Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the usage of the ArgyllCMS tools to create 3D color look-up tables for the eeColor box. You may also be interested in using these tools for your HTPC with the MadVR rendering package.

For those DIYers who would like a free, very powerful cLUT generator for their eeColor box you can now use the ArgyllCMS tools to write out a properly formatted color look-up table (cLUT) for this device. Many thanks to Graeme Gill for implementing this into his software package! Also, a thank you to Florian Höch for developing dispcalGui and initial work on generating 3DLUT formatted output for the eeColor box.

I started out with a simple 2 pt. grayscale + brightness/contrast calibration and put the color control on native (it's worst setting). Using the ArgyllCMS tools I then calibrated the video card to the same white point, average gamma and peak white setting. Next I profiled the display using 3 different patch sets, 750 OFPS (Optimized Farthest Point Sampling), 1500 OFPS, and a 17x17x17 regular cube. Using the profile ArgyllCMS calculates the mapping required to match your source space (Rec709 for us) to your device and generates the 3DLUT in a format that can be uploaded by the eeColor TruVue application.

Here are some results using my Samsung D8000 display. All measurements were made with a Display Pro (D3) profiled against an i1Pro Rev E (2) spectrometer. After loading each 3DLUT to the eeColor box, I remeasured the same 750 OFPS patch set used to create the 1st 3DLUT.

The 750 patch profile set did an excellent job at reducing errors at all but 6% of the patches where errors actually increase (see plot note). Upping the density to 1500 smoothed out some of those bumps but the 17^3 profile had no statistical advantage over the 1500 OFPS.

Saturation runs at 75% stimulus through YCbCr chain (DVD player w/GCD disk)

Before cLUT

After with 750 OFPS based cLUT

After with 1500 OFPS based cLUT

After with 17^3 grid based cLUT

I have done one other cLUT test starting first with a calibration using the display internal CMS. The only advantage here was that I could reduce the number of patches in the profile to 500 and achieve the same performance as above.

There was some concern expressed in one of the other 3DLUT threads about the stability of the D3 using adaptive mode on Plasmas. I did many tests using the ArgyllCMS drivers for this device which have been specifically fine-tuned to optimize both speed and precision on refresh displays. I found absolutely no problems in repeatability or sensitivity with these measurements. The minimum integration time is set for 400 ms but you can manually override that if desired.

I will follow up in next post with a tutorial.

More data on the eeColor processor performance using various software packages can be found here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Required Hardware
  1. An ArgyllCMS supported colorimeter or spectrophotometer
  2. A commercial version of the eeColor processor

Required software for command line operation
  1. ArgyllCMS - Download the latest version and follow the installation instructions and any probe specific installation notes. The D3 does not require any driver installation, the i1 pro Revs D and E do.
  2. Source space .icm files(used in Step V)
  3. TruVue Application software

Optional Software: Test pattern generator and GUI frontend
  1. madTPG supplied in madVR package
  2. dispcalGUI

Prior to using either the dispcalGUI example or the command line example, you should adjust your display (if possible) to D65 at the reference white level. Also, if available, choose a gamut setting larger than your desired source gamut.

Connect the eeColor box to your display and the PC/laptop to the eeColor box via HDMI. Turn the eeColor box processing off (eeC off on the remote) while profiling.

[dispcalGUI instructions]

-Borrowed heavily from the madVR thread -

This example will build a 3d-LUT for the eeColor processor assuming it will be used for video level processing. Calibration of the video card is not used in this example for simplicity and not recommended unless you know you have a specific need for it. The madTPG test pattern generator is also used as it has the ability to dither the test patterns to better than 8-bit resolution and allows for configuration of the pattern background for plasma profiling.

A. Install ArgyllCMS, DispcalGUI, and MadVR
  1. Extract ArcgyllCMS to a folder of your choice (ie. C:\Argyll_Vx.x.x) == [ArgyllCMS_install_folder]
  2. Install DispcalGUI to a folder of your choice == [DispcalGUI_install_folder]
  3. Extract MadVR to a folder of your choice (ie. C:\MadVR)
  4. Run 'install.bat' in the MadVR folder as Administrator

B. Create eeColor compatible 3DLUT from ArgyllCMS tools
1. Start MadVR Test Pattern Generator
  1. Open madTPG.exe from the MadVR install folder, move the window to your display.
  2. Enable "use fullscreen"
  3. Enable "disable VideoLuts"
  4. Enable "disable 3dlut"
  5. Right click on madVR icon in system tray and select device->properties. Make sure display level settings are correct for what your display expects, either video 16-235 or PC 0-255.

2. Start DispcalGUI

3. Set the following settings in DispcalGUI
  1. Select 'madVR' under Settings
  2. Select 'White level drift compensation' under display device (Only select black level drift compensation if you have an older meter without internal black drift compensation)
  3. Select 'XYZ LUT+matrix' for profile type
  4. Select 'XXL testchart for LUT profiles, optimized for Gamma 2.2 with Rec. 709 (D65)' for testchart file
  5. Click 'profile only' button. The duration of the process will depend on the speed of your meter.
  6. Uncheck 'Embed calibration curves in profile'

4. After the process is complete click "don't install profile" and then go to Tools in the menu bar and select 'Create 3D LUT...'

5. Set the following settings for Create 3D LUT tool
  1. Select 'eeColor Box (.txt)' for 3D LUT file format
  2. For Source profile file, browse to the Rec709.icm file from the 'ref' sub-directory in the program path of ArgyllCMS
  3. For Target profile file, browse to the .icm file created from the profile process or press use current
  4. For Input Encoding Select 'TV RGB 16-235'
  5. Enable 'Apply BT.1886 gamma mapping' and select '2.4 Absolute'
  6. Select 'Absolute colorimetic with white point scaling' for Rendering intent
  7. Click on 'Create 3D LUT...' button
  8. Provide the filename and location to save the 3DLUT (It is convenient to store the file in the TruVue Application directory Data\3dtable\standard nonrgb led\General Media

C. Follow Buzz's guide to upload the LUT to the eeColor processor
  1. There are 6 memory slots available on the eeColor Box. Rename the .txt file you created to 3DLUT_X.txt where X is the memory slot number.

D. Verify (proof) your 3DLUT using dispcalGUI

This can be done by measuring the display response directly with the eeColor processor on and your LUT active, or via virtual LUT (soft proofing) method.

1. (eeC On, LUT active) Set the following after clicking Tools->Measurement Report
  1. Select 'verify_video_extended.ti1' for Testchart and RGB
  2. Check Simulation profile and select 'Rec709.icm'
  3. Check 'Use simulation profile as target profile'
  4. Check 'Apply BT.1886 gamma mapping' and choose 2.4 + Absolute
  5. Select the profile that was created during profile measurements as the Target profile
  6. Click measure

After the process is complete, an HTML report will be generated and automatically loaded into your default browser. It should look like this.

2. (eeC Off, Virtual LUT) Set the following after clicking Tools->Measurement Report

*In order to soft proof you will need to create a device link profile with normal full range linking. This can be done by repeating steps B.5 above and selecting Full Range RGB 0-255 for both input and output encoding.

1. Select 'verify_video_extended.ti1' for Testchart and RGB
  2. Check Simulation profile and select 'Rec709.icm'
  3. Check 'Use simulation profile as target profile'
  4. Check 'Apply BT.1886 gamma mapping' and choose 2.4 Absolute'
  5. Check 'DeviceLink profile' and select the full range version of your device link profile*
  6. Select the profile that was created during profile measurements as the Target profile
  7. Click measure

After the process is complete, an HTML report will be generated and automatically loaded into your default browser.

[Command line tools example]

The example command line arguments below follows a similar process to the dispcalGUI flow above but uses a different set of target patches. Use of the -E switch in dispread is needed if your display expects Video levels and they are not provided by your video card.

I. Verify Levels

dispwin -v -d2 -c
[Do this first to load a linear calibration to the video card]

-v verbose
-d2 (which display you are working on in extended desktop, usually 1 is the pc and 2 is the eeColor box connected to your display [identified as SII Repeater])

To check that video card levels are matched to display levels:

dispcal -v -d2 -r -yr -X d3.ccmx
[This will give you a quick report of black and white level, color temperature and estimated gamma]

-d2 use second display found
-r Report on calibrated device
-yr refresh mode for probe
-X use the named correction matrix

II. Generate targets

This depends a bit on how large your color errors are and if they have any unusually steep gradients in one part of the gamut or another, but in general I would recommend starting with around 1000 patches to test the work flow. For complicated gamuts I've found you need no more than 2500 OFPS patches. For the sharp elites you may need as many as 4500, (see madVR thread)

targen -v -d3 -B4 -e4 -G -f1000 -g40 -s20 -c Rec709.icm display
[creates targets in file display.ti1]

-d3 Video RGB
-B4 4 black patches
-e4 4 white patches
-G good optimized OFPS rather than Fast
-g 40 add 40 neutral axis patches
-s 20 add 20 single channel patches
-c precondition using Rec709 color space, replace with previously measured native .icm for more efficient patch distribution

III. Measure targets

dispread -v -d2 -yr -E -X d3.ccmx -Iw display
[measures targets from .ti1 file and writes .ti3 file]

-E Output video levels (needed when video card is full range but display expects limited range) otherwise remove
-Iw White drift compensation (useful for plasma panel fatigue)

IV. Generate icm profile

colprof -v -qh -bl -ax display
[takes results from .ti3 file and creates .icm profile]

-qh high quality
-bl low quality B2A table (since B2A table is not used in cLUT creation)
-ax XYZ Lut algorithm

V. Link source and device profiles and output 3DLUT

collink -v -qh -G -IB -ia -3e -et -Et Rec709.icm display.icm display_link

-qh high quality
-G gamut mapping mode
-IB BT.1886 output offset (absolute, 2.4)
-ia gamut mapping mode intent=absolute colorimetric (generally gives best results)
-3e eeColor box output
-et input is 16-235 levels
-Et output is 16-235 levels

The 3DLUT file to upload to the eeColor box will be created as display_link.txt

note: The default -3e output when not using the -Et switch will be a 3DLUT for use with 0-255 RGB input/output. This option will also generate 6 files that will be needed to properly treat 255 code inputs.

VI. Upload 3DLUTs to eeColor box

Follow Buzz's guide (2nd post) if you are using YCbCr flow.

For full-range RGB in/out 3DLUTs you will also need to replace the following 6 files in the directory truvue\Data\default:

first1dred.txt
first1dgreen.txt
first1dblue.txt
second1dred.txt
second1dgreen.txt
second1dblue.txt

with the equivalents produced by collink. Also, check the box "Calibration Values" in the Download selection. You can load the calibration values at the same time as the 3DLUTs or by themselves.

If you wish to restore linear calibration values for YCbCr use:

I have made some OSD images that can be used instead of the stock ones.

-Hitman-, ConnecTEDDD and DrFaxe like this.
post #3 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Welcome to the fray. smile.gif Your work with Argyll has been a fascinating watch. It won't be long before everyone will be using 3D LUTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I started out with a simple 2 pt. grayscale + brightness/contrast calibration and put the color control on native (it's worst setting).

The Samsung Color Space does indeed need to be set to Native as it turns off the processing. Custom and Auto play havoc with LUTs. FWIW I have a new F8000 arriving tomorrow so I'll soon be able to verify the same applies to the 2013 models.

Quote:

The 750 patch profile set did an excellent job at reducing errors at all but 6% of the patches where errors actually increase (see plot note). Upping the density to 1500 smoothed out some of those bumps but the 17^3 profile had no statistical advantage over the 1500 OFPS.

Schmastistically speaking, for example, LightSpace 4913 profile LUTs vs Calman 771 point, graph about the same. The difference is in the viewing of content. It is especially evident in paused video where color nuance between LUTs is almost like turning Darblet processing on and off. Moving video is another case though - very difficult to see any difference.
Icaro likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #4 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Now we just need madshi to implement a custom pixel shader into MadVR that can take one of these 3dluts!! biggrin.gif

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #5 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Schmastistically speaking, for example, LightSpace 4913 profile LUTs vs Calman 771 point, graph about the same. The difference is in the viewing of content. It is especially evident in paused video where color nuance between LUTs is almost like turning Darblet processing on and off. Moving video is another case though - very difficult to see any difference.

In addition to the statistical data, I have not seen any visual difference between the two cLUTs (1500 OFPS vs. 17^3) in any material moving or not and I spent considerable time looking for it. It's simply a waste of time measuring the additional ~3413 patches, at least for this display. It won't hurt of course but if someone claims it's a must to get the best result I won't believe it. It's also no mystery why this happens, the brute-force grid spacing is just not an efficient way to fill the volume.

@N3W813: madshi already has the shader working, you just need to find someone to translate the eeColor cLUT into whatever format MadVR wants.
post #6 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In addition to the statistical data, I have not seen any visual difference between the two cLUTs (1500 OFPS vs. 17^3) in any material moving or not and I spent considerable time looking for it. It's simply a waste of time measuring the additional ~3413 patches, at least for this display. It won't hurt of course but if someone claims it's a must to get the best result I won't believe it. It's also no mystery why this happens, the brute-force grid spacing is just not an efficient way to fill the volume.

LightSpace has several tools for cleaning up LUTs.

Quote:

at least for this display.

For sure. I have a DLP (going into the garage tomorrow) that is completely useless.

Buzz

post #7 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Very cool zoyd.

$600 for the eeColor box is still a sizeable investment for me at this stage, but its certainly getting to the point where I can consider it.
post #8 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@N3W813: madshi already has the shader working, you just need to find someone to translate the eeColor cLUT into whatever format MadVR wants.

In the current version 0.86.1? confused.gif

post #9 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

In the current version 0.86.1? confused.gif

well the last time I tried it (don't know what version) you could load 3DLUTs. Someone had written a tool (ti3parser I think) to take ArgyllCMS output and write a madVR formatted LUT. When I tried it the luminances were all off but I'm now thinking that was because I hadn't matched my display card peak white to the display peak white.
post #10 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well the last time I tried it (don't know what version) you could load 3DLUTs. Someone had written a tool (ti3parser I think) to take ArgyllCMS output and write a madVR formatted LUT. When I tried it the luminances were all off but I'm now thinking that was because I hadn't matched my display card peak white to the display peak white.

So how do you match a video card peak white to a display peak white using ArgyllCMS (or DispcalGUI)? smile.gif

post #11 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

sorry, didn't say that right. I think the peak white (or video card range) was not set the same between profiling in dispcalGUI vs. displaying and verifying through MPC-HC+madVR with the cLUT since the chromaticities looked good but all the luminances were off.
post #12 of 292 Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Now we just need madshi to implement a custom pixel shader into MadVR that can take one of these 3dluts!! biggrin.gif

The "3dlut" is (essentially) an ICC device link. I've suggested this approach in the past.
See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1526114#post1526114
post #13 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zoyd I can use with my probe eecolor i1 display pro or need anything else? thanks
post #14 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 AM

I've tried to use ArgyllCMS a number of times, but have never got acceptable results.
I'M not totally sure why, but the need to go via an ICC (ICM) profile has always bothered me.
ICC profiles are notoriously poor at accurate calibration, specifically in shadow, which is why there are 'Black Compensation' features in programs such as Photoshop.

I've also tested by converting known accurate LUTs into ICC profile and compared the results, and the ICC profiles are always 'different'...
Converting ICC profiles into 3D LUTs always produced matching results.

Worse, ICC profiles often produce different results in different systems - applied differently.

Other than differences in LUTs with different cube sizes, and so some variation in the interpolation, I have not seen such issues with real 3D LUTs.

I also struggle to understand the various required software 'pre-sets' in ArgyllCMS. With true independent profiling I can't see a need for such settings, which leads me to think the profiling is not all it suggest it is - but that's just a personal feeling.

However, as an alternative to other calibration systems such as CalMan, it is interesting.
post #15 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondavid View Post

Zoyd I can use with my probe eecolor i1 display pro or need anything else? thanks

That will work fine but will always be more accurate if profiled from a spectro.

AVS will probably kick my a$$ for this but the eeBoxes are available from me for $650 including shipping, handling, insurance, and tracking. International shipping is $30 more and includes testing of the Box, power supply, and remote control to avoid the possibility of any immediate warranty returns due to inoperative units. buzz@NaplesDisplayCalibration.com
Leondavid likes this.

Buzz

post #16 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

That will work fine but will always be more accurate if profiled from a spectro.

AVS will probably kick my a$$ for this but the eeBoxes are available from me for $650 including shipping, handling, insurance, and tracking. International shipping is $30 more and includes testing of the Box, power supply, and remote control to avoid the possibility of any immediate warranty returns due to inoperative units. buzz@NaplesDisplayCalibration.com
thanks buzz! x now try to handle me with what I have, because I'm not a lot of money! I'm out of work and I find it difficult when I have the money, I'll order. thanks for everything
post #17 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFilm View Post

I've tried to use ArgyllCMS a number of times, but have never got acceptable results.
I'M not totally sure why, but the need to go via an ICC (ICM) profile has always bothered me.
ICC profiles are notoriously poor at accurate calibration, specifically in shadow, which is why there are 'Black Compensation' features in programs such as Photoshop.

I've also tested by converting known accurate LUTs into ICC profile and compared the results, and the ICC profiles are always 'different'...
Converting ICC profiles into 3D LUTs always produced matching results.

Worse, ICC profiles often produce different results in different systems - applied differently.

Other than differences in LUTs with different cube sizes, and so some variation in the interpolation, I have not seen such issues with real 3D LUTs.

I also struggle to understand the various required software 'pre-sets' in ArgyllCMS. With true independent profiling I can't see a need for such settings, which leads me to think the profiling is not all it suggest it is - but that's just a personal feeling.

However, as an alternative to other calibration systems such as CalMan, it is interesting.
I tried the above a couple of times over the weekend, only changing the last step to use Ti3parser to create a MadVR compatible 3dlut. The result measured very well (avg dE <0.6) but watching actual content was full of posterisation and green tint in the dark shadows. The fault is likely on my end, but I don't know where to go from here so will put it down for a bit.

Maybe I need to buy one of these eeboxes smile.gif
post #18 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think you need to distinguish between the accuracy of a device profile, as pertaining to how well it captures the behavior of a display, and how accurate an overall color transformation is when two device profiles are used by a CMM (Color Management Module). The latter is subject to the details of how the device profiles are linked. Default CMM's make use of the built in device profile inversion tables (B2A tables), and there are some fundamental limitations to the idea of mixing and matching profiles that use pre-computed tables, leading to the sort of black problems that require workarounds such as BPC (Black Point compensation), and other issues regarding gamut mapping.

But with the right tools you can bypass these weaker parts of using ICC profiles. A smart linker (such as ArgyllCMS collink) can properly and accurately create a device link profile, which is as super-set of typical 3DLuts. In fact, using a profiling approach opens up a number of possibilities that are quite hard do using pure calibration, such as computing multiple different emulations from a single set of display measurements, or properly adjusting for viewing conditions, etc.
Quote:

Yes, with device profiles that's a possibility. But not with device links. They are relatively unambiguous, as you've observed about 3DLuts.
Quote:

ArgyllCMS is a toolkit. It gets used for a wide variety of color management tasks, hence a bunch of options. One of the things it can do, is to create a device link that allows one device (say the display you've got) to accurately emulate a device you haven't got (say an idealized video display). In the print world, that's called "proofing".
post #19 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

I tried the above a couple of times over the weekend, only changing the last step to use Ti3parser to create a MadVR compatible 3dlut. The result measured very well (avg dE <0.6) but watching actual content was full of posterisation and green tint in the dark shadows. The fault is likely on my end, but I don't know where to go from here so will put it down for a bit.

Maybe I need to buy one of these eeboxes smile.gif

I don't think it was your fault, I had the same experience with the MadVR .3dlut operation. Good performance above a certain luminance level and artifacting in shadows. The eeColor box does not have that problem.
post #20 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As Graeme explained, this work flow is different than the example you cite. I have independently calculated the 3DLUTs via direct transformation of the measurements to RGB space, calculating the look-up values to match Rec709 colors, and then interpolating these with a modified Shepards's algorithm to the 65^3 grid. Testing with these LUTs produced results that matched the performance measured with the Argyll LUTs shown in the first post. So as a baseline Argyll produces very accurate LUTs, but will also have the ability to do look matching and environmental compensation as well.
post #21 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think it was your fault, I had the same experience with the MadVR .3dlut operation. Good performance above a certain luminance level and artifacting in shadows. The eeColor box does not have that problem.

This is also what I was getting at....the current 3dlut implementation of yCMS in MadVR does not produce acceptable results. I know it is on Madshi's to-do list to implement a better color correction system in MadVR but I just hope it is towards the top of his list. smile.gif

post #22 of 292 Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:

As Graeme explained, this work flow is different than the example you cite. I have independently calculated the 3DLUTs via direct transformation of the measurements to RGB space, calculating the look-up values to match Rec709 colors, and then interpolating these with a modified Shepards's algorithm to the 65^3 grid. Testing with these LUTs produced results that matched the performance measured with the Argyll LUTs shown in the first post. So as a baseline Argyll produces very accurate LUTs, but will also have the ability to do look matching and environmental compensation as well.
I was only reporting my direct experience and results.
In all the attempts I made to produce calibrations the results were not as I expected, or as generated via different calibration systems.
Direct comparison on the calibration showed errors I could not accept.
My experience means I have effectively given up trying to use this approach, and have stuck with what works for me.
post #23 of 292 Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In all the attempts I made to produce calibrations the results were not as I expected, or as generated via different calibration systems.
Direct comparison on the calibration showed errors I could not accept.
My experience means I have effectively given up trying to use this approach, and have stuck with what works for me.

Bet that as it may, an ICC profiling approach can and does work, if you do it the right way, with the right tools. After all, there's nothing that special about ICC profiles - they are at their heart a documented, standardized, tag based 1DLut/matrix/3DLut file format, used to store all combinations of tristimulus & device space mappings (device profile, device link & abstract profile).
post #24 of 292 Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Out of curiosity, why is it that video card manufactures allows 3 1DLUT corrections to the RGB channels but not a way to input a full 3DLUT correction with ICC/ICM profiles? Would something like that be difficult to implement in the hardware?

I think charging customers $300-500 for a higher-end video card should include such functionality.... rolleyes.gif

post #25 of 292 Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM

One of the calibration manufacturers I know has actually been discussing just that with Nvidia...

I'm keeping my finger's crossed!

biggrin.gif
post #26 of 292 Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One of the calibration manufacturers I know has actually been discussing just that with Nvidia...

I'm keeping my finger's crossed!

biggrin.gif
Considering the 16-235 issue with HDMI on NVIDIA is still present over 6 years after it was first raised, I wouldn't hold my breath...
post #27 of 292 Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some tests of the transfer function and neutral axis calibration pre/post LUT for some different link switches. The switch -I b has been added to collink to create a BT.1886 source transfer function to emulate.

Starting point, no LUT, 2.2 gamma calibration. White dotted line is desired function, blue is average gamma.

Lut active using source Rec709_gamma22.icm with intent switch -ial (absolute colorimetric) . Note that gamma and gray scale are preserved when source/target are matched.

Source Rec709_gamma235.icm with intent switch -ial. Note gamma is set at desired level but gray scale errors have increased.

Source Rec709.icm with BT.1886 switch (-I b) and intent switch -irl (relative colorimetric). Note that gamma loosely approximates desire BT.1886 curve (white dotted line) with some small errors introduced into the gray scale.

My conclusion here is that if you want to calibrate to a specific transfer function (gamma) the best approach is to calibrate the display to that function first and then use a source space containing the same transfer function. It is also important to include gray patches to the test set so I have updated the tutorial to include those (add switch -g 50 to targen).
post #28 of 292 Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I rearrange things a bit and move the eeColor 3dlut code into a separate utility that converts an ICC device link, then it probably wouldn't be too hard to add some other 3dlut formats such as the one that MadVR uses (the extreme grid resolution of the MadVR cluts would likely be too slow to generate in Argyll's collink, while interpolating the device link up will be much faster).
post #29 of 292 Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post

If I rearrange things a bit and move the eeColor 3dlut code into a separate utility that converts an ICC device link, then it probably wouldn't be too hard to add some other 3dlut formats such as the one that MadVR uses (the extreme grid resolution of the MadVR cluts would likely be too slow to generate in Argyll's collink, while interpolating the device link up will be much faster).

That would be great! Let me know what I can do to help. Beta test, donations, etc. wink.gif

Thanks Graeme! biggrin.gif

post #30 of 292 Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

I'd be happy to help test a solution for MadVR as well. My previous tries using zoyd's method above and then that Ti3parser tool at the end did not yield good results at all.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page