AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Zoom Player to play a movie from my hard drive, I am getting the message, "This player is incompatible with the region marking of this disc." However, the movie playes fine using Zoom Player to play the original DVD in the drive.

Zoom can play other movies from the HD without a problem.

The movie that Zoom complains about on the hard drive also plays fine using PowerDVD, but just the VOB files without the DVD menus (I also can't figure out how to get DVD menus to work from the HD using PowerDVD, but that's a different issue I'm not worried about).

I'd prefer to use Zoom to play all my movies, since I plan to set up the HTPC for remote control, and I probably will start using XLobby soon.

Any thoughts on why Zoom thinks there's a region issue from the HD and not from the DVD or why Zoom thinks there's a region issue from movie on HD and PowerDVD doesn't even notice on the same movie?

BTW, I did try the trial version of RegionFree and that didn't fix it. The movie is "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days."

Oh one other thing I tried that made no difference was to use the DOS subst command to assign a drive letter to that movie directory... same message from Zoom. PowerDVD, as expected, won't play it from there, though.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You have encountered region encoding protection. The easiest way to get rid of it is to copy your DVDs using DVDdecrypter which removes that protection on the fly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IFOEdit worked like a charm... So did Ripping 101.

Oddly enough, I didn't find the FAQ when searching for different combinations of "zoom" "region" and "hard drive". (I didn't think general enough to include "ripping". Doh).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.