AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, my 30 gig Zune player froze up today.. I don't know, maybe a leap year bug and all will be well tomorrow.

We'll see.

Zune Extinction Event: Microsoft Music Players All Freeze Up at Once

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Microsoft Corp.'s Zune portable music player is suffering from a glitch that may have frozen thousands of units in the latest setback for the world's biggest software company.

On Wednesday, Zune owners flooded blogs and Internet chat sites to complain that they couldn't listen to music on the 30-gigabyte version of the Zune, an early version of the device, because it wouldn't start up properly.

The postings noted that the digital music players get stuck on the Zune logo screen when the machine's software is loading.

A message on the Zune support Web site acknowledged the problem and informed customers Microsoft was working to address it, but didn't identify the cause. It is unclear how many versions of the device are affected.

"We are aware that customers with Zune 30GB devices are experiencing issues with their Zune device," a Microsoft spokesman, in a separate statement, said. "We are actively working now to isolate the issue and develop a plan to address it. We will keep customers informed on next steps via the support page on zune.net."

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My 360 went E 74 yesterday. I was going to buy myself a Zune for Christmas cause I love music but hate apple, now glad I didn't.

Bought a Jasper and I'm feeling fine.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User /forum/post/15426713

My 360 went E 74 yesterday. I was going to buy myself a Zune for Christmas cause I love music but hate apple, now glad I didn't.

Bought a Jasper and I'm feeling fine.

If you bought the Zune this Christmas you would have been fine. The newer Zune's are OK, this bug is only affecting the older 30GB Zune. They are 2 years old now, I think.

BTW the official explanation is this is a leap year bug and tomorrow all the 30GB Zunes will work fine. I guess the internal clock in the units didn't expect a leap year.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Plus it's not even just the Zune that had issues. The same hardware some Toshiba gigabeats are based on had the same issues. Then again that's not as interesting as another chance to take a crack at MS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.