Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hitachi 57SWX20B

Overscan is at ~4% on all sides, I can live with that.

4:3 expanded is so-so.

When watching a 4:3 program that has been 16:9 letterboxed like BMWFILMS 4:3 zoom mode is pretty close to opening the picture to full screen, but the sides are >10% overscanned and still leaves bars at the top and bottom, which means that the zoom is not proportionate.

Now the letterboxed program is a perfect 16:9. Is there any way to adjust the zoom so that there is an equal stretch of the picture.

So that when I zoom a letterboxed 4:3 NTSC pitcure it will fill the screen in zoom1???? OR EVEN MODIFY ZOOM2 to do that since zoom 2 is useless!!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm not going to be able to answer your question, but I wanted to make sure I understand what you are asking. As I stated in another thread, I believe that zoom does exactly what it implies...moves the picture closer to the viewer. It sounds like that what you want zoom to do is stretch the picture up-down and/or left-right to exactly fill the 16:9 screen. I don't think it does this. If the 4:3 letterboxed source is actually 2.35:1, for instance the TV does not take this into account when zooming (ie. it does not zoom AND stretch). If the LB 4:3 source is 1.85:1, then maybe zoom 1 works as you wish (coincidentally).

Are you asking if you can somehow in the service menu modify the zoom function to zoom and stretch?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
On the Hitachi SWX10b there are two zoom modes. One which does what you are describing (zooms top, bottom, and sides), and one that simply expands the top and bottom to remove the black bars. I would assume to 20b has the same options.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, let me make this simpler.

I want to have 4:3 zoom not zoom in as much.

Right now zoom takes the sides to >10% overscan, is there a way to adjust the zoom in the service menu to lessen the zoom????

Yes I understand zoom has no strectch, but if I can lessen the zoom, it would looks nice when zooming in on letterboxed 4:3 programs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.