Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ever since building my HTPC a year or so ago I've noticed that Zoomplayer (and other playback software I've tried) seems to have trouble smoothly navigating DVD menus. Doesn't matter whether I'm playing from the HD or direct from disc, I just don't get smooth navigation -- the "highlight" cursor freezes or disappears altogether, the transitions are stuttery, etc. Once the movie starts, everything is fine (most of the time).

Why is this?

My main question, though, is whether anyone else out there has a bunch of Baby Einstein videos on their HD and experiences freezes in Zoomplayer when trying to view the bonus material. Seems to be related to the problem above (the bonus material in question is navigation driven flashcards and the like). I had it working fine for a time, but now I get a freeze just about every time.

Are there tests I can run to make sure my data throughput can handle this kind of start/stop playback?

Thanks in advance...

(FWIW, I'm running a P4 2.4 on an ASUS P4P800-E deluxe with a gig of RAM, using the latest DScaler 5 codecs and a Radeon 9700 Pro. Have tried both Windowless and Renderless, with and w/o ffdshow)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the problem lies in your decoder. The Dscaler video codec is known to have some flaky menu navigation. I do infact have 12 baby einstein dvds ripped to my hard drive and have never noticed any lockups during the movie portion, i dont spend to much time on the extras. But if you say that the extras include alot of dvd navigation i would think its the same problem with the decoder.

i have both Dscaler and Nvidia dvd decoders installed , but primarily use the Nvidia decoders because of the stability and because it can de interlace.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I have a little one and one on the way. Baby Einstein videos or “Baby Crack†as we lovingly refer to them play just fine on my HTPC. However, my son is pretty young so he doesn’t watch the special features very much. I also use the Descaler decoder and yes it does deinterlace. I use ffdshow and the TomsMoComp deinterlacer to get what I think is the best quality I have ever seen for 480 60i video. Have you tried the latest version of zoom player. What are your computer specs? Maybe it is your processor that is causing the freezes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. My specs were at the bottom of my original post. I stopped overclocking my 2.4 (to 2.8) a while back... I guess it's possible the blame lies there. Maybe I'll give some other decoders a try as well. Already using the latest Zoomplayer...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.