AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear of these guys? They have what appears to be an excellent deal on a computer with a Dvine Case and Windows Media Center for $1400!

Go Here:

http://www.ztgroup.com/cs10HT.asp

Anyone have a ZTGroup Computer? What do you think?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Doesn't seem like a great deal. An OK deal though. Looks nice but its kind of crippled with that AIW Radeon 7500. You'd think they'd shell out the extra 30$ and throw in at least an AIW 8500.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Not bad, but I can make it for $ 900, case included, and it will run at 3.3GHz instead of 2.4.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I mean I can make it for me, not for somebody else, thanks, no services or sales offered.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by galileo2000
Not bad, but I can make it for $ 900, case included, and it will run at 3.3GHz instead of 2.4.
Really? I tried to add us the sum of the parts and this is what I came up with:

$220 Dvine 4 Case

$ 70 PS

$ 30 VFD Display for Dvine

$130 MB

$180 2.4GHz

$100 512MB

$ 80 80Gig Drive

$100 AIW 9000

$100 Audigy 2

$ 50 DVD Drive

$100 CDR Drive

$100 Windows XP Home (Media Center not available separately)

---------

$1260

Besides, Windows Media Center is ONLY available with a new company. This was important before, but I think I've decided to go with MyHTPC instead. Oh, yeah, there is a $150 rebate offer on this computer and its out-of-state (CA)...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Really.

I am not going to go thru your math and compare it to mine, and yes, Media XP disk is not included, but really...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
And thanks for the encouragement. Just ordered d.Vine case. Life is too short:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Really.

I am not going to go thru your math and compare it to mine, and yes, Media XP disk is not included, but really...
Ah, shucks... please... :p I'd love to get a similar setup for $900. I'm not afraid of building it...

Love the Dvine Case! Did you get the VFD? Was you price close to mine?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I didn't get the VFD, I will attempt to use ones I have. If not, I'll order it. I got it for $260 total with 550W PSU included.

I'll be out of town until Oct 22, when I'll come back, I will buid it and I'll post the results and picture and price.

Best.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Don't forget : Intel will cut prices on Oct 26 when they will announce Prescott. It will give me few bucks more head start :) And don't forget, well-overclocked P4 2.4 runs STABLE at 3.3Ghz which means almost twice as fast as your "regular" 2.4 Ghz in terms of video/audio encoding.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
RacerChris,

I know I can do it under $900. However, I cancelled my order for d.Vine case.

Reasons:

- case will not accept "normal" power supply, only STX.

It is close to impossible to find STX PSU over 200W. Which means PC will be under-powered.

- it will only take 60mm fans, which don't provide enough air flow;

- As I mentioned, my PC's are overclocked to almost a Gig. Which means they are quite hot. I will not be able to achieve same speeds and stability with this otherwise excellent case.

Enjoy it if you decide to buy it.

Best.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:

- case will not accept "normal" power supply, only STX.

It is close to impossible to find STX PSU over 200W. Which means PC will be under-powered.

I understand you were referring to the X6096. This looks very much like a regular DIGN4, which I have. Unless they do something special with the case, it will fit a regular ATX PSU.

______

Axel

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Thanks Axel.

Can anybody confirm/deny that d.Vine series x cases will take regular ATX PSU?

If that's the case, I'll buy this case :)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Just got over the phone w/the guy from colorcase.com. Ordered d.Vine 4 because this model WILL take any power supply.(Not 5, 6 or 7).

$258 w/VFD.

Wish me luck:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Just got over the phone w/the guy from colorcase.com. Ordered d.Vine 4 because this model WILL take any power supply.(Not 5, 6 or 7).

$258 w/VFD.

Wish me luck:)
Galileo,

Ah, very nice. Did you get black or silver? The Dvine 4 is the case for me too. The others seem smaller and limiting in many ways.

That's almost a third of your budget, still a MB, CPU, Video, HD and DVD to go... ;)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Hi Chris.

I am almost done. And I am very close to my budget.

I got silver Dign4 w/VFD for $258.

Motherboard: Abit IS7 (Gig LAN,USB, 1394, AC97 w/SPDIF) $99

CPU P4 2.8Ghz 800 FSB $187

RAM Geil PC3200 DDR400 512MB $85

CD-RW/DVD drive Lite-on 32x48x48 $46

Video card Radeon 9600 SE 128mb $108

Hard drive Seagate Barracuda Plus 120GB $60 after rebate

Power supply Silent 550W Thermal Control $20

Thermalright SP-94 + Zalman 92mm quiet fan kit $55

Total is $918.

But notice that my system is much faster and better than advertised.

- faster CPU (and we can see as of how much once I get it);

- faster and better RAM;

-better video card;

-larger hard drive;

-USB2/1394/Gigabyte LAN...

I should be able to finish it by next Tuersday if not sooner.

Best.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Oh, I just noticed another thing.

Click on "customize and order" for their cheaper ($1399) model. Scroll down without changing anything. Price shown is $2569.

Huh?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Oh, I just noticed another thing.

Click on "customize and order" for their cheaper ($1399) model. Scroll down without changing anything. Price shown is $2569.

Huh?
Galileo,

Interesting. Definitely a typo.

FYI, I actually have bought, received and returned this computer. The reason I returned it is because the PS was WAY too noisy and the computer was not silent while in standby. The folks at ZTGroup were VERY accommodating and concluded that the PS was fault, but was unable to get the computer to be silent during standby.

I suggest you make EVERY effort to use quiet fans, sound absorbing materials etc with the Dvine case, otherwise you will not be happy with the noise level. I have pretty much decided to put mine in the AV closet. One more thing, although the VFD is cool, it is too small to read from my couch AND it did not power down while in standby....

Your mileage may vary....

At this time, I am building my own computer...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
So did you give up d.Vine idea altogether?

You can't do it, Chris, you got me started on my fourth and most expensive HTPC.

Wow, I tried for nothing then..:)

As of VFD, Axel was able to accomodate Matrix Orbital 20x4 VFD into his d.Vine 4. Interesting solution, but I most probably won't do it. VFD is a nice toy for the house guests amusement.

As of noisyness of the d.Vine-based computers, I am aware of the issue. HX_Guy posted a nice thread on this.

Now, did you experience any heat issues with your ZTgroup machine? Lockups, reboots etc.? Did you do any CPU-intensive tasks with this thing?

It would be a shame if this silver beauty turned out just an expensive DVD player.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
OK, I am done.

2.8Ghz P IV at 3.617Ghz stable.

CPU temp idle 35C, Load 50C.

Stabble...

I am in love with this machine...

Fastest. Coolest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.