AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have had a few people tell me they are disappointed with there oled picture ,adj include ,fake looking picture ,grainy . but then u read the reviews and claims they are the best thing since sliced bread, the 2016 models only .Im thinking about getting e series 65inch .

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Those are pretty subjective impressions, and you can acclimate to the differences pretty easily. Yes, OLED shows video compression noise more readily (could be construed as grain), but that's the side effect of having an unbeatable contrast ratio.

The uniformity problem I'm referring to is vertical banding and vignetting near black. There's every chance you could get a great one on the first or second try, but that's not guaranteed.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think it's pretty simple, BluRay sources on OLED can blow Plasma away but lower quality stuff can vary and some be noticeably worse than Plasma. On top of that there is the near black uniformity issue which will vary from panel to panel and also apparently by how many hours you have on your OLED. Near black will never match a VT, ZT, or KURO but it's possible to get a panel where it isn't overly distracting from the amazing benefits of OLED. It is kind of a gamble but LG has been very good (in general) with customer service and that's good.

If your a gamer there is also the issues of lag and IR, and while the KURO is as good or better at IR resistance as LG OLED the ZT definitely is worse so that's good and all LG's should have lower lag than any of those Plasma's

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
The other day i read a post of a OLED owner who misses his Plasma. He mentioned uniformity and motion. Anyway, don't go with the hype. When you feel happy as it is stick with the Plasma. When you have upgrade fever go for the OLED..

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went to best buy to check them out, the motion is what i noticed the most or lack there of ,would true motion on its lightest setting solve this issue . HDR and 4k my zt gets killed ,for regular blu ray i think my zt wins by a nose ,regular cable is a toss up. also compared the e series and b series both pictures look the same.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Depends on your viewing habits. I'm watching the Olympics on my ST60 and it looks stunning. The Oleds will give you a brighter looking clearer picture. Great contrast and ofcourse blacks are phenomenal too. Motion is better on the plasma in my view but not much. If you don't need a new tv, I wouldn't rush. If you are going to invest in a new 4K player and pay more for streaming 4K and just need to have the latest technology than go for it. As OLED will be the right upgrade from your ZT.

Reactions: Sonyboy

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
went to best buy to check them out, the motion is what i noticed the most or lack there of ,would true motion on its lightest setting solve this issue . HDR and 4k my zt gets killed ,for regular blu ray i think my zt wins by a nose ,regular cable is a toss up. also compared the e series and b series both pictures look the same.
Most definitely. On my several visits it was quite noticeable that motion was off. I decided to move forward and try it out. I'm doing things a little differently though. I am going with 55 and will be an upgrade to my bedroom display. I can then have time to see what I think. My plan is to replace my primary display next year. The 55 will really help me make long term decisions in regards to moving forward with a 65 and up display.

The 55 while not cheap, isn't over the top expensive either. Replacing my secondary display before primary will really determine what happens in the living room next year.

Looking forward to a bunch of football, blu-ray concerts and movies.
Got tired of trying to decide based on Best Buy visits. If this display has issues I will be sharing. Hoping after set-up I'm blown away and can live with the negatives. It is replacing an LCD (Sony 55 XBR8) and will trounce it I'm sure but motion issues are obvious no matter the tech.

I will be following motion first and foremost over all. The C6 is waiting for me to pick-up. I think Thursday.

Rick

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Motion is highly configurable. In my experience, it's the easiest thing to get accustomed to with OLED coming from a ZT60. The hardest thing for me is the step down in near-black uniformity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts