AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've learned a lot from this forum but I've been asking question mostly. I felt like it was time for me to give back. So here it is...

Install WinDVD ( http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Produc...WinDVDPlatinum ), Zoom Player Pro ( http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/ ), and FFDShow ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/ ).

Updating WinDVD

1. Download the WinDVD patch ( ftp://218.219.66.58/pool/wdr_update1.exe ).

Do not install it. It won't work.

2. Extract the files. I used WinRAR by right-clicking on wdr_update1.exe.

3. Download i6comp and place it in the same directory as the files your extracted from wdr_update1.exe. At a command line run "i6comp e -r data1.cab". This will extract a bunch of files.

4. Replace the files in your windvd directory (ie. c:\\program files\\intervideo\\windvd4pr) and your bin directory (ie. c:\\program files\\intervideo\\common\\bin) with the files you just extracted.

WARNING!

Do not update the viFx* files! Keep the originals otherwise the Movie Effector will not work.

Now you have an updated version of WinDVD.

Configuring Zoom Player

1. Download the DMO_V Movie Effector filter (it's attached to this HOWTO) and place it in your Zoom Player DVDAutoGraph directory (ie. c:\\program files\\zoom player\\dvdautograph).

2. Open up Zoom Player and go to External under Player Options. Set the WinDVD options you would like and click "Apply WinDVD Settings."

3. Next go to DVD under the Player Options.

4. Set the Video Render to WMR9 (better picutre quality for those with NVIDIA cards). Choose Overlay if you experience problems with VMR9.

5. Set the Video Decoder to Intervideo WinDVD, the Audio Decoder to Intervideo DVD (or whichever you want if you have others installed), and the Audio Render to Default DirectSound Device (or whichever you wish. I use ReClock. http://ogo.nerim.net/reclockfilter/ ).

Now try to play a DVD to see if it works without any additional filters. If not try setting the Video Render to Overlay instead of VMR9. If you are getting a Macrovision error try restarting your computer. If everything is fine move on.

6. Go back to the DVD options. Under Additional Filters check "DMO_V Movie Effector" and "FFDShow Video Processor".

7. Highlight "FFDShow Video Processor" and click on the little button above Additional Filters. The FFDShow Configuration window should come up.

8. Make sure you have at least "Raw video" checked off under Codecs. Adjust the rest of the settings to your liking. There's an ffdshow FAQ ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=ffdshow+faq ).

dmo_v movie effector.zip 0.29296875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
First off, thanks so much for making this information available. But heres the rub... I've been reading different related forum posts for the last hour after configuring this and havent found a solution.

I followed your instructions to the T (as well as those of the FFDSHOW FAQ) and upon playback ZoomPlayer does not display any image at all, yet I can still hear the audio. I could have done something wrong I suppose, but I imagine the prblem lies somewhere else. Have you or anyone else had this problem?

Win XP SP1 on AMD 2400+ w/ 512MB PC2700.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
One other important factor for those of you who already have ZP:

This (Intervideo movie effector) only works with the FINAL version of ZP3. Yesterday I spend a couple of hours pulling my hair out, until I finally got the bright idea to update my ZP3 from the beta to the final version. All of a sudden, everything worked.

Onlyone - I wish I could help more, but I don't know enough about your system. If this is your first time with ZP, turn off all filters (ffdshow, etc.), then try and get an image and sound with variour video and audio codecs. When you get something that works, then add other filters one by one. This will pin down the problem a bit more.

Oh, and do NOT use VMR9. Try everything in Overlay first. VMR9 still has quite a few issues.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOne
First off, thanks so much for making this information available. But heres the rub... I've been reading different related forum posts for the last hour after configuring this and havent found a solution.

I followed your instructions to the T (as well as those of the FFDSHOW FAQ) and upon playback ZoomPlayer does not display any image at all, yet I can still hear the audio. I could have done something wrong I suppose, but I imagine the prblem lies somewhere else. Have you or anyone else had this problem?

Win XP SP1 on AMD 2400+ w/ 512MB PC2700.
I have exactly the same problem.. complete pitch black venster (4:3) + sound

Then I canceled wrm9 and choose O. mixer and got a slight improvement Now I could see a 16:9 gray venster with no video but sound

Next I canceled ffdshow and effector : no picture

Then I put back wrm9 and voila I got video, withour efector and ffdshow

To be sure I repeated the procedure but I could not replicate it, Still gray venster and eventually I got a Macrovision error according to Zoom that would not dissappear.

So I restarted windows and just prior to that I posted this message; will be continued..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well

I seem to have lost the overlay possibility. previuos to following Ye110man post, which makes a lot of sense to me, I could play Zoom3.00 pro (trial version) with windvd settings. and the overlay mixer (did not try the vmr9 yet). By the way I could not get dts and DD in SPDIF out until I executed: "Apply windvd settings" under Player options/external with my M-audio adiophile.

After rebooting I have sound (DTS) and video + vmr9 without the additional filters. Of course I tried to switch to overlay again, no picture, tried back: Macrovision failure and that is persistent. tried windvd only no video either.

Asus7v333 512 mb pc2700, geforce4400 nvidia 43.45

So I have to restart again, sigh

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem---complete pitch black picture with prefect audio. I then tried another filter (Sonic video), and the same thing happened! (This had oreviously been working fine.) I then tried various video filters, and all of them had nothing but black screen for video. I then uninstalled Zoom and re-installed Zoom, and everything then worked perfectly, including the latest WinDVD video with Movie effector and FFdshow. This has happened to me a couple of times, and I don't know what causes it, but the only solution I have found is to completely uninstall the latest Zoom and re-install. Very strange. I'm not sure if the problem is with Zoom or with the Windvd filter or what....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you Ye110man for putting this together!

You suggest installing the WinDVD Platinum. Will this same technique you describe work with earlier versions of WinDVD such 2.x or 3.x? In other words, if you already have an earlier version installed, do you need to upgrade to Platinum to this to work?

thanks,

Mac

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just copy and pasted the first windvd link i saw. it just happened to be windvd platinum. it should work with non-platinum versions but i'm nore sure about 2.x or 3.x. you can try it by skipping right to the configuring part without updating the windvd files.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok, I had to reboot because I started getting the same Macrovision error, and after the system came back up I turned off VMR9 and got picture back. And hot damn its one hell of an image. I had to tweak the settings for FFDSHOW a bit before getting the best image, but LORD! Id never noticed some of the details in Episode 2, not to mention the colors are ridiculously vibrant. Ye110man, you are awesome, thankyou! I'm a rookie to all of this and having compared Zoom to PowerDVD there is just no contest! My only remaining question is, if I setup Dscaler will I get an even clearer image?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dscaler will help with interlaced video. i don't have my episode 2 dvd on me right now but i'm sure it's not interlaced. there's no way lucas would have allowed it. the only interlaced dvd's i have are some chinese films and hbo material (sopranos and comedy specials).

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Onlyone - yes, quite shocking isn't it? Makes ya wonder why you didn't have it all along. Ffdshow, esp. with resize sharpening, makes all the difference.

No need for descaler unless you are playing interlaced DVD's, which are kinda rare. I only use descaler to watch SD broadcasts.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Okay...followed the instructions above and ZP is crashing on me whenever I attempt to use the MovieEffector filter in ZP. Works fine in WinDVD, and I can use other filters in ZP, but when I click the MovieEffector box in ZP and play a DVD...boom.

Thoughts?

Kevin.

·
Registered
161 Posts
No. Made sure those didn't get copied over...saw that in your original post. Strange part is, I have restored my orig. WinDVD installation from backup and I'm seeing the same problem, so it's not an issue with the "upgrade" as described above. I'm using your filtergraph as well.

kevin.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Can't see why people want to use Movie effector. :confused:

Last time I tried it gave me messed up colors.

Can you guys change the DMO filter settings (intesity etc) through Zoomplayer ??

Nima

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I think most are ONLY using the movie effector DMO, which should do nothing to the picture. We use it because it resolves the video lockups that occur when using WinDVD filters in ZP.

If you want to use or try the other filters, you have to tweak them in WinDVD Plat player. Those same settings will apply the next time you use ZP.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Are the newest Xpack (15 $) add-on video and audio drivers from Intervideo (WinDVD) for Windows mediaplayer comparable or even equal the newest WinDVD Platinum drivers to be used in Zoomplayer? Somehowe I don't think so..

Kyrill

Finally ffdshow works for Cineplayer (registered) in Zoomplayer pro (trial) but I get crashes or no picture with the trial versio of Platinum. So I have to buy Platimun for trying ffdshow I suppose, reason for above question

On my Hitachi 21 inch tube monitor it looks like Cineplayer + ffdshow is just as sharp as Platinum on its own. (BUT, one movie tried yet Bourne Identity and I cannot compare them side by side)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.