AVS Forum banner

zooming out on a Optoma HD26

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  AV_Integrated 
#1 ·
Their docs show that my projected distance of 19 feet will have an image that ends up being too big for the wall im pointing at (180in diag), since the projector will sit on a mantle and the image will end up being fairly high up on the wall. They do have a zoom out wheel, will this realistically help?

The projector will sit on a mantle and due to offset height and the fact that Id like to lower the image down on the wall a bit more even if I am able to zoom out, I'd like to point the projector at somewhat of a downward angle. Do these things come with any correction features to adjust for a decent square?

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
The Optoma HD26 is a solid entry level model...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD26.htm

You should look at the projection calculator here:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD26-projection-calculator-pro.htm

From 19' lens to screen you can achieve an image diagonal between 162" and 177".

The projector MUST be placed 13" below the bottom edge of the screen if the projector is upright, or 13" above the top of the screen if the projector is inverted.

If this is not ideal for your setup, you should get a projector which works with your setup requirements since you seem to have specific setup requirements, it may steer you away from the cheapest product on the market right now.

Instead, perhaps the Epson 3000 which has significant lens shift and more zoom range is more appropriate.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3000.htm

#3 ·
wow. what a fantastic resource that projectorcentral, and their calculator, you linked me is; thanks so much for replying with some great info. I believe the HD26 may or may not work, depending on the amount of keystone correction it offers as my situation is the viewing wall is basically a triangle on top of a square and Im also dealing with having to mount the projector at a height of about 5 feet above the floor. So im pretty sure the only way to make it work is to angle it down a bit and that will need to be corrected with keystone. I guess ill take some more detailed measurements.

Or maybe not, maybe I should go with an Epson as I like that 60000:1 contrast figure. I guess thats due to LCD versus DLP on the Optoma? But the Epson has only 2300 lumens, quite a bit lower than the Optoma's 3200. Is LCD just more efficient with the lumens? Regardless, the calculator shows the Epson to be in the green as far as brightness at 20ft and min zoom, so potentially that lumens subject is moot?

Another plus for the Epson is their manual mentions much more that Optoma does as far as CEC goes. Optoma only mentions power on/off and the Epson manual seems to indicate there's more support for other commands.

#6 ·
wow. what a fantastic resource that projectorcentral, and their calculator, you linked me is; thanks so much for replying with some great info. I believe the HD26 may or may not work, depending on the amount of keystone correction it offers as my situation is the viewing wall is basically a triangle on top of a square and Im also dealing with having to mount the projector at a height of about 5 feet above the floor. So im pretty sure the only way to make it work is to angle it down a bit and that will need to be corrected with keystone. I guess ill take some more detailed measurements.
Projector Central is a great resource. You should read the projector reviews there, as well as at ProjectorReviews.com for some great info and ask here (or there) with questions.

You do have it figured out with keystone correction, but keystone correction gives up image quality and brightness when in use. It's a general guideline to avoid it. Unless the projector is significantly better on a projector, get a different model which fits your space.

Most notably, LENS SHIFT is the way to go. Lens shift is similar to keystone correction, except it physically 'shifts' the lens. It's a true optical correction, and maintains full quality, giving you greater placement flexibility. So, while the Optoma may REQURE you to have the lens 10" above the top of your screen for a specific screen size, the Epson allows you the freedom to put the projector 10" below the screen or in the middle of the screen, or 4" above the top of the screen, or anywhere between. It has some limitations, but those can be determined before you purchase.

Or maybe not, maybe I should go with an Epson as I like that 60000:1 contrast figure. I guess thats due to LCD versus DLP on the Optoma? But the Epson has only 2300 lumens, quite a bit lower than the Optoma's 3200. Is LCD just more efficient with the lumens? Regardless, the calculator shows the Epson to be in the green as far as brightness at 20ft and min zoom, so potentially that lumens subject is moot?
MANUFACTURER'S LIE

This is the golden rule of reading specifications. LCD projectors often are actually brighter than DLP models which have higher lumen ratings, and DLP projectors often have higher contrast than LCD models which are advertised with higher contrast.

So, what's the first thing I said? READ THE REVIEWS!

Professional reviews typically tell you what the real world brightness and contrast is for a projector. That's the stuff the counts, but at 120" or so in size, more or less, these models all produce plenty of brightness.

Another plus for the Epson is their manual mentions much more that Optoma does as far as CEC goes. Optoma only mentions power on/off and the Epson manual seems to indicate there's more support for other commands.
CEC is a joke. Get a good universal remote.

Repeat: CEC IS A JOKE

HDMI completely has messed things up with CEC and it does not work for the vast majority of people who want to take advantage of it. A good universal remote almost always is a far better solution.

#5 ·
Yes that's what the keystone adjustment is for but it is also never recommended to use it if possible because you are loosing the one to one pixel mapping degrading the image. On computer text and graphics it has a very noticeable impact though not as much on video. Using keystone will re size some of the picture not using the full 1080 x 1920 pixels of the display chip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.