AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone listened to, or know anything about the Zu cable Method subwoofer? I have anthony gallo reference 3.1's, and im looking for a sub with tight, accurate, hard hitting bass to go with them. That sounds like what the method offers. Their website says they are very musical with is what i want, but i also will be using it HT. I don't see much info in these forums about them.....just wondered if anyone has any experience with them......

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has ever heard of ZU cable Method SUBS?

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/12975192

Their website says they are very musical

Have you ever read a product description that said their product was bad?

Personally, I have doubts about a company that also sells $3,000 speaker cables. You can bet with near-certainty you are not getting a good bargain, even if it is a quality product.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefivezero /forum/post/12994554

Have you ever read a product description that said their product was bad?

Personally, I have doubts about a company that also sells $3,000 speaker cables. You can bet with near-certainty you are not getting a good bargain, even if it is a quality product.

You should hear the Zu Druid speakers. Expensive but great sounding nonetheless. Zu is more known for 2ch listening than HT. I got to hear the Druid by accident as I had gone to a shop to listen to much cheaper speakers and there was a guy already demoing them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that that too.......the one review i read that xcjago mentioned wrote very favorably about it......but im not about to spend that much money based on one review

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont find a sub to be all important in HT. I love the gallo 3.1's, but the one thing I like more of with music is hard hitting tight bass..the one review of the Method sub said it was one of the fastest subs he has heard

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well do you have a dealer near by where you can hear one? You have to understand that most of the guys in this forum are all about HT and mostly care about extension and output. Accuracy and speed are not the most important thing when it comes to HT subs.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/12994602

I thought that that too.......the one review i read that xcjago mentioned wrote very favorably about it......but im not about to spend that much money based on one review

I wasn't all that impressed in the lack of objective information regarding performance. Whenever a reviewer sounds like he's reviewing a wine rather than a subwoofer, its time to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Zu makes GREAT speakers,for tube amps and OTL's more importantly. I never heard the sub but the speakers they make sound great...and superlative when matched with quality tube amplification.

The sub is more for music,to extend the Druid. I would go with something else for an all rounder(HT also).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys.....i would love to hear it, but there is no local dealer. What does everyone think about martin logan subs?

·
Registered
8,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/12997152

Thanks for the input guys.....i would love to hear it, but there is no local dealer. What does everyone think about martin logan subs?

I would take a good look at the SVS SB-12 Plus. It should compete well with Martin-Logan. SVS may have a B-Stock unit for $599 plus shipping. People sometimes buy two SB-12 Plus', and are very satisfied.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have got to ask the obvious. Have you looked at the Craigsub thread in this sub forum? If not then you should. He ranks subs by how they perform for HT and music and gives them an seperate score for each. Statements to the effect that subs can to be either great for music or great for home theater are oversimplistic and dated. Many subs are geat for both. You are getting some good responses to your question but you still ought to read that thread. Just looking at the rankings and summary is more than a great start. Reading the entire thread to get the opinions of fellow forum members will give you a subwoofer education. I would be very skeptical of a sub you have not heard nor does it seem anyone on this forum has come forward to say they have heard. Just because a company makes great speakers does not mean they make a great sub or maybe they do make a great sub but is it competively priced? I too would shy away from anybody that tries to sell $3,000 speaker wire. But, then again, if you got the $$$$ you could buy one of these Method subs and tell us all about it.

Tom

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Tobester is right about referring to the Craigsub thread, but its too long to read the entire thread.

I'd suggest looking at the ranking on its first page and then do a thread search for additional information on any sub that captures your interest.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/12998696

Tobester is right about referring to the Craigsub thread, but its too long to read the entire thread.

I'd suggest looking at the ranking on its first page and then do a thread search for additional information on any sub that captures your interest.

Good point. Since I have been reading that thread for Months I may not have a good handle on just how many hours I have devoted to it.

Tom

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what about the Epik valor or castle? I always thought sealed boxes made for tighter, more accurate bass. This is the case right? If so, the valor would probably be a better choice for me? Is there any way to demo them before buying?

·
Registered
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave98svt /forum/post/13003869

what about the Epik valor or castle? I always thought sealed boxes made for tighter, more accurate bass. This is the case right? If so, the valor would probably be a better choice for me? Is there any way to demo them before buying?

Actually according to craigsub the av123 MFW-15 did better on music than the Epik Valor. So the sealed vs ported on music I guess varies by the sub.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not sure of your budget but I have Gallo Ref 3.1s paired with a JL Fathom F113 and am very happy with the combination. The JL is very fast with little to no overhang and blends extremely well with the Refs. I have them crossed at 60Hz.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Zu makes excellent stuff! I went and visited the factory and had a demo in one of the founder/owner's homes and was thoroughly impressed with the Druid speakers. I didnt get a chance to listen to the subs, but I wouldnt hesitate to buy one. I hope to own a pair of their Definition MK2 someday soon.

As far as the Method goes, you can use the 60-day trial to your advantage. Shipping would probably be $70-$100 if you decided not to keep it. Seems like a decent 2 month "rental" fee if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts