With movie theaters around the world closed for an indeterminate period of time, along with the shutdown of restaurants and clubs and sports, home entertainment provides an outlet that keeps boredom at bay. And one of the most cost-effective ways to enhance your home entertainment options is with a Blu-ray player. Yes… a Blu-ray player!
The scope of the coronavirus pandemic is such that the Internet itself is being stressed by all the new traffic, resulting in Disney+ and Netflix cutting streaming bandwidth in Europe. And even if there is no shortage of server-side bandwidth, households that now need to support a whole family’s viewing habits, as well as work-from home activities like teleconferencing, could easily find their Internet service pushed to its limits.
But Blu-ray takes up zero Internet bandwidth and offers picture excellent Picture quality and sound. We’re even not talking about 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray here, regular HD Blu-ray provides excellent quality, as well as an expansive catalog of titles that are inexpensive to purchase. PS3 and PS4 console owners can also play HD Blu-rays on optical drive-equipped consoles.
Of course, if you have got the budget and a compatible display, you’ll probably want to look at a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player—or an Xbox One—since they are also compatible with regular Blu-rays and DVDs. You can find UHD Blu-ray players at prices starting under $200.
Even with HD Blu-ray you’ll enjoy quality that rivals the best streaming options and with 4K you’ll enjoy full theatrical-quality movies in the comfort of your home, all without using up Internet bandwidth.
Ultra HD Blu-ray Players
– Affordable 4K player
– Supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision playback
– Plays Blu-rays & DVDs, streams in 4K
– High-dynamic range playback in three 4K/HDR formats HDR10+, HDR10 and hybrid log-gamma (hlg)
– Panasonic HCX Processor for precise Chroma and HDR processing
– 4K high-precision Chroma Processor 4K image color signals (4: 2: 0) are interpolated into 4K (4: 4: 4) by a multi-tap Chroma process
– Works with Alexa command a variety of operations without your remote
Microsoft’s Xbox One is of the most complete and capable entertainment system is that you can buy, with excellent streaming capabilities, a built-in Ultra HD Blu-ray drive, and of course its ability to play games. Meanwhile, the Xbox One X offers enhanced gaming graphics for modest increase in price. Either console offers everything you need to enjoy music, movies and gaming at a cost that’s not much higher than a dedicated Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
– Plays Ultra HD Blu-ray and regular blu-ray
– Tons of video games available
– Also a great platform for streaming
– One device that does it all
– Need to buy a version of the console that includes a drive
HD Blu-ray Players
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works here.