AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always preferred ZoomPlayer's features but for some reason I would have trouble writing filter graphs in that ffdshow would cause an error on some of my computers but work fine on others. BTW all my PC's are more than powerful enough to run ffdshow, the error was always in line "whatever" even though the same graph would work on a different PC. As a result I switched to Theatertek when they came out with the latest update that allows the use of ffdshow in the options but I don't like the player and it's limitted features which is actually why most people prefer it. You can't please everyone I guess. Oh yeah and to boot I would need to pay for 4 copies of Theatertek to use on my 4 computers. This is pure crap in that I can only use one computer at a time; laptop for when I'm out and about, HTPC #1 for use with X1 in livingroom, HTPC #2 for use with Dell 3200MP in bedroom, HTPC #3 for use with 51-inch Hitachi in familyroom. I can't be in 4 places at once so why should I have to pay for 4 licenses? Anyway that's my own little gripe because I've been pissed off ever since I had to buy 4 copies of XP. I'm not dumping on Theatertek as I'm sure for most people it's a great player unless you own more than one PC. Personally I'm glad to see ZoomPlayer Pro with all of it's extra features. It's good to be home again. Thanks Blight.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Em, no problem. But I would appriciate at least 2 copies... (one for the home and one for the laptop), but that's just me. :p

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,929 Posts
Theatertek will allow you to use their software on however many PC's you own - simply send in a request for an additional activation code for your extra PC's. This policy is pretty clearly spelled out on their web site.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gsr
Theatertek will allow you to use their software on however many PC's you own - simply send in a request for an additional activation code for your extra PC's. This policy is pretty clearly spelled out on their web site.
But, unfortunately, you have to buy a copy of Windows XP for each computer in your house. You can buy OEM copies with hardware, though. I'm getting XP Home for $88 by ordering it OEM along with some parts for my new HTPC.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lava Lamp Freak
But, unfortunately, you have to buy a copy of Windows XP for each computer in your house. You can buy OEM copies with hardware, though. I'm getting XP Home for $88 by ordering it OEM along with some parts for my new HTPC.
I was responding specifically to the complaint that one would have to purchase multiple copies of Theatertek, which simply isn't true.

As to having to buy 4 copies of XP, there are obviously numerous reasons for and against this, but just because you may not be able to sit physically in front of all 4 machines at the same time doesn't mean they can't all be running simultaneously. By using network sharing and/or remote control software (PC Anywhere, Terminal Services, etc.), you could operate all 4 machines from any one machine. You'll have to purchase 4 copies of XP regardless of whether you decide to use Zoom Player or Theatertek.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.