I've been looking forward to Disney Animation's Zootopia ever since I first saw a trailer for it. Even better, it was graded in Dolby Vision high dynamic range (HDR) with an Atmos immersive soundtrack for presentation in Dolby Cinema theaters, of which there are now 15 in the US and four in Europe. (For a complete list of locations, click here .)

Zootopia is being shown in the Dolby Cinema at the AMC Burbank 16 only during the day; in the evening, it's replaced by London Has Fallen, which isn't graded in Dolby Vision, nor does it have an Atmos soundtrack. I'm sure that's because Zootopia is supposedly aimed at children, most of whose parents won't take them out at night, while London Has Fallen is more adult fare and certainly more of a blockbuster. On the other hand, Zootopia has been kicking London's butt at the box office; both opened on the same day, and Zootopia brought in $75 million in the US over the weekend (a record for Disney Animation) versus $22 million for London Has Fallen.

Of course, Zootopia is completely kid-friendly, with anthropomorphic animals living together in relative harmony. Particularly funny are the slow-moving sloths as clerks at the DMV, Yax the naturist meditating yak (voiced by Tommy Chong), Mr. Big the tiny arctic shrew (voiced by Maurice LaMarche) doing a great send-up of Vito Corleone from The Godfather, and pop-star Gazelle (voiced by Shakira) in a Latin-tinged nod to Adele.

But there's much more to this story—in fact, it directly reflects one of the most important issues facing the world today: the fear and persecution of all Muslims because of a few extremist terrorists. This is not overtly spelled out in the movie, but the implication was perfectly clear to me, as I'm sure it will be to any adult who sees it.

As I've come to expect from Dolby Vision, the HDR imagery was stunning. The picture really popped with bright, saturated colors and super-deep blacks, and the shadow detail was exceptional, including the low-light shots (of which there are only a few). Particularly impressive was the shot of a speeding streetcar going off its rails at night, spraying bright sparks throughout the darkness.

After the movie ended, I stuck my head into one of the standard dynamic-range showings in progress, which looked very dull by comparison, with much lighter blacks, more muted colors, and less shadow detail. (Interestingly, there were many more people in that showing; I was one of only a handful in the Dolby Cinema presentation, perhaps because the ticket prices were $5 higher.)

The Dolby Atmos soundtrack was not as immersive as I've heard from other movies. Yes, there were moments when the sound effects extended throughout the room, and the music—beautifully composed by Michael Giacchino—was often mixed into the immersive soundfield. But I sensed more of the aural action taking place in the front than I'm used to.

The volume levels weren't too bad: Leq (average RMS level over the entire length of the movie plus trailers) = 88.9 dBZ (flat), 80.5 dBA, 87.6 dBC; Lmax (maximum 1-second RMS level) = 107.5 dBZ; L10 (level exceeded 10% of the time) = 92.7 dBZ; L50 (level exceeded 50% of the time) = 80.2 dBZ.

Zootopia is a delightful animated movie that deserves all the accolades it's getting. With plenty of elements to engage kids and adults alike, the story is a parable for our times. Even better, the Dolby Vision HDR version is spectacular, even if the Atmos soundtrack is not quite as immersive as I've heard in other examples. If you live near a Dolby Cinema, I highly recommend seeing it there—even if you have to ditch work or school during the day.