).

For decoding, for most common formats, you should use LAV Filters, which are already the default for the common formats.

With regards to 3D .mkv files, you need a 3D TV that works in the 3D format the video was encoded with.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Blight,

When I first got into HT, I bought a copy of ZP Pro and it worked great for DVDs. As I switched over to BDs I moved away from ZP to MPC and then MPC-HC. Since ZP supports LAV and MADVR - the filters I use in MPC, what does ZP offer over MPC-HC?

In the past, the presets were a nice feature (I run a CH setup). Are subtitles handled better? Why should I switch?

Regards,
Matt

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nightfly85:
Mainly UI and customization features, which are far more flexible in ZP compared to any other player. Especially the work to make the UI far friendlier for touch-input devices like the many $99 full windows tablets that are out this month.

With regards to subtitles, ZP might have a bit more integrated support for XySubFilter than MPC-HC or other players.

CZ Eddie:
I skimmed through the report. It looks like ehat has it noted.
I plan to do another massive bug-sweeping session for the more obscure bugs near the release of 9.6 final, hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks or so.
At that point I will have more time to go in-depth with this issue.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zoom Player MAX v9.6 beta 2 has been released.

This beta introduces a pre-configuration wizard for PC/HTPC/Tablet setups.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Since ZP supports LAV and MADVR - the filters I use in MPC, what does ZP offer over MPC-HC?
Are subtitles handled better? Why should I switch?
I've been using ZP for years, but also use MPC-HC on laptops or friends' computers, since it's free.

However, I stick with ZP Max (as an external player for XBMC/Kodi) for my HTPC primarily because of the built-in screensaver, which MPC doesn't have -- better for my plasma. I frankly don't use any of the library or file handling functions, since XBMC excels at that area.

MPC-HC's built-in subtitle handling is nice, but you can use either XYSubFilter or ffdShow within ZP to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CZ Eddie:
There are several 3D formats, SBS (side by side), blue/red, blue/green, etc.
ZP plays them as-is, it's the TV that takes the input and converts into something that is "3D".

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zoom Player MAX v9.6 beta 3 has been released.

Major rewrite dealing with how ZP handles mouse/touch input in the fullscreen navigation interfaces.

Hot corners can be used in windowed mode (optional, default off), an ability to lock the UI to prevent accidental clicks and bug fixes.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zoom Player MAX v9.6 beta 5 has been released.

A few new small features and lots more work on making the touch interface more reliable and logical.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zoom Player MAX v10 beta 6 has been released (skipped v9.6).

Many new features introduced, including two new fullscreen navigation interfaces (a media scanner and audio/subtitle stream selection), support for assigning functions to the 4th and 5th mouse buttons and more...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zoom Player MAX v10 beta 7 has been released.

It introduces the new mini color control interface that simplifies changing of color values (brightness/contrast/saturation/hue/gamma) while taking minimal screen space.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I have been using ZP for many many years. It is the best player for my needs (mostly an external player for WMC wtv). But I think it would be much more popular if it had more than just a plain file browser. I bet ZP would skyrocket if it had "media browsing" features similar to Mediabrowser, or XBMC, or Media Portal, or even WMP/WMC.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zoom Player MAX v10 release candidate 1 has been released!
This build is mostly bug fixes and may in fact be the final version if no bugs are reported.

Hammerdwn:
Are you referring to browsing by thumbnail? Grabbing meta-data off various services?
Screenshots work best :)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts