AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm trying to decide between panasonic 60' zt60 and lg 55ea9800.

Does lg have any significant advantage in terms of color production over pany aside from slight better blacks?

Usage is going to be for watching films only. I'll use my consoles on my w905 so lg's high input lag doesn't really matter. And i can fully control the lights so it isn't an issue also.

Lg is $2000 more than pany. Is it worth the extra cash?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
18,313 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Considering what ZTs are going for now and the deals that can be had from Cleveland Plasma (or maybe Value Electronics?) on an OLED, it's getting harder not to go with the LG. One of the best attributes of the ZT are it's blacks, and the OLED handily beats it in that regard. Still, 55" is 55"...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Go with the OLED from my personal experience it's much better than the ZT60 and I have experience with both however motion is better on the ZT60 that's about the only aspect I do like on the ZT60 outside of size better but the IR on the ZT60 is something that tends to bother me although it clears up fast it's just annoying sometimes

·
Banned
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1524501/zt60-or-lg-oled#post_24535880

You might want to check out the LG 55EA9800 owners thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493578/lg-55ea9800-55-oled-owners-thread/600_60#post_24529383

Sounds like garbage and LG setting themself up for a lawsuit with "store mode". I question why the two wealthiest tv manufacturers can't ever be honest about whats in the box versus whats on display? why do we need panel lotteries and store modes?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your answers.

I just happened to see that in a store the price of lg has gone down to the same price of pany.

I'll probably go for Lg in this case.

·
Premium Member
18,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick3  /t/1524501/zt60-or-lg-oled/0_60#post_24537192

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I just happened to see that in a store the price of lg has gone down to the same price of pany.

I'll probably go for Lg in this case.

I'd still go with the Panny.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1524501/zt60-or-lg-oled#post_24537265

I'd still go with the Panny.
And may i ask your justification aside from pany's bigger screen size?

·
Banned
385 Posts
OLED is not ready for prime, unless you don't mind interpolation and kind of short life span then go for it

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
That would be my concern, plasma is a mature technology. OLED is not

·
Premium Member
18,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick3  /t/1524501/zt60-or-lg-oled/0_60#post_24537346

And may i ask your justification aside from pany's bigger screen size?

The bigger screen has nothing to do with it.

The biggest reason is that the Panny is flat. It also has a better AR Filter and it doesn't horizontally stretch the reflections like the LG does. Plasma technology is mature where OLED is still an unknown quantity. And Panasonic's build quality and quality control is better than LG's. I am impressed by the PQ of the few OLEDs i've seen but am extremely turned off by any TV that is curved, and i also don't think they're ready for prime time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1524501/zt60-or-lg-oled#post_24537627

The bigger screen has nothing to do with it.

The biggest reason is that the Panny is flat. It also has a better AR Filter and it doesn't horizontally stretch the reflections like the LG does. Plasma technology is mature where OLED is still an unknown quantity. And Panasonic's build quality and quality control is better than LG's. I am impressed by the PQ of the few OLEDs i've seen but am extremely turned off by any TV that is curved, and i also don't think they're ready for prime time.
Yeah,these are reasonable reasons' i'll give you that. Though unlike most people, the curved screen really appeals to me as tv is going to be in my room and i'll be the only one using it so when sitting at the sweet spot i assume the curve screen will improve the immersive feeling.

Though it's in fact a downside if a few people watches it but it's not the case for me.

As for ar filter; as i said in the first post, i have full control of lights, in fact the room i'm going to place it is relatively dark so whether it has an efficient filter really doesn't matter that much.

I guess i'll take my chance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, i will.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Lol if you like I can answer the questions for many of the better sets people talk about on this forum I have a vt50 purchased my father a zt60 back in December have a samsung s9c looking to order the gallery oled this week and also have a pioneer 111 and also purchased my father the 141 so between my place and his place after watching all these sets extensively I would still go with the LG oled if you want really good input call Robert at value electronics he will give you a very honest answer buy an extended warranty for the set just in case but there is no proof with these sets that you may not have a long lifespan they have not been around long enough too tell

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
55" versus 60" isn't a big gap. You said movies only, so the choice is pretty clear. I haven't had the LG long enough to fully take it in, but it should overall make you happier (24 fps motion won't be a problem with the LG, and the motion smoothing is highly configurable or can be disabled altogether). Just don't look too closely for dead pixels.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OP - others have said it better, but plasma is matured and perfected. While OLED is new and very unstable. I don't know your financial situation, but unless the cost isn't a factor, I'd go with plasma 10 times out of 10.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts